PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Blount retires

An affectionate salute to one of the biggest camera whores I've ever seen. Flash back to Malcolm Butler on the sidelines after his historic interception. The camera could barely pick him up because LGB attached himself to him and wouldn't move; all you could see was the back of Blount's jersey for several minutes until someone finally pried him off. Flash back to James White after his TD in overtime against Atlanta. The camera picks him a few seconds later and who (knowing Sweet Feet would be shown) tackles him in the end zone on live TV. Then, fast foward a minute later and Bill and Tom are just getting ready to hug it out in the middle of the field. Who sprints over there and jumps in between them and starts yelling "You're the greatest" to both of them, again on live TV?

I loves me some LGB but not as much as loves being on TV during Super Bowls.

Was surprised to read he played the most games in his career with the Pats.

Classic Blount:

4p4oxb.gif

4p4qst.gif

He reminded me a little of Corey Dillon. Nicer guy. Obviously Corey in 04 was insanely good and Blount was never that but he was a force of his own and it was fun to watch those physical runs.

Thanks for helping with a couple of titles and good luck on what's next LGB!

Not while he was with the Pats, but this deserves a mention. Unfortunately, Buck was the play by play guy...

I remember a game where he dragged like six players toward the goal line for several extra yards.. Beautiful football.

Many great memories of him:

the first colts playoff game where he had that 60 or 70 yard td run.

getting jettisoned out of Pittsburgh and signing with us immediately after to win a sb with us.

bodyslamming j white in the end zone after sb winning td.

carring 10 Steelers for almost 10 yards in 2016 afcc

He really made a lot of people miss with his head fakes and jokes. I also really appreciated him as a kick returner

LeGarrette Blount reveals why Bill Belichick passed on re-signing him before he went to the Eagles

LeGarrette Blount was a key piece for the New England Patriots and Philadelphia Eagles Super Bowl teams, helping each franchise win the Super Bowl in back-to-back seasons. Before Blount led the Eagles to Super Bowl glory, he was a key piece in the Patriots run game -- leading the league with 18 rushing touchdowns in his final season in New England.

Blount was a free agent after the Patriots' Super Bowl 51 championship, wishing to return to New England in the hopes of repeating. Blount, who announced his retirement Saturday, was surprised by Belichick's response when he was working on coming back to the Patriots.

"I called Bill up and said 'I want to be here. I know y'all want me to be here,'" Blount said on the CBS Sports Fantasy Football Today podcast. "I'm like 'Let's figure this out.' He calls me back, says 'You played well for us...we love you, we appreciate you, but you averaged the lowest yards per carry in your career. You averaged 3.9 a carry.'"

"I said 'Bill, you gave me the ball 300 times. How am I supposed to average 4.5 yards per carry on 300 carries? Bro, I'm going to have to average a 20 or 30-yard run every day to keep that average up.' There were games where he was giving me 20 carries and I'm having 70 yards. That's just the way the game goes.

"I couldn't believe he brought that up. All respect to him because I love Bill to death. That's my dude. That's my guy. I love him to death. He's the greatest coach of all time."

Blount recorded 299 carries for 1,161 yards and 18 touchdowns in that 2016 season for the Patriots, while also rushing for a touchdown in the postseason. The 3.9 yards per carry was a career-low, but Blount clearly had plenty of game left at 30 years old. Blount signed a one-year deal with the Eagles in May of the 2017 offseason and finished with 173 carries for 766 yards and two touchdowns, averaging 4.4 yards per carry. In the postseason, Blount finished with 29 carries for 130 yards and three touchdowns -- including 14 carries for 90 yards and a touchdown in the Eagles' Super Bowl 52 victory over the Patriots.

Because of Belichick worrying about yards per carry, Blount ended up in Philadelphia -- a veteran leader on the Eagles' first Super Bowl championship team. Blount also cost Belichick a sixth Super Bowl title (Belichick did get that a year later) in the process.

LeGarrette Blount reveals why Bill Belichick passed on re-signing him before he went to the Eagles

LeGarrette Blount was a key piece for the New England Patriots and Philadelphia Eagles Super Bowl teams, helping each franchise win the Super Bowl in back-to-back seasons. Before Blount led the Eagles to Super Bowl glory, he was a key piece in the Patriots run game -- leading the league with 18 rushing touchdowns in his final season in New England.

Blount was a free agent after the Patriots' Super Bowl 51 championship, wishing to return to New England in the hopes of repeating. Blount, who announced his retirement Saturday, was surprised by Belichick's response when he was working on coming back to the Patriots.

"I called Bill up and said 'I want to be here. I know y'all want me to be here,'" Blount said on the CBS Sports Fantasy Football Today podcast. "I'm like 'Let's figure this out.' He calls me back, says 'You played well for us...we love you, we appreciate you, but you averaged the lowest yards per carry in your career. You averaged 3.9 a carry.'"

"I said 'Bill, you gave me the ball 300 times. How am I supposed to average 4.5 yards per carry on 300 carries? Bro, I'm going to have to average a 20 or 30-yard run every day to keep that average up.' There were games where he was giving me 20 carries and I'm having 70 yards. That's just the way the game goes.

"I couldn't believe he brought that up. All respect to him because I love Bill to death. That's my dude. That's my guy. I love him to death. He's the greatest coach of all time."

Blount recorded 299 carries for 1,161 yards and 18 touchdowns in that 2016 season for the Patriots, while also rushing for a touchdown in the postseason. The 3.9 yards per carry was a career-low, but Blount clearly had plenty of game left at 30 years old. Blount signed a one-year deal with the Eagles in May of the 2017 offseason and finished with 173 carries for 766 yards and two touchdowns, averaging 4.4 yards per carry. In the postseason, Blount finished with 29 carries for 130 yards and three touchdowns -- including 14 carries for 90 yards and a touchdown in the Eagles' Super Bowl 52 victory over the Patriots.

Because of Belichick worrying about yards per carry, Blount ended up in Philadelphia -- a veteran leader on the Eagles' first Super Bowl championship team. Blount also cost Belichick a sixth Super Bowl title (Belichick did get that a year later) in the process.
Add that to Billy's Blunders Greatest Hits Collection. Regarding the 3.9 yards per carry, Blount's rebuttal should've been that the average goes down every time he's getting carries near the goal line as lot of those TD's were easy walk in 1-2 yard runs. Also, many runs were in obvious short yardage situations where teams were selling out to stop the run.

And this isn't the first time Billy's Blunder cost them a big game, passing on Emmanuel Sanders in 2014 came back to haunt him in the 2015 AFCCG as he caught a few back breaking 3rd down passes and led them in receiving yards.

Last edited:
Thank you for my 2016 FF Win!

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back