PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2023 CB/PTP Thread

Lazar brought up Terell Smith in his 8 takeaways with the Woolen comp, and so I had to see if he had the same type of speed. I dug his 10.39 up (+2.1 wind). Also ran 20.84, 10.32 (+3.1) and 10.41 (+1.7). I'm looking at draft profiles, and I don't know where people are getting that he's gonna run a 4.5+. I guess we'll see. Might be another UDFA JoJones speedster type, but with this attention, it looks like he'll at least break into the draft.

I'm coming around on the idea that either Gonzalez or Witherspoon at CB would be great value for the #14 in the 1st round.
Agree.

And if Brian Branch tests well, then he'd be great at that spot too.
Do not agree... If Billy & Al Groh's kid choose a Safety at #14 ahead of a CB (or LT or WR), then I'm driving up to Foxborough and taking a flame-thrower to the place.

With the Jones' Jack, Marcus and Jon in the D-backfield alongside a Pro Bowl corner like Gonzalez or Witherspoon, we'd lock down teams in the passing game. With Wise, Barmore, Uche and Judon applying pressure, the D might be devastating.
This is Jonathan's last big payday, so there's a real chance that he won't return... And do we even know the status of Jackoff?

That being said, we need to draft an edge rusher in the middle rounds to backup Wise or to develop behind him. We're weak there.
Also agree.

Last edited:
Look at the historical record last 10 yrs. There are 2 busts (Waynes and Hargraves) in the top 14 when it comes to DBs. There are mainly Pro Bowlers other than a couple guys that have gotten hurt, but they are so young that guys like Okudah and Stingley might turn out very well. Surtain, Gardner, Horn, Denzel Ward, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Jamal Adams, Lattimore, Jalen Ramsey, etc.

All these players are Pro Bowl types. The only non-bust players who aren't Pro Bowlers are mediocrities like Eli Apple and CJ Henderson.

Of the 14 guys I listed, 2 are busts, 2 are mediocre, 2 have been injured, and the other 8 were Pro Bowlers.

Pro Bowl = Popularity contest. Been that way for decades. It's even more meaningless now that it's not longer an actual game but skills competitions.

You're putting the cart before the horse whether you want to admit it or not.

Pro Bowl = Popularity contest. Been that way for decades. It's even more meaningless now that it's not longer an actual game but skills competitions.

You're putting the cart before the horse whether you want to admit it or not.
If it's not a big deal, then why object to me saying these guys will be Pro Bowlers? 2 out 14 busted in the last decade. The chances are high these guys will be Pro Bowlers.

If it's not a big deal, then why object to me saying these guys will be Pro Bowlers? 2 out 14 busted in the last decade. The chances are high these guys will be Pro Bowlers.
Just remember that the next time you come down on someone talking highly about a rookie who's never taken a snap in the NFL.

Just remember that the next time you come down on someone talking highly about a rookie who's never taken a snap in the NFL.
Not just ANY rookie.

Top 14 players at one position.

There are several positions at the very top of the draft that almost never bust. QB is not one of them. CB and WR are. LT too. But beware if you're drafting LBs, RBs and DLs up there.

Man, Kelee Ringo with the 10.43 100m (0 wind?) 21.18 200m in 11th grade. Hopefully he's got it upstairs because for his size, that speed is incredible. Certainly has had some huge moments in his career. Can even see a DMcCourty type of career progression (start at cb switch to safety). Tough call as it's looking like he's going 1st half of Rd1, and Pats clearly need OTs.

Man, Kelee Ringo with the 10.43 100m (0 wind?) 21.18 200m in 11th grade. Hopefully he's got it upstairs because for his size, that speed is incredible. Certainly has had some huge moments in his career. Can even see a DMcCourty type of career progression (start at cb switch to safety). Tough call as it's looking like he's going 1st half of Rd1, and Pats clearly need OTs.

Yes, the Pats need OTs. However, the Pats could sign a RT, kick Strange out to LT, and draft Reserve LT and RT outside the 1st round while drafting a top tier CB...
Or the Pats could sign a LT and draft a RT and a swing tackle outside of round 1.

Yep, I think that's Exactly what the call might have to be at #14: either Left Tackle or CB1, because I really doubt that Both of these needs will have been satisfactorily filled during the pre-draft free agency period alone...

Last edited:
Placing Strange at LT kinda worries me lol

Not entirely far-fetched: Strange69 has superior height, hand size & wingspan to Isaiah Wynn/Lose, who is heavier & has a 3/8" reach advantage:

My question has always been: Why wasn't Strange69 playing Left Tackle on his own wee little college team?!?

I watched film of McClendon, the guard coming out of Chattanooga this year and as a day 3 day, he might have more upside than Hines!

At some point bb has to move cole “the” strange “pick” to center and get a real man to play left guard. Cole plays on skates and is going to get jones killed. Of course, sadly, cole got better coaching in high schools than he got from Patricia or Yates, so maybe there is hope for cole if he can add 40 pounds

Placing Strange at LT kinda worries me lol
Why? He's got the same Height and weight as Matt Light. His arms are longer, has better mobility and will have as good or better strength. It's also a position he played in college. With Klemm on board, I think kicking Strange out is definitely feasible and would throw the "critics" for a loop.

Not entirely far-fetched: Strange69 has superior height, hand size & wingspan to Isaiah Wynn/Lose, who is heavier & has a 3/8" reach advantage:

My question has always been: Why wasn't Strange69 playing Left Tackle on his own wee little college team?!?

If you have to ask this, then you're doing it wrong, Capt.
Strange's position in college was LG. But he kicked out to play LT for 2 games (regularly practiced there in case of injuries) and also played center for a game (despite never having taken a snap there) . Strange also played center at the Senior Bowl. Which could ALSO be where the Pats might move him. I think he'd be better than Russey..

The guy has versatility. The Pats may just leave him at LG and have the other positions in case of emergency. *shrug* Only Belichick and O'Brien know for sure.

Why? He's got the same Height and weight as Matt Light. His arms are longer, has better mobility and will have as good or better strength. It's also a position he played in college. With Klemm on board, I think kicking Strange out is definitely feasible and would throw the "critics" for a loop.
I hope you are right. People always talked about Onwenu as a Tackle but he is a Guard. Strange is a beast when it comes to working out and training. Could be that a move is possible. I think he played a lot more Guard than Tackle in college? Why if he is really a Tackle?

Lol stop, he's not Matt Light. What's wrong with Strange staying at guard?

Here's Brett Kollmann on Strange's strengths and weaknesses. Note that he has 99%ile athleticism for a guard.

A) I really hope they try this and B) That being said the musical chairs along the line has been part of the problem.

I'm not a coach...those guys know far more then any of us but this seems like a no brainer now. This is Matt Light part 2.

A) I really hope they try this and B) That being said the musical chairs along the line has been part of the problem.

I'm not a coach...those guys know far more then any of us but this seems like a no brainer now. This is Matt Light part 2.

Maybe Matt Light should have been a guard? If we had pick #14 to select a left OT back then, would we have slid Matt Light over to guard?

Maybe Matt Light should have been a guard? If we had pick #14 to select a left OT back then, would we have slid Matt Light over to guard?
Your scenario doesn't really make sense. We had the #6 pick and drafted Richard Seymour the year the Pats drafted Matt Light. If the Pats didn't have #6 and had #14 instead, they'd likely have taken Jeff Backus and Matt Light would never have been drafted by the Patriots.

There were PLENTY of people who said Light should be moved inside. He wasn't and he made All-Pro in 2007 on what should have been the Pats undefeated year that the league made sure didn't happen.

The difference between Light and Strange is that Strange has shown a good willingness and ability to be versatile. The one downside to Strange is that he was 24 when drafted. So is 2 years older than most other rookies drafted with him.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back