PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2021 TE/PTP Thread

Tony Poljan is an interesting prospect. 6'7', 225lb former college QB, really good hands, really smart and a good route runner. He's a willing, but below average, blocker. And that's being kind. But with a bit of polishing, could be a beast.

I think Tommy Tremble would be a solid mid-late round pick. He's a hell of a blocker, NFL ready in that area. Inconsistent hands but pretty good athleticism. Little bit of YAC ability. Great intensity and work ethic.

He has some potential in that Swiss army knife role.
He enterting?

I would like Freiermuth or Pitts. Because of the hype of the WR class, a couple of good/elite tight ends might slide down to Pats drafting position.

Pats suck at drafting WRs so the safer move is to spend FA money on WR and draft an elite TE and develop him if we go in that direction. Obviously RB is all set as we have a top 5 RB unit this past season.

I would like Freiermuth or Pitts. Because of the hype of the WR class, a couple of good/elite tight ends might slide down to Pats drafting position.

Pats suck at drafting WRs so the safer move is to spend FA money on WR and draft an elite TE and develop him if we go in that direction. Obviously RB is all set as we have a top 5 RB unit this past season.

after painfully watching Keene try to play tight end last year, I wonder if bb just moves him to delvin’s old position.

that would open a spot because us to draft a real tight end.

after painfully watching Keene try to play tight end last year, I wonder if bb just moves him to delvin’s old position.

that would open a spot because us to draft a real tight end.
Let's be honest. Keene barely qualifies as a warm body, no less a tight end. There's a reason he couldn't get much play even though the Pats had one of the worst TE productions in the entire NFL.

If we can't get a top 5 QB in round 1, I wouldn't mind us drafting elite TE round 1 and QB prospect round 2. Obviously I still believe QB is the most important position but it depends on where the talent falls. I'm still in favor of us moving up into top 10 to take the best QB prospect we can. But we shall see how BB values the talent.

Let's be honest. Keene barely qualifies as a warm body, no less a tight end. There's a reason he couldn't get much play even though the Pats had one of the worst TE productions in the entire NFL.

If we can't get a top 5 QB in round 1, I wouldn't mind us drafting elite TE round 1 and QB prospect round 2. Obviously I still believe QB is the most important position but it depends on where the talent falls. I'm still in favor of us moving up into top 10 to take the best QB prospect we can. But we shall see how BB values the talent.

which qb is worth trading up for?

an examination of the potential qb’s available shows us:

1.) Lawrence will be long off the board by pick number 2.

2.) fields is a two year starter that struggles to throw into press man coverage. He is completely inept at pre snap reads and can not read defenses post snap. He excels throwing against cover 2 and is very mibe

3.) Wilson will excel in a vertical passing scheme that gives him time to hold the ball and/or use his legs to extend plays, this backyard qb play is not working in our offense.

I struggle to see bb trading up for any of these qb’s not named Lawrence.

which qb is worth trading up for?

I struggle to see bb trading up for any of these qb’s not named Lawrence.

Of course you struggle to see a QB outside of Lawrence. He's the easy consensus evaluation.

What is more challenging is finding the right QB with upside who could fit in our system.

Just look at Patrick Mahomes, he was evaluated as a 2nd round pick or even as late as a 4th round pick by PRO NFL scouts.

What chance do us armchair scouts stand when we haven't been to the games to watch these kids in live action games?

I'm just saying there's certainly a QB out there who will be overlooked. The challenge is finding that worthy QB prospect, making the tough call, and cashing it in.

It's easy to 'play safe', but it's not easy to spot a Russell Wilson or a Drew Brees, where other scouts are writing them off as 2nd/3rd round talents when in fact, after the benefits of hindsight, we can see they are clearly 1st round perennial pro bowl QB talents.

Of course you struggle to see a QB outside of Lawrence. He's the easy consensus evaluation.

What is more challenging is finding the right QB with upside who could fit in our system.

Just look at Patrick Mahomes, he was evaluated as a 2nd round pick or even as late as a 4th round pick by PRO NFL scouts.

What chance do us armchair scouts stand when we haven't been to the games to watch these kids in live action games?

I'm just saying there's certainly a QB out there who will be overlooked. The challenge is finding that worthy QB prospect, making the tough call, and cashing it in.

It's easy to 'play safe', but it's not easy to spot a Russell Wilson or a Drew Brees, where other scouts are writing them off as 2nd/3rd round talents when in fact, after the benefits of hindsight, we can see they are clearly 1st round perennial pro bowl QB talents.

lawrence is literally a three carrot diamond surrounded by a bunch of 1/8 carrot diamonds. He is impossible to overlook,

the guy that might be a diamond in the rough and develop into a viable qb might be monds of Texas a&m. If whoever drafts him has a strong run game, he could duplicate what Prescott did for Dallas as a rookie,

Tommy Tremble is one of my favorite picks in the entire draft. Second coming of Kittle. Rockstar blocker, great receiver. Future Pro Bowler.

If we're talking later rounds, Nick Eubanks has some talent to work with.

Tommy Tremble is one of my favorite picks in the entire draft. Second coming of Kittle. Rockstar blocker, great receiver. Future Pro Bowler.

If we're talking later rounds, Nick Eubanks has some talent to work with.

isn’t tremble a bit of a stiff athlete?

isn’t tremble a bit of a stiff athlete?
I wouldn't say he's stiff for a TE. Sure, he's stiffer than Chase Claypool, but that's fair.

Here are a few highlights. The first half is blocking, and then it shows his receiving.

Tremble's pro day numbers:

Height: 6'3.3"
Weight: 241
9 1/4” hands
31 7/8” arms
78 1/2” wingspan

40: 4.59
Broad jump: 10'2"
Vert: 36.5"
Bench reps: 20

Not sure why he didn't participate in shuttles, but he's a solid athlete. Middle of the pack in terms of measurables, small hands, which probably contributed to some bad drops throughout his career. But he's got a lot of intangibles, work ethic and intensity. He looks for contact and blasts and moves guys rather than just stalk blocking you see from a lot of tight ends.

Last edited:
Tremble's pro day numbers:

Height: 6'3.3"
Weight: 241
9 1/4” hands
31 7/8” arms
78 1/2” wingspan

40: 4.59
Broad jump: 10'2"
Vert: 36.5"
Bench reps: 20

Not sure why he didn't participate in shuttles, but he's a solid athlete. Middle of the pack in terms of measurables, small hands, which probably contributed to some bad drops throughout his career. But he's got a lot of intangibles, work ethic and intensity. He looks for contact and blasts and moves guys rather than just stalk blocking you see from a lot of tight ends.

32 inch arms?

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back