PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick doesn't sound ready to leave Patriots for a 'Long Time'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I picked up on that from today's comments as well. I've suspected he plans to stay for a while, his comments in 2009's Football Life notwithstanding. I've had a lot of fans of other teams ask me if I think BB and TFB are planning to retire soon, and all I can say is that TFB looks ready to play for a while, and BB doesn't appear to be going anywhere.

The look of disappointment on their faces...

...so delicious.

Yeah, I picked up on that from today's comments as well. I've suspected he plans to stay for a while, his comments in 2009's Football Life notwithstanding. I've had a lot of fans of other teams ask me if I think BB and TFB are planning to retire soon, and all I can say is that TFB looks ready to play for a while, and BB doesn't appear to be going anywhere.

The look of disappointment on their faces...

...so delicious.

Yea considering how 2009 was going I probably would said the same lol.

Bill is having way too good of a time (I think). As long as he has his heath, energy and support structure in place he isn't going anywhere.

I don't think Bill could do a massive rebuilding job but keeping the ship running and fixing leaks. Yep.

Besides having his kids with him and helping them get established in the league is a key for him. Might be the most important thing to him TBH.

i had a thought recently:

give your friends this scenario and see if they accept: if Brady and Pats win the superbowl this year, Brady will retire, if they don't win this year, Brady keeps playing for however long he decides to

i bet they turn Pats fans mighty quick for the rest of the year (except for fans still in the final 4 due to personal stake)

so maybe its a better question for early next year

Would have been nice to have Jimmy G in the wings. But if BB is hinting there how about a Nick Foles I think Brady plays one more year Tops. And if we some how make it to the SB and Win it Brady could just walk away in all that glory. I think BB would transition well with a Guy like Nick Foles a winner who's Team responds to him.

I think Bill wants to coach a few years without Brady.

I honestly think this is less about Brady and more about being able to work with his two sons. If he retired he'd actually spend LESS time with them because they'd still work as coaches in the NFL.

Stephen is a DC in the waiting just give it 2-3 more years.

Would have been nice to have Jimmy G in the wings. But if BB is hinting there how about a Nick Foles I think Brady plays one more year Tops. And if we some how make it to the SB and Win it Brady could just walk away in all that glory. I think BB would transition well with a Guy like Nick Foles a winner who's Team responds to him.

Nick Foles is only good if you have another QB capable of winning enough regular season games to make it to the playoffs.

Also Brady has one more year at minimum, not maximum.

I think Bill wants to coach a few years without Brady.

Somehow I feel water under the Bridge now that the Transition from Brady to Jimmy G would have been similar to Favre/Rodgers. Some Patsfans might disagree but it would have been nice not to worry about our QB position for a long long long time.

Coach will probably live out the rest of his days with the Patriots. I can't see him retiring anytime soon, if ever.

As for Brady, I'd say he has a 50/50 chance of retiring next year if New England wins the SB, OR if he gets a serious injury. I don't care how much medical tech we have these days, the fact is that as you age, it really DOES get harder to heal.

Foles would be a good QB to replace Brady if it works out. But I hope Brady plays for another 2-3 yrs. He doesn't need to be elite. If he plays well enough to ride the offense with a good running game and decent passing game, we are in contention as long as he plays. It'll be much better than PM's last year with Denver.

I'd hate for Brady's career to end due to an injury. I want to him to win a superbowl and then retire on his terms, whenever that may be.

Back to topic on BB, he is once in a lifetime coach. He loves every aspect of football there is. Scouting, drafting, coaching, game planning and so on.... Irrespective of when Brady retires, I want BB to coach as long as he can and then sit in the booth upstairs with Ernie (that is to say take a position in some capacity with the team).
I would love for someone like a Josh McDaniels, Sean Payton or Mike Zimmer coach the Pats with BB overseeing everything else. :D

Nick Foles is only good if you have another QB capable of winning enough regular season games to make it to the playoffs.

That's BS: Team was coming off a SB High with a laid back HC *just have fun* his words. They picked it up at the end under Foles control Wentz might be one of those guys who just cannot stay healthy. If I was a Eagles fan I would worry about losing Foles in favor of the often injured Wentz.

Having the stability for a few more years is great especially after Brady retires. It will be interesting to see how he will make some other QB a contender year after year. No one will eclipse Brady but with BB at the helm this team will always be in contention!

Bill is having way too good of a time (I think). As long as he has his heath, energy and support structure in place he isn't going anywhere.

I don't think Bill could do a massive rebuilding job but keeping the ship running and fixing leaks. Yep.

Besides having his kids with him and helping them get established in the league is a key for him. Might be the most important thing to him TBH.

Yup. He's talked about the importance of working with and setting up his sons.

To your other point, I look back at the 2000/2001 off season, and you see additions of Light, Seymour, Bryan Cox, Edwards, Izzo, Phife, Antowain Smith, Vrabel, and David Patten. He could fill the spots he wants to fill, without needing that many guys. He could definitely do it.

BB is quite the historian. He's 34 wins (290 vs 324) behind George Halas all time. I am sure, if asked, he would say he gives no thought to his standing. I think otherwise. Given the team's propensity for seasons with double digit wins, he will move to #2 all time in four seasons. He's tied with Halas and Lombardi with 5 Championships. One more and he stands alone with 6. No active coach has more than one.

Having followed this team closely, I am sure his motivation is to get ready for the next game, be that this week vs the Chiefs, or opening day 2019. But with that singular focus comes the long term result of being ahead of some very huge names in NFL history. That has to curl his toes.

I would go one step further and say that it's very likely Kraft knows what the end game is.

I honestly think this is less about Brady and more about being able to work with his two sons. If he retired he'd actually spend LESS time with them because they'd still work as coaches in the NFL.

I could see that. Schiano here for a year or two as a bridge once Flores leaves, and then when Schiano gets his next bigger opportunity (which he will), that's when Stephen will take over in role even if not yet in title. He'll have about 9 years experience on the coaching staff at that point. Bill became DC at age 33, Stephen will be 33 by that point.

Foles would be a good QB to replace Brady if it works out. But I hope Brady plays for another 2-3 yrs. He doesn't need to be elite. If he plays well enough to ride the offense with a good running game and decent passing game, we are in contention as long as he plays. It'll be much better than PM's last year with Denver.

I'd hate for Brady's career to end due to an injury. I want to him to win a superbowl and then retire on his terms, whenever that may be.

Back to topic on BB, he is once in a lifetime coach. He loves every aspect of football there is. Scouting, drafting, coaching, game planning and so on.... Irrespective of when Brady retires, I want BB to coach as long as he can and then sit in the booth upstairs with Ernie (that is to say take a position in some capacity with the team).
I would love for someone like a Josh McDaniels, Sean Payton or Mike Zimmer coach the Pats with BB overseeing everything else. :D
Nick Foles will be 30 at the start of next season. If Brady plays 2-3 more years why would we want a 32-33 year old QB to take over. We need to draft someone in April and have him watch and study Tom’s every move then hope for the best.

I think that’s part of it but I also think there is some ego to it.

Nick Foles will be 30 at the start of next season. If Brady plays 2-3 more years why would we want a 32-33 year old QB to take over. We need to draft someone in April and have him watch and study Tom’s every move then hope for the best.

I don't know about you, I would rather have a 32-33 year old guy who's been there, done that, on a 3 year deal than a 23 year old kid trying to fill the GOATs shoes.

I don't know about you, I would rather have a 32-33 year old guy who's been there, done that, on a 3 year deal than a 23 year old kid trying to fill the GOATs shoes.
I wouldn’t. I’d rather have some growing pains for a year or two and then a nice decade than patch together old vets and hope they work out every 3 or 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back