PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Simmons argues Brady for MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.
coltshater said:
You should try watching some of these games before you comment. Your man love for Manning clouds your judgement. FYI - Vick is awful. :p

I did. Watch those games again. I know it's real easy to pin the losses on the defense. But how did they get down 28-3 to Denver?

There's alot of empty possessions. 7 in fact.

Same with San Diego. 0 points in the second half. 4 straight empty possessions. Where was the answer at 24-17.....31-17.......38-17.....

KC. 4 picks.

At what point did he take command in those games????

Last edited:
Tony Collins said:
Nope. Don't think Vick rules. The team is better with him than Matt Shaub.

I don't agree. I DO, however, think the team gets way more press with Vick than Shaub.

Tony Collins said:
My choice for MVP would have been Barber. Giants are 4-12 without him.

Regardless of what Simmons says.
Though he's been hit or miss in the past, Tiki is a legit pick.

And so is Brady.

Though I don't think either will actually win it.

Bella*chick said:
I don't agree. I DO, however, think the team gets way more press with Vick than Shaub.

I will then defer to a woman.

Tony Collins said:
My choice for MVP would have been Barber. Giants are 4-12 without him.

Regardless of what Simmons says.

Yeah, Simmons argument against Barber is pretty weak. "He can't be the MVP because his team won't win a playoff game"? What? First Simmons defines the MVP as the guys who's irreplaceable, then when it gets down to Barber, changes the definition.

It's a Homer piece, and Simmons even implies as much at the end of that paragraph. Brady has an excellent chance to be MVP, and it will be well-deserved. Hard to argue against Alexander when he's poised to break the touchdown record. Carson Palmer will also get consideration.

Tony Collins said:

Whether the Falcons are better with Vick or Shaub is arguable. Shaub had the Falcon's best QB game of the season that day. With Vick, Pats probably would have won by 20. No way Vick gets ATL back in the game down 14-0 or 28-14.

So Manning deserves MVP because he's lead a team without injuries over Baltimore, Tennessee, Cleveland, San Francisco, St. Louis, Houston, a battered Pats team, Houston, and Tennessee. Then, when the Colts offensive line was battered and bruised, he couldn't lead his team to victory over the Chargers to preserve a perfect season.

Tony Collins said:

Well, I think we can agree to disagree about that. I'm sure you are not the only one who feels that way about Vick, but I do believe an argument can be made. I agree with dryheat's post.

Tony Collins said:
What a brilliant response! Why don't you defer yourself off to the interleague forum?

pats1 said:
So Manning deserves MVP because he's lead a team without injuries over Baltimore, Tennessee, Cleveland, San Francisco, St. Louis, Houston, a battered Pats team, Houston, and Tennessee. Then, when the Colts offensive line was battered and bruised, he couldn't lead his team to victory over the Chargers to preserve a perfect season.

I never said Manning should be MVP.

Bella*chick said:
Well, I think we can agree to disagree about that. I'm sure you are not the only one who feels that way about Vick, but I do believe an argument can be made. I agree with dryheat's post.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no Vick fan. Not in the least. But that team seems to play better for him in that building.

PatsChick87 said:
What a brilliant response! Why don't you defer yourself off to the interleague forum?

No need to get riled. I was just being polite.

Tony Collins said:
I did. Watch those games again. I know it's real easy to pin the losses on the defense. But how did they get down 28-3 to Denver?

There's alot of empty possessions. 7 in fact.

Same with San Diego. 0 points in the second half. 4 straight empty possessions. Where was the answer at 24-17.....31-17.......38-17.....

KC. 4 picks.

At what point did he take command in those games????

The offense isn't going to score every time when all of starters are healthy. Missing pieces in the offense will cause the offense to sputter for periods of time during any given game. I do recall the Patriots defense giving up huge plays during the Denver and San Diego games. When the defense is giving up 500 yards of offense, you really can't expect to win many games. Of the four picks during the KC game, you should blame 3 of them on the receivers who tipped passes up in the air for easy interceptions. The Denver game was lost by 8 points, and the KC game was lost by 10, not exactly blowouts. San Diego also beat your Colts. :p

Tony Collins said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm no Vick fan. Not in the least. But that team seems to play better for him in that building.

I'm not terribly familiar with Falcons' history, but do we have that many games by Shaub to compare?

My opinion is based more on Shaub's strengths, which are traditionally QB strengths. Vick is a runningback who occasionally throws the ball. He doesn't seem to be a very good quarterback.

I get the media love on account of the fact that he is exciting and sells a ton of jerseys. But I believe he is overrated.

Last edited:
Bella*chick said:
I'm not terribly familiar with Falcons' history, but do we have that many games by Shaub to compare?

My opinion is based more on Shaub's strengths, which are traditionally QB strengths. Vick is a runningback who occasionally throws the ball. He doesn't seem to be a very good quarterback.

I get the media love on account of the fact that he is exciting and sells a ton of jerseys. But I believe he is overrated.

Michael Vick is the most overrated professional athlete of all time. He just got too much press....kind of like Reggie Bush is getting now (once-in-a-generation player...or at least since Ki-Jana Carter, Desmond Howard, or Raghib Ismail). Michael Vick could be the best quarterback in the league, and he'd still be overrated. And Michael Vick isn't even close to being in the TOP HALF of quarterbacks in the league. Seriously.

You have the top tier in Brady, Manning, Palmer

Then a second tier with guys like McNabb, Hasselbeck, Plummer, Brees, Green

Then a better-than-average group, with guys like Favre, Culpepper, the other Manning, Roethlisberger, Leftwich, McNair, and Brunell

The thoroughly average group, with guys like Pennington, Dilfer, Grossman, Simms, Holcomb, Collins, Boller, and Vick

The can't-win-with group, like Brooks, Bledsoe, Harrington

A quarterback should almost always win the MVP, if "V" really stands for valuable.

A good run-blocking offensive line can turn any schlub into a 1,000 yd rusher (See Denver, Indy); the premium that a very good back provides (400-800 extra yds) does not compare with the complete mastery of an entire offense that Manning or Brady brings.

But alas, "V" doesn't stand for valuable; for the media, it is more accurately translated as "outstanding." And Alexander's numbers this season, along with his team's breakthrough season make him the most outstanding.

Tony Collins said:
No need to get riled. I was just being polite.

Tom Brady will probably never win an MVP.....But if the award was given solely by NFL players and coaches, he would have at least 1 by now. But another one of Toms great characteristics that Peyton does not and probably never will share is that Tom could care less about it.....It is well documented that the Colts were hamstrung for almost 3 years because of Mannings gargantuan contract (38 milllion signing bonus). Tom Brady has restructured his contract (what is it up to now, 3 times?) so that the Pats could get some of thier veterans back and maybe a a good FA or two. Brady is unselfish almost to a fault. Peyton is starting to understand some of this but when both of their careers are done, both will be in the hall of fame but one will have a handful of championship rings and the other will have a handful of MVP trophies. One will have Montana level adoration and the other Marino's..... My point to this rant is that I am disappointed with the Pats fans that are even arguing a silly point as who wins the MVP. Brady probably deserves it, but championships are what the players play for.

dryheat44 said:
Michael Vick could be the best quarterback in the league, and he'd still be overrated. And Michael Vick isn't even close to being in the TOP HALF of quarterbacks in the league. Seriously.

Then a better-than-average group, with guys like Favre, Culpepper, the other Manning, Roethlisberger, Leftwich, McNair, and Brunell

The thoroughly average group, with guys like Pennington, Dilfer, Grossman, Simms, Holcomb, Collins, Boller, and Vick

The Michael Vick could be the best QB in the league and still be overrated reminds of something Cindy Crawford said back in her Supermodel days. Someone once told her, "I think we'd all love to look like Cindy Crawford" and she said "I would love to look like Cindy Crawford."

Your QB categories are fantastic. I think you really nailed it, though I'm not sure where I would put Culpepper now. This has been a very bad season for him, and it's hard to tell whether it's just a one-time deal or what's going on with him now.

Tom Brady will probably never win an MVP.....But if the award was given solely by NFL players and coaches, he would have at least 1 by now. But another one of Toms great characteristics that Peyton does not and probably never will share is that Tom could care less about it.....It is well documented that the Colts were hamstrung for almost 3 years because of Mannings gargantuan contract (38 milllion signing bonus). Tom Brady has restructured his contract (what is it up to now, 3 times?) so that the Pats could get some of thier veterans back and maybe a a good FA or two. Brady is unselfish almost to a fault. Peyton is starting to understand some of this but when both of their careers are done, both will be in the hall of fame but one will have a handful of championship rings and the other will have a handful of MVP trophies. One will have Montana level adoration and the other Marino's..... My point to this rant is that I am disappointed with the Pats fans that are even arguing a silly point as who wins the MVP. Brady probably deserves it, but championships are what the players play for.

Well, I certainly agree with all you've said but I think that all Pats fans are doing here is discussing a Bill Simmons article. No more, no less. I don't think anyone here really cares about the MVP thing.

Last edited:
dryheat44 said:

Nice analysis. Not so sure about Favre anymore, though. He's approaching can't-win-with status, IMO.

Bella*chick said:
Well, I certainly agree with all you've said but I think that all Pats fans are doing here is discussing a Bill Simmons article. No more, no less. I don't anyone here really cares about the MVP thing.
Correct, as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back