PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill's walking a dangerous line with DT, DB depth

tonyto3690

Banned
Reaction score
Right now we have 2 quality DTs.

Right now we have 3 quality CBs, 1 one of which may miss time.

Right now we have 1 quality S, and complete garbage behind him.

Any of those guys go down and we're looking at JAGs starting for us. I for one don't want to have to relive 2011 and seeing the defense give up 40 yard bombs every three plays.

Moves incoming? Or is the roster more or less set?

Any of those guys go down and we're looking at JAGs starting for us. I for one don't want to have to relive 2011 and seeing the defense give up 40 yard bombs every three plays.

I read the title as if you meant the Buffalo Bills. :D

The Bills don't have a legitimate quarterback. They're only premier weapon is CJ Spiller and the Pats are just fine at taking away the running game and thumping a good back if he gets to the second level.

Less than a week to opening day, ladies and gentlemen.

I read the title as if you meant the Buffalo Bills. :D

Likewise. Oh, the power of apostrophes! (I'll edit the title.)

I am only concerned with the depth at corner. Four is not a lot and sometimes they drop like flies. I also really want to see who takes over the gunner spot opposite Slater now that Cole has been cut. Punt Coverage is going to be really important now that we have a guy that is capable of outkicking everyone, but those fears were slightly mitigated when I knew we had two guys capable of forcing fair catches.

By quality I assume you mean a backup that can replace a starter
with little drop in production.

Isn't it hard to get quality depth at all positions?
If there is a team out there that does please let me know.

There are ways to compensate for not having quality depth at all
positions.

For example, if Kelly goes down you might run primarily a 3-4 D and use more of the quality depth at line backer

If Talib went down you might move McCourty to Corner and adjust the
D to accommodate the change.

BB I am sure has a plan for every starter that may go down.

Cmon Tony, I hope you aren't becoming one of those fans who demands an all pro at every position in order to be happy. How quickly you forget that the when the Pats went to the superbowl in 011, Deadrick and Love (an UDFA and 7th round rookie) were the #2 and #3 DT'

The Pats are probably better situated with Kelly and Wilfolk at DT/NT than they have been since Warren and Seymour were in town. Don't forget that beyond all the young kids, Armstead IS coming back thiss year. Another thing to factor in, is (if preseason is any indication) the Pats might be running more 3-4 this season, which requires one less DLman.

Its fair to say the DT's is an area where EXPERIENCED depth is a question, but thinking BB's
"walking a dangerous line" smacks of hyperbole

Cmon Tony, I hope you aren't becoming one of those fans who demands an all pro at every position in order to be happy. How quickly you forget that the when the Pats went to the superbowl in 011, Deadrick and Love (an UDFA and 7th round rookie) were the #2 and #3 DT'

The Pats are probably better situated with Kelly and Wilfolk at DT/NT than they have been since Warren and Seymour were in town. Don't forget that beyond all the young kids, Armstead IS coming back thiss year. Another thing to factor in, is (if preseason is any indication) the Pats might be running more 3-4 this season, which requires one less DLman.

Its fair to say the DT's is an area where EXPERIENCED depth is a question, but thinking BB's
"walking a dangerous line" smacks of hyperbole
Going to the Superbowl and winning the Superbowl are two very different things ken. The Superbowl winning Defenses were far more talented and deeper than any Patriots Defense in recent memory.

Rebuild, re-tool or whatever you want to call it, but BB has fluffed a lot of defensive picks in the past 5 or so years. FTR, yes, yes I know he also hits a lot.

I understand the Pats have acquired Richard Sherman, JJ Watt, N. Suh and an all-pro safety to be named for 7th round draft choices starting in 2224 (does that make you feel better?). Should address your concerns

I am only concerned with the depth at corner. Four is not a lot and sometimes they drop like flies. I also really want to see who takes over the gunner spot opposite Slater now that Cole has been cut. Punt Coverage is going to be really important now that we have a guy that is capable of outkicking everyone, but those fears were slightly mitigated when I knew we had two guys capable of forcing fair catches.

Relax! Cole is back! I agreed with your concern.

I don't think they have ever had a ton of depth at either position as its really hard to find even quality starters. Right now I think they are in good shape at corner as long as Denard stays out of jail. Tackle, you have to hope that one of the young guys can fill in well enough when needed like Love, Deadrick have in the past. Wonder when Armstead might become available.

Maybe, but it is what it is ... It is too late to add anything other than JAG level depth.

At DT the Patriots will live and die with Wilfork, if he goes down their DTs immediately become worst in the league.

At CB at least they have an above average CB with Talib, the rest are the usual lot of stiffs. Too many whiffs to mention, when Talib goes down they will go to battle with unproven marginal talent with results to be similar to the past several seasons.

Safety play should be a little better in coverage but looks to be a very soft tackling unit

I must be crumpy but I see a young try hard type team, but not an elite championship unit. Aka New England Braves.. Another Norris trophy banner coming our way...

Relax! Cole is back! I agreed with your concern.

Yup, cole is back and I like everything I read about aj Francis. Looks like the dolphins got caught trying to sneak this guy through.

Interesting that both aj Francis and Villano spent the offseason at that workout, training facility in Miami - bommaritto performance, same place that guys like Torrey smith, Shawne merriman and Vernon Davis went.

Going to the Superbowl and winning the Superbowl are two very different things ken.

Not really imo unless you expect there to be zero variance in 5 games that have all been decided by 3 points (one was 4). I don't think flipping the winners and losers in any of those games could be described as "very different" results.

I think it's remarkable that a team perennially lurking at the bottom of the player-acquisition order is able to limit roster holes to the degree the Pats do.

Oh, also this: :p

166730.jpg

If Talib went down you might move McCourty to Corner and adjust the D to accommodate the change.

BB I am sure has a plan for every starter that may go down.

Yeah, good luck with that...

We are carrying 10 OL this will change, more moves are coming, check after the Jets game for the 'stable' roster. You could even see a guy like Cunningham after the first game if healthy.

Going to the Superbowl and winning the Superbowl are two very different things.

Not really imo unless you expect there to be zero variance in 5 games that have all been decided by 3 points (one was 4). I don't think flipping the winners and losers in any of those games could be described as "very different" results.

Agreed, but you conveniently left out the remaining relevant part of ausbacker's post:

The Superbowl winning Defenses were far more talented and deeper than any Patriots Defense in recent memory.

Is this debatable?

Call me crazy but I actually like Vellano and Francis as prospects at DT. High character, high motor guys; the types who can perform beyond their athletic skillset due to their dedication and hard work. I'm not sure at what point they'll be able to fill in without a drop off in performance but I'm optimistic about their future.

Call me crazy but I actually like Vellano and Francis as prospects at DT. High character, high motor guys; the types who can perform beyond their athletic skillset due to their dedication and hard work. I'm not sure at what point they'll be able to fill in without a drop off in performance but I'm optimistic about their future.

Not crazy. The risk is they are low on the learning curve so they need experience to see what they can be, but BB must feel there is a higher up side with these guys than Love and Deaderick. Similarly, Ryan and Harmon are question marks in the defensive backfield, but potential is there. Record number of rookies this year for BB means more uncertainty.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back