PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2024 QB/PTP Thread

Maye will be tough to pass on.
Completely agree and i'm so surprised at the lack of interest on him here. They all have stuff to work on but Maye just brings so much to the table and something that gets overlooked imo is he's a year younger than Williams and 2 younger than Daniels IIRC.

If it goes like it looks like it will atm we won't get him but he'd be my pick if i was making it.

Completely agree and i'm so surprised at the lack of interest on him here. They all have stuff to work on but Maye just brings so much to the table and something that gets overlooked imo is he's a year younger than Williams and 2 younger than Daniels IIRC.

If it goes like it looks like it will atm we won't get him but he'd be my pick if i was making it.
I think lack of interest might be because you have to trade up to get him, he might even pass Williams after the workouts as he is built to blow away the workouts. He's my top choice and I would personally try to trade up, but most people think we need so much help we should not trade picks to move up. Thus, the focus on Daniels and others since they would all be available at 3 or with a trade down.

I think lack of interest might be because you have to trade up to get him, he might even pass Williams after the workouts as he is built to blow away the workouts. He's my top choice and I would personally try to trade up, but most people think we need so much help we should not trade picks to move up. Thus, the focus on Daniels and others since they would all be available at 3 or with a trade down.
I'm really curious to see if WAS ends up drafting Howell's best friend. That'd be an interesting dynamic...

9ulabafn7yu81.jpg

Even though I said we should draft MHJr, I think JDan's my pick for QB because that work ethic just sticks out. I'd take my pick with a grain of salt because I wanted Trey Lance a couple of years ago.

Teammates are enamored with Daniels work ethic and attention to detail. Because he routinely shows up at LSU’s Football Operations Center to watch film at 5:30 a.m. and later leave after 8 p.m., second-year football coach Brian Kelly said the staff had to adopt new policies and procedures involving player usage of the facility.

“We used to cut off players at a certain time,” Kelly said. “We gave them unlimited access to the building. He (Daniels) just lives in this building.”

Obssessive work ethic tends to work out well for QB's getting to the next level. Reminds me of a QB we used to have here in New England. He was also 6'4 210. But yeah we'll see. I believe when the draft shakes down we'll be picking between Marvin Harrison Jr or Jayden Daniels at #3.

Been meaning to reply still trying to get back full-time. Hope you're well brother!

Yup he'll definitely need a real table thats set. The run game was more a "Washington" thing. Interestingly enough i actually think he might be really good in a rpo system if the OL is right. I think thats more important than anything bc he puts his body so much into his passes. Especially when it's NFL pressure or design upfront.

Yes

He creates and causes the most pressure and handles it poorly too often. The snaps of him working "in structure" are few and far between. Relies so much on his own gifts it'll be a tough/fine line on how strict you want to be with him regarding scheme and design. You see some special moments but you'll also see bad Russell and Zach Wilson, Bad D Watson (on the field!) His decision making specifically 2nd level will really have to improve bc the NFL has absolute dogs everywhere. Athletes everywhere. Some of these cross-body far hash passes are be taken for 6 the other way. His gifts are there and real. That said he really creates a ton of pressure for himself, needlessly. And doesn't follow up with great decisions.

Shades of greatness but he needs a Andy Reid or someone like that. Who commands respect. His "good" isn't "good" it's "great" If you can get him to learn to take small loses for eventual bigger gains (barter system) like throwing the ball away, take a small run gain instead of cross body pass, don't try to extend every play etc Get him in a comfortable system he can work in. Combined with his gifts. He could be a top 5-12 guy.

Maye will be tough to pass on. He's got a plus arm and is one of the better deep ball passers coming out imo. He would have shown more productivity if not for poor WR/OL play. He's a hell of a competitor and gamer. That kid will run through you and away from you. He's got a plus arm that would work in NE, Buffalo, Pittsburgh... with touch, arm angles, maybe not easy gas but he can muscle through some tight windows. He immediately opens up the entire field bc of his legs and ability to work all 3 levels. Very comfortable working through and maneuvering through the chaos along the OL but his pocket presence could improve. As well as his footwork. Lifts his backs foot too often and loses accuracy. Lower half could improve his mechanics overall. He's got areas he has to improve on. He's not great past his 1st or 2nd read. He's got concerns but his "collective" the overall package will be hard to pass on.

Daniels was the best deep ball passers last year imo and always has been a very good deep ball passer. Specifically down the sidelines. Best by a good margin from intermediate to "chunk" plays (15-30). Was very good under pressure and unlike other him and Penix didn't create any to hurt themselves.
View attachment 55983
Daniels is electric as a runner and passer. Obvious comparisons to Lamar will arise but Jackson has always been a great mof anticipatory passer. Can change up arm angles. Daniels has yet to show he can accomplish that full time. And while he's close to Jackaon as a runner JD has always taken big hits. Loves leaving his feet. He's a very nice prospect buts let's not forget he was throwing to Brandon Aiyuk a few years ago. He won't turn 24 until December but he's not exactly a baby coming out you would think you can mold a ton.

He could absolutely run an NFL offense but youll need a very creative OC to work around his shortcomings bc hes not a dynamic passer rn.

Appreciate it.

As of now I'm looking real hard at Nix, JJ, Pratt and Travis.

It's fantasy and very fan-ish but I would do A LOT to get MHJ & one of Nabers/Odunze on this team. Like possibly trade next year's 1st if I could keep this years 2nd. It would be tough be but Nabers/Odunze are legit NFL WR1 types imo. Odunze is one of the better trackers we've seen in years with plus ball skills.

If Bowers, Franklin fall out the top 10 I would think the same with a much lesser package attached. Same for Coleman and Thomas. Much lesser package but I'm absolutely thinking about taken advantage of an abundance of offensive talent with our needs/resources. WR is the second most important position in football. We're not solving all our problems in one draft. Harrison and one of the above mentioned could be the best duo in the league in two years. That's a huge building block.

I remember listening and talking to coaches who were taking over new teams and some absolutely didnt care where they made progress only that progress was made. Tackling, turnovers, run game ... eventually you have to get good at something. Id love to see the NEP step into 2024 with a potential all-pro duo at WR. Maybe land one of the QB's I mentioned above or simply building up the offense so its set when we do have a viable QB. That's been my train of thought for a minute now.
I am well,man. Hope you are too.
Nice post.
Maye had always been my 1st choice til the bad games.
I know he didn't have a lot of talent around him on offense so hoping that's the major reason for his bad games.
He surely has potential. If someone put a gun to my head and said you have to take a qb, it'd be Maye.
Of course I see the raw talent with Williams but so many other things about him I worry about.
Your take on Daniels is similar to mine. So much to like about the kid but kind of a scary pick.
If we stand pat at #3 I'm leaning MHJ

Drake Maye will be tough to pass on if he's there at 3. He just will be. For numerous reasons. You could throw a huge resource at the most important position in sports. Coming off a failed top 15 pick with Mac. Someone who imo was a 2nd round value. Maye is worth a 1st. This will automatically get the fanbase fired up going into next year. New HC, OC and QB. That's 3 years of security and 3 yeas to get things right. Maye is a good looking kid with a 6'4 ish/230 frame. Dad played QB at UNC and his brother played basketball. He has NFL arm talent, mobility and can work all 3 levels of the field. Plus athleticism. He's got a good work ethic from everything I've read and heard. He seems to have what you want on and off the field.

Maye has an NFL arm with strength, velocity, touch and placement. One thing that stands out of Maye is that he can be a playmaker in the passing game with a body on him, throwing off platform with someone in his face. When things aren't perfect or even "good" around him. Hes able to hit 50-55 with no hop or anything noticeable in his delivery. Tight windows. Far hash to boundary. Arm angles. Passing with tempo and ability to change up from a fast ball. Layering and feathering. His arm is legit. Flexible, strong arm that comes through when the chips are down. The NFL is all about working under difficult conditions, working under certain, specific situations. He's able to deliver a well placed ball with touch and strength in bad conditions. Something you have to think about playing in NE weather.

6'4 230 and will run a 4.60 He's a weapon running the ball that will have to be dialed back but he's an absolute weapon in the rushing game. There's a lot you can do here. Designed runs included but more importantly he's got plus instincts combined with athleticism and mobility for the position. This is key. The kid can create. Not only can he pick up yards defenses inevitably give up but he out run, make you miss or pick up tough yards. A defense has to account for him on every play!

Out of the top tier he's the best working within or out of structure. Working short intermediate and deep. All 3 levels. Specifically the MOF which translates to the NFL. If you can work the MOF it shows you can operate in tight spaces, go through your progressions, move defenders and know how to be on time with defenders flying around. Maye led all big time QBs working the mof and big time passes. Plus anticipation in this area of the field, coming off a WR break.

His ability to maneuver, manipulate and scramble is very impressive. Just more playmaker in his game. He can find a way with someone all over him. Or take off for a 1st down. Again he's a weapon every play whether things are good or bad.

Love his passion, willingness to pick up tough yards, make a play for his team. He's all "fight" when it comes to fight or flight. He's worked on reaching a balance there. Again that's where coaching comes in. His ability to make plays out of structure and play within structure is very impressive. He wants to make it happen with his arm or legs.

His decision making can be off at times. He does have 2-3 "hero" plays in him a game. He could check down a few more times, go for a "safe" play a little more but that's the ride with these guys and why you need good coaches, right? Plus a lot of these moments are due to too much being put on him while playmakers are leaving or his OL isn't very good. This is an area he has to clean up but he wasn't put in a great position in a lot of spots last year either.

His footwork and lower half mechanics need to improve and will lead to more accuracy on the easy stuff and more velocity on the tight window passes (20+ down field) I love his shoulders when he's working or on the move though. He's got a lot of potential here. He needs to find a consistent and comfortable base.

Too many sacks on him. From his own doing and poor pocket presence. He could improve even slightly in this department and see big results. Cut back and be more decisive when scrambling particularly pertaining next level. Designed runs, few scrambles but behind the line be as decisive as possible.

Could be a tad faster regarding his progressions but there's plenty of video of him reading left to right or we. Again, more coaching.

Maye looks like my QB1. I won't have a "top 5" grade on any of the QB's but he'll likely be QB1 with a solid 1st round grade. He'll be 22 in August I believe. So he's still a pup in many ways but plays like a big dog. Like any QB coming in coaching will be huge. He'll need his McVay or whoever to work with to reach his full potential. That said he's got everything you want and more. He's quite the package now but still only 21. To think about what he could be at 24-25 with the proper development could be scary.

As far as a player comp I see a lot of Josh Allen and Matt Stafford. Both good and bad.

While I'm leaning towards trading back, Maye world make me rethink that position.

I don’t think he makes it to the Pats but I really do want him to.
I'm happy with Maye or Daniels based on these writeups.

The odd thing is that Maye potentially has a higher ceiling because of his age.

But right now Daniels might get the nod at #2 because of his freakish athleticism and running ability.

Maye does feel closer to a Burrows or a Josh Allen.

And Daniels feels closer to a Lamar Jackson or a Jalen Hurts.

Either player would instantly elevate the level of play we could expect from the QB position.

I like Marvin Harrison Jr. as a prospect but I feel like we need to pull the trigger on the potential franchise QB.

We can get a very good WR in free agency as long as Kraft opens up his checkbook and with over 66m dollars in cap space, 69m according to Miguel, there's no excuse not to spend to get better for Robert Kraft this offseason.

Really? That is the only cutup of his that I've watched of his so far, and I wasn't impressed. People seem to be impressed with the long throws and runs, but I worry more about things like the 2 or 3 comebacks he threw without anticipation, and just not very accurately.

There were other ones too that he missed across the middle as well....seems much more like a see it/throw it guy, instead of a guy that throws with anticipation into windows.

Sometimes your best games aren’t the ones you light up the stat sheet and scoreboard. Sure you can look at the GS game and gush over the 6 td performance.

The Alabama game was clearly a tough one against a first rate dline and first round talent at the cb position. Florida st was another game he lost as well.

Overcoming adversity in the face of superior talent goes a long way for me. The pressure from Alabama was there all game long, got roughed up quite a bit, but still managed to keep his team going, scoring 2 tds in the air and 1 on the ground. Yes he had Nabers and Thomas but used everything he had to stay in the game. 11-163 yards on the ground. Not his best day throwing the ball by any means but he put it all out there. Had Penix done this vs Michigan he’d still be in that top 20 conversation.

Definitely needs work in his short game and touch. Getting the running game back to 2022 level with Stevenson and Elliot would create a new dynamic for this team and put them back into the mix pretty quick.

I saw it completely different I guess. Watched a lot of other ones as well but LSU was far too talented to really gush over the stats.

@BaconGrundleCandy - Are you still in the camp of MHJ before an OT or a QB?
If Marv performs and passes all the the athletic testing and Williams and Maye are gone. 1, 2 in some order.
Yes I'm going Marv unless I get an offer I can't refuse - Arizonas 4th/27/35, Denvers 12th + 2025 1st + 76 + Surtain .... something along those lines. Something you just can't say no to.

Fwiw I'm hoping we use our 2025 1st + 34 to trade back into the first round this to grab another impact player. Next year wont be as top heavy at QB, WR, T. This team needs cornerstones for the next 5-8 years. I'd rather pick from a small pool more likely to hit than a bigger pool less likely for those prospects.

For a few reasons. The reason(s) above. It's great to have more picks but your odds decrease a lot after RD2. It's not impossible but there's a lot for variables and luck involved. Plus this years draft is superior offensively.
Another is even if we get a QB at 3. How was Allen without Diggs and new coaching. How did Burrow look without Chase? Tua is an obvious example. Just bc you get the QB the party don't stop. There are no Bradys out there. You're going to need to throw every resource you have at helping them succeed.
One more. Let's say we draft a QB and he doesn't work out. Odds are in our favor or pretty good that the other prospect we took hit big. We still have a WR1 or T1 to help a new QB adjust here.

There's no combo in this draft that tops two of the big 9 on offense (Williams, Maye, Daniels, Harrison, Nabers, Odunze, Fashanu, Alt, Fuaga) Give me two of them. I'd have no problem at all paying two 1st and a early second for two of them (QB1 WR1 or T1) Again we're not looking for guys to fill out or complement the roster. We need guys you can game plan with and around.

Or call up LAC and offer #3 + 34 + 2025 1st + Mac Jones for Herbert. They're 50 million over the cap. Have to pay him and can't out their own way to save their life. Long shot but it's worth exploring.

If Marv performs and passes all the the athletic testing and Williams and Maye are gone. 1, 2 in some order.
Yes I'm going Marv unless I get an offer I can't refuse - Arizonas 4th/27/35, Denvers 12th + 2025 1st + 76 + Surtain .... something along those lines. Something you just can't say no to.

Fwiw I'm hoping we use our 2025 1st + 34 to trade back into the first round this to grab another impact player. Next year wont be as top heavy at QB, WR, T. This team needs cornerstones for the next 5-8 years. I'd rather pick from a small pool more likely to hit than a bigger pool less likely for those prospects.
i kinda hope the same but would try 34 + this years third rd pick for the area 22-25 in the first rd to grab an OT like Amarius Mims.
we need bluechip Talent , we have plenty of players and cap to sign and fill some cheap guys backend of the roster via FA.
For a few reasons. The reason(s) above. It's great to have more picks but your odds decrease a lot after RD2. It's not impossible but there's a lot for variables and luck involved. Plus this years draft is superior offensively.
Another is even if we get a QB at 3. How was Allen without Diggs and new coaching. How did Burrow look without Chase? Tua is an obvious example. Just bc you get the QB the party don't stop. There are no Bradys out there. You're going to need to throw every resource you have at helping them succeed.
One more. Let's say we draft a QB and he doesn't work out. Odds are in our favor or pretty good that the other prospect we took hit big. We still have a WR1 or T1 to help a new QB adjust here.

There's no combo in this draft that tops two of the big 9 on offense (Williams, Maye, Daniels, Harrison, Nabers, Odunze, Fashanu, Alt, Fuaga) Give me two of them. I'd have no problem at all paying two 1st and a early second for two of them (QB1 WR1 or T1) Again we're not looking for guys to fill out or complement the roster. We need guys you can game plan with and around.

So Perry had an analytics guy on his podcast yesterday, so old news for many but interesting on how he sees the QB's in this draft fitting in with a place where they is bad weather at the end of the year.

Comps are tough, I'm not the best at them but it's not funny the Josh Allen vibes you get from Maye. Which sucks bc that's a huge weight to put on someone but you can't run from it. Minus the god tier arm they're so similar.

Accuracy issues

Big boys that can throw on the run. Pick up tough 1st Downs or scramble for 20 yards.

Footwork. Maye's inconsistent base vs Allen's stoppage of his movements at times getting stuck in the mud.

At the end of the day you sum up both with one word though and one word only. Aggression. Both are extremely aggressive. Both looking for big shots in the passing game or taking off to run.

That's not something you can really coach. You're never going to ask Maye "do you want to go for it" on 4th down. You already know the answer. It's tough but you can fix accuracy to an extent and mechanics are tough a but very possible. Having a 247 nonstop aggressive attitude and approach, isn't.

I see Allen all over his game all over Maye. Stafford as well in his pocket presence and movements, arm angles and overall play in the pocket.

I'd love to see Maye hit big. I think Atl would be a great spot bc of the line, London, Pitts, Robinson. They're ready to go on offense so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them try to trade up for Maye.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back