PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Biggest Leaper?

PScottman

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
No, this isn't a combine standing jump comparison thread. The open question remains on which player makes the "big leap" in ability/skill/production this year? Doesn't even have to be a young player either - could be a Free Agent who has been a "JAG" that suddenly goes all Mike Vrabel/Rob Ninkovich.

So I'll start with the obvious, for non-obvious reasons. While run defense remains the massive unknown going into the new campaign, and Uche getting a lot of ink about rushing the passer, the trait that would truly catapult him from situational to every down is his coverage skills. Mixed review in the above article with a PBU and TD allowed in the same sentence, but if Uche has likewise added coverage skills to his repertoire - he will be a massive upgrade on his last year.

With Chung gone and Duggar better in run support than coverage at this stage of his development, a LB that can successfully shadow RBs and second TEs gives this defense a tremendous amount of flexibility, especially in disguise and surprise - who's coming, who's dropping, and even in the now more common base 4-2-5 and 3-2-6 alignments to not have to bring in yet another small body DB is huge.

I assume you're talking about the year 1 to 2 leap? May want to edit your thread title.

I assume you're talking about the year 1 to 2 leap? May want to edit your thread title.
No Sir - not relegated to just a small sample size - but the entire team. There is just as much chance of a leap in a fourth or sixth year player as in just a rookie - even veterans may come into a new system and suddenly blossom. The thread is in much more open then just second year players.

I actually think we have sub/cover LB in a good spot as long as no one gets hurt. KVN/Hightower splitting time with safeties like Dugger and Phillips should get the job done. It does sound like Uche has taken a leap, but I'm not expecting much more than pass rush from him at this stage (and that's okay).

Not sure about any real surprises emerging during this camp unless a late round pick starts balling out. My dark horse prediction: JoeJuan shows that he's a real player.

If all the press clippings are right, then Uche is the guy. Hope he lives up to the hype.

I am holding out hope that Olszewski becomes a viable WR option. I know we haven't seen any indication that an emergence is immenent, but sometimes slot type WRs emerge after a couple of years in the syste,

I think Uche is the most popular answer here, so I'll go off the beaten path a bit and say Kendrick Bourne. All the attention right now (and rightly so) is on the new tight ends, but Bourne by all accounts has been very active through the first two days of camp. He's athletic, he's playing all over the offense, and while he was productive in SF, there's room for him to grow. If he's playing regularly in the slot, I think he's going to have a surprising year.

Uche is the obvious answer here, but I'll go with someone under the radar and say Devin Asiasi. I think he has great potential if he can stay healthy and we saw some of this the last game of the year and during the OTA's.

After Uche, I'd like to see Onwenu hit the next level.

If all the press clippings are right, then Uche is the guy. Hope he lives up to the hype.

I am holding out hope that Olszewski becomes a viable WR option. I know we haven't seen any indication that an emergence is immenent, but sometimes slot type WRs emerge after a couple of years in the syste,
Actually, I think we have seen some indication that Gunner could step it up at WR. It seems every camp, the reports are that he improved in that area relative to the previous season, both inside and outside.

I'll play counterpoint to the "Surprise cut" thread as well where I said Godchaux could be the surprise cut and say he has as much chance of being the "leaper" as well. Putting him next to a guy like Guy (sorry) who is a fundamental technician plus really focusing his role into one thing: occupying blockers to let the LBs clean up, could let him blossom tremendously.

I just have this feeling that he's either going to be a godsend or a bust - no in-between.

Great idea for a thread and though I would like to say it will be one of the WRs or TEs I think they will be limited by the quarterback so I don't see any of them making a big leap. I do think though Damien Harris could take the next step and become a true bellweather back. That is my choice for a leaper.

I'll play counterpoint to the "Surprise cut" thread as well where I said Godchaux could be the surprise cut and say he has as much chance of being the "leaper" as well. Putting him next to a guy like Guy (sorry) who is a fundamental technician plus really focusing his role into one thing: occupying blockers to let the LBs clean up, could let him blossom tremendously.

I just have this feeling that he's either going to be a godsend or a bust - no in-between.
I feel the same way about Henry Anderson. I liked him in New York, but I think he can blossom here - or if not, he could be cut (Godchaux won't be cut, though, with that contract).

If a rebound counts as a leap, I'm hoping for big things from Michel this year. The issues holding him back over the last couple years, bad blocking at TE and massive stability issues at OL, seem to be more or less settled and there's been no bad news about his health. I think he should be back to being a solid contributing RB this year. Especially with the depth we have.

Fun fact: Last year was Michel's best year so far as a pass catcher.

No, this isn't a combine standing jump comparison thread. The open question remains on which player makes the "big leap" in ability/skill/production this year? Doesn't even have to be a young player either - could be a Free Agent who has been a "JAG" that suddenly goes all Mike Vrabel/Rob Ninkovich.

So I'll start with the obvious, for non-obvious reasons. While run defense remains the massive unknown going into the new campaign, and Uche getting a lot of ink about rushing the passer, the trait that would truly catapult him from situational to every down is his coverage skills. Mixed review in the above article with a PBU and TD allowed in the same sentence, but if Uche has likewise added coverage skills to his repertoire - he will be a massive upgrade on his last year.

With Chung gone and Duggar better in run support than coverage at this stage of his development, a LB that can successfully shadow RBs and second TEs gives this defense a tremendous amount of flexibility, especially in disguise and surprise - who's coming, who's dropping, and even in the now more common base 4-2-5 and 3-2-6 alignments to not have to bring in yet another small body DB is huge.
I think either Uche or Bourne

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back