PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2024 QB/PTP Thread

From BCG’s entry on page 1 of this thread. Notice the deep ball agonistes of JJM and the inconsist ball placement by Dyke Maye, who regressed this past season.
View attachment 57504
And according to that chart, Jayden Daniels is the best deep ball thrower in this class but I have heard just as many detractors of him if not more than Maye or Williams. Also JJ McCarthy's 26.7% stat looks pretty awful compared to Maye or Williams who are both 40%+. So now who do you believe, the scouts or this one chart?

Love this young man. Too bad he’s a 6’0” smurf. He’s got everything else going for him, though.

This past season running the pro style South Carolina offense he had a ****show on the OL. Fourteen different starters!

Xavier Legette the real deal. My receiver #4.
Legette is also one of the OLDER receivers as a 5th year senior and already 23.

And according to that chart, Jayden Daniels is the best deep ball thrower in this class but I have heard just as many detractors of him if not more than Maye or Williams. Also JJ McCarthy's 26.7% stat looks pretty awful compared to Maye or Williams who are both 40%+. So now who do you believe, the scouts or this one chart?
He had an absolute stud LT and two first-round WRs.

No, he’s a very good deep ball passer. But he needs a good OL. He won’t get that with Washington or NE. And he’s an elite runner. But he runs as if he’s a big guy. I would be worried about him getting injuried.

On another thread, I said I’d be fine with Penix at 3 and a whole bunch laughed at it.

I think he’s the best in this class.
You’re going to look really good a handful of years from now.

I love Penix. But the most underrated player in this whole draft is Spencer Rattler. A scrappy Brett Favre in the making.

Why would NE not trade out of three and collect extra top 50 picks and still get Rattler or Penix?

Milton threw the ball at 62mph at the combine. McCarthy threw the ball at 61mph at the combine. Either Milton's arm is not a cannon or McCarthy's arm is strong like Lazar says.
I’m putting this in the right thread. JJ McCarthy is the most overrated player in this year’s draft.

A QB in a dominant college offense. Nothing about this play will be remotely similar to the pros. How many seconds with a clean pocket? Six or seven?

Like Mac Jones, JJ McCarthy is in for a rude awakening. But at least he can put that 6.82 three time to good use bobbing away from pressure.

It looks as though the Patriots will drafting Maye at three if the Washington IRSers go with Daniels.

If it plays out like this, I have a question. Why did Drake Maye go from looking the next Tom Brady in 2022 to what he performed at in 2023?

Why the regression?

Just saying his team lost talent isn’t gonna cut it. If we’re treating him like a franchise QB.

His last regular season game against NC State UNC list 20-39. Maye played poorly.

Then the Tarheels lost in the Mayo Bowl to West Virginia.

Nay on Maye.

It looks as though the Patriots will drafting Maye at three if the Washington IRSers go with Daniels.

If it plays out like this, I have a question. Why did Drake Maye go from looking the next Tom Brady in 2022 to what he performed at in 2023?

Why the regression?

Just saying his team lost talent isn’t gonna cut it. If we’re treating him like a franchise QB.

His last regular season game against NC State UNC list 20-39. Maye played poorly.

Then the Tarheels lost in the Mayo Bowl to West Virginia.

Nay on Maye.
While I recognize this is a good QB class, I predict Williams a bust and am not a huge Maye fan...I don't even love Daniels, but I would prefer him of him/Maye for NE...I'm in favor of trading down for a haul and taking a Sanders/Ewers/Dart in 2025 after a terrible year

He was without his best WR for the first 6 games i think it was. He had OC changes and an appalling OL and it's not like he fell off a cliff, he just wasn't as good as the previous year.

He's a 21 year old kid (Second youngest of the legit QB options and 2 years younger than Daniels) who has never had the elite talent to either throw to or sit behind like Daniels and JJ.

an appalling OL
Poor Maye and his OL.

Here’s Spencer Rattler’s OL’s starters:

LT 3
LG 3
C 2
RG 2
RT 4

And the Gamecocks were ranked 84 in penalties allowed.

After stud Xavier Legette’s 1200 yards receiving, the next guy had 310.

And the leading rusher had only 700 yards.

Maye’s OL and weapons were better than Rattler’s.

I’m putting this in the right thread. JJ McCarthy is the most overrated player in this year’s draft.
McCarthy and Maye are 21 and have years to grow. Daniels, Nix, and Penix are 23 and 24 and will not change much.
Poor Maye and his OL.

Here’s Spencer Rattler’s OL’s starters:

LT 3
LG 3
C 2
RG 2
RT 4

And the Gamecocks were ranked 84 in penalties allowed.

After stud Xavier Legette’s 1200 yards receiving, the next guy had 310.

And the leading rusher had only 700 yards.

Maye’s OL and weapons were better than Rattler’s.

McCarthy's OLine was great and the running game helped him. McCarthy also won a national title playing within Harbaugh's system. So was it McCarthy or was it the OL and weapons?

So was it McCarthy or was it the OL and weapons?
So what you’re saying is McCarthy wasn’t asked to do much. Just call the blocking at the line or make other adjustments and not turn the ball over.

Got it.

So what you’re saying is McCarthy wasn’t asked to do much. Just call the blocking at the line or make other adjustments and not turn the ball over.

Got it.
Yes. Lowest passing rate per play in years. Michigan ran the ball a lot. But when he passed he had the highest completion % and scrambling accuracy. Also a remarkable 3cone at the combine to link his athleticism to his incredible accuracy while scrambling. So if he throws more will he keep getting better since he is the youngest of the Top 6 QB prospects?

I know it's the 3rd time I've typed the words below, but this would be the best realistically possible outcome, because it is a 100% lead-pipe lock that Chicago and Only Chicago is taking a QB at #1 and the District and Only the District is taking a QB at #2:

I really Really REALLY hope that Williams & Daniels go 1-2.

Interesting: Randy Mueller's top 10 players in the draft: A surprise pick at WR1 and more

Top 10 from this guy, who has impressive creds:
1. Williams
2. Alt
3. Odunze
4. Fuaga
5. Nabers
6. McCarthy
7. Daniels
8. Harrison
9. Latu
10. Bowers

Acknowledges that McCarthy and Daniels are over-valued because QB's are so valuable, and should be mid to late 1st round picks. Has Harrison 3rd of the big 3 WR's and is concerned about his ability to get open

Randy Mueller spent 35 years in the NFL at all levels of football operations, from ballboy to general manager. A former NFL Executive of the Year, he joined The Athletic's NFL staff in 2023 as an expert on player talent evaluation and team roster building. He also co-hosts "The Football GM Podcast" on The Athletic Football Show.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back