PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Simmons killing it

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rule is there in some form or fashion and it could have been called. Who knows maybe it should have been called. But this type of call is much like PI: a ton of subjectivity and a lot of uncertainty as to when exactly to blow the whistle/throw the flag. Add in that it was the SB with its 'let them play' mentality and I believe the no call is arguably justifiable.

IMHO the 'in the grasp' non call being blamed for the loss is pure grousing, nothing more. IMHO, floating further off topic, to me that loss will always go down as the unsatisfactory OL performance. Again just my humble opinion but every other facet played well enough to win. If the OL could have provided just a modestly satisfactory pass protection performance, the Patriots walk away winners and probably by a relatively comfortable margin.
It's over. Let it go. Enjoy the 2014 season redemption.

It's over. Let it go. Enjoy the 2014 season redemption.

I agree though the thread sub topic is X posts long. If there is posting on it doesn't it seems appropriate to add a response?

The rule is there in some form or fashion and it could have been called. Who knows maybe it should have been called. But this type of call is much like PI: a ton of subjectivity and a lot of uncertainty as to when exactly to blow the whistle/throw the flag. Add in that it was the SB with its 'let them play' mentality and I believe the no call is arguably justifiable.

IMHO the 'in the grasp' non call being blamed for the loss is pure grousing, nothing more. IMHO, floating further off topic, to me that loss will always go down as the unsatisfactory OL performance. Again just my humble opinion but every other facet played well enough to win. If the OL could have provided just a modestly satisfactory pass protection performance, the Patriots walk away winners and probably by a relatively comfortable margin.

I think interior OL was a major contributing factor in both SB losses. Makes sense: Neal leaving SB42 was one of the underrated turning points in that game. And Mankins playing SB46 with a torn ACL in one knee and a torn MCL in the other was downright admirable--I'll always respect the hell out of him for that--but it definitely showed in his play.

I agree though the thread sub topic is X posts long. If there is posting on it doesn't it seems appropriate to add a response?
I just meant that there are so many what ifs that you could go nuts ruminating on it. It is what it is. #4 is nice. Embrace the hate for the FU tour to #5.

I think interior OL was a major contributing factor in both SB losses. Makes sense: Neal leaving SB42 was one of the underrated turning points in that game. And Mankins playing SB46 with a torn ACL in one knee and a torn MCL in the other was downright admirable--I'll always respect the hell out of him for that--but it definitely showed in his play.

I had completely forgot about that. Considering the Giant DL was playing at an insanely high degree, losing Neal definitely would have been a BFD.

What about the times when Gray and Blount covered themselves in Vaseline, so the Colts could not get a hold of them?

When is the last time you heard the ref state "in the grasp". They did away with that

DaBruinz, it has been almost ten years (or more) since I've seen a play whistled dead because of the QB being "in the grasp" of a defender. There is no mention of this in the NFL rule book. I know originally it was in there for the protection of the QB, but it started getting ridiculous , so the rule was taken off the books. That's not saying a ref won't blow the play dead because a QB is wrapped up and refuses to go down, but it won't be because of the antiquated "in the grasp" rule. Trust me, I wish it was called for SB 42.

I don't remem,ber the rule being changed.

It was called in the first Miami game in 2008 (the original Wildcat game). Matt Cassell ran out of the pocket up the middle for a TD on one of our first possessions, but the ref called in the grasp because one Miami defender attempted to grab Cassell as he ran through him. It was a bs call that changed the entire tone of the game.

On the flip side, you could have Big Ben wrapped up with two players and he'd still be allowed to wiggle his way out.

Yes. Neal, Faulk, Brady with a high ankle sprain....there was another significant injury. Can't remember.

Okay, I stand corrected. I couldn't find it in the rule book, but thanks to the efforts of QuantumMechanic, I now know where to find it. I still can't recall seeing this called for years, though I don't doubt for one second what all you folks have pointed out. I just need to pay better attention during games!!
As for DaBruinz relating the Mike Carey mea culpa on not calling it in SB42, that just peels off the scab all over again. Carey should have just kept that to himself.
I didn't know that about Mike Carey....

That call would have changed everything.

That sucks. Oh well.

The worse time management of any championship football game were the Eagles and McNabb in SB 39, they seemed confused and disorganized.. no sense of urgency at all.

A fantasy would be for Reiss and Simmons to team up and report on this team, Simmons for his unique perspective and creativity..... Reiss for his facts and sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST