PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2021 LB/PTP Thread

BaconGrundleCandy

Not the kind of guy to say I told you so ...
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'll use this thread to discuss the LB position and potential PTP. It's a pretty top heavy group with some depth but it's July. Few things I always look for when scouting guys for NEP are ability to take on and blow up blocks/pullers, heavy hands and ability to play along los. Guys that can really handle themselves in the trenches. Whether it's through finess, ability to ID and hit run fits or physicality.

How I've graded the position.
Screenshot_2020-07-27-23-36-54.png

Screenshot_2020-07-27-23-38-42.png

Screenshot_2020-07-27-23-39-48.png

Screenshot_2020-07-27-23-40-38.png

Screenshot_2020-07-27-23-42-16.png

Tier 1

Micah Parsons - PSU 6'3/245

Dylan Moses - Alabama - 6'3/235

Chazz Surratt - UNC - 6'3/230

Jack Sanborn - Wisconsin - 6'2/235

Nick Bolton - Missouri - 6'/235

Erroll Thompson - Miss St - 6'1/250

Jabril Cox - LSU - 6'3/235

Noah Taylor - Virginia - 6'5/215

Baron Browning - OSU - 6'3/250

Tier 2A
James Skalski - Clemson - 6'/235

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah - Notre Dame - 6'1/215

Nate Landman - Colorado - 6'3/230

Isaiah Moore - N.C. State - 6'2/240

Zane Zandier - Virginia - 6'3/230

Merlin Robertson - Arizona St - 6'3/250

Garret Wallow - TCU - 6'2/21

Joseph Ossai - Texas - 6'4/245 *

K.J. Britt - Auburn - 6'/235

Anthony Hines - Texas A&M - 6'3/225

Tier 2B
Tuf Borland - OSU - 6'1/230

Paddy Fisher - Northwestern - 6'4/245

Anthony Ekpe - Ball St. - 6'/235

Isaac Slade-Mataulia - Oregon - 6'1/235

Joe Dillon - ULL - 6'3/220

Zaven Collins - Tulsa - 6'4/255

Cameron McGrone -Michigan - 6'1/230

Blake Gallagher - Northwestern - 6'1/235

Riko Jeffers - Texas Tech - 6'2/240

Tony Fields - Arizona - 6'1/220

Mohamed Sanogo - Ole Miss - 6'2/245

James Houston - Florida - 6'1/235

Devin Lloyd - Utah - 6'3/235

Mike Rose - Iowa St - 6'3/240

Tier 3
Max Richardson - B.C. - 6'/230

Jake Hansen - Illinois - 6'1/225

Antijuan Simmons - Michigan St - 6'/215

Bumper Pool - Arkansas - 6'2/230

Monty Rice - Georgia - 6'1/235

Ernest Jones - South Carolina - 6'2/235

Derrick Barnes - Purdue - 6'1/245

Jacquez Jones - Ole Miss - 6'235

Colin Schooler - Arizona - 6'1/230

Palaie Gaoteote - USC - 6'2/250

Caleb Kelly - Oklahoma - 6'3/225

Jordan Williams - Ball St - 6'4/230

Ventrell Miller - Florida - 6'/225

Ayinde Eley - Maryland -6'3/225

Micah McFadden - Indiana - 6'2/230

Tier 4
Kuony Deng - Cal - 6'6/220

Ale Kaho - Alabama - 6'1/230

O’Rien Vance - Iowa St - 6'1/230

Cam Jones - Indiana - 6'3/225

Rayshard Ashby - Virginia Tech - 5'10/235

Carlton Martial - Troy - 5'10/215

DeAndre Square - Kentucky - 6'1/205

Jahad Woods - Wash St/ 6'1/230

Dorian Etheridge - Louisville - 6'3/230

Charlie Thomas - Georgia Tech - 6'2/210

Troy Brown - Central Michigan - 6'2/205

Markees Watts - Charlotte - 6'2/215

Charles Snowden - Virginia - 6'6/235

Jamar Watson - Kentucky - 6'3/245

Cameron Goode - Cal - 6'3/235

Zach McCloud - Miami - 6'2/235

Buddy Johnson - Texas A&M - 6'2/230

Christian Allbright - Ball St - 6'2/235

Lakia Henry - Ole Miss - 6'/235

Anthony Pandy - Arizona - 6'/225

David Curry - Georgia Tech - 6'2/230

Amen Ogbongbemiga - Ok St - 6'1/225

Jacobi Hearn - New Mexico - 6'/230

Justus Rogers - Wash St - 6'2/230

CJ Avery - Louisville - 5'11/220

Blaze Alldredge - Rice - 6'2/220

Akeleis Leroy - FAU - 5'11/235

Cornel Jones - FSU - 6'2/235

Lawrence Garner - Old Dominion - 6'3/230

Kristopher Moll - UAB - 6'1/215

DQ Thomas - MTSU - 6'2/215

Olakunle Fatukasi - Rutgers - 6'1/230

Tyshon Fogg - Rutgers - 6’1/235

Justin Rice - Fresno St - 6'2/225

Elijah Sullivan - Kansas St - 6'/210

Last edited:
Appreciate these pre-season listings; they give me something on which to look back when starting my draft research during Christmas vacation...A couple of thoughts on those prior lists:

2012 - Not a LB question, but what did you think of Marvin Jones that year (didn't see his name among the WRs shown beside the LB list, thus my curiosity)? He was a binkie of some of us in the forum who thought that his value started as early as late 3rd round...

2014 - KVN is shown lotsa love here; did you see him as just a 3-4 forward-moving OLB (as I did), or did you see hybrid sideline-to-sideline versatility in him already?

2018 - I also thought highly of Genard Avery; he & Micah Kiser were Infinity times better prospects at 143 than JaWrong Bentley was, and still is...but what was it about Kiser that gave him a grade closer to Christian Sam (whom I also liked better than Bentley; hell I liked Leon Jacobs WAY more than Bentley) than to Avery?

2017 - Sorry, but...Boney Tony right there with Ryan Ramczyk?!?

2016 - And may Almighty God damn Stokoe to Hell forever for denying us the opportunity to steal Myles Jack with our 1st-rounder...

Parsons and Moses will both be franchise LBs

Skalski I like a ton, reminds me of Spikes, but built for old school NFL

Jones from Indiana I like a lot as well

Appreciate these pre-season listings; they give me something on which to look back when starting my draft research during Christmas vacation...A couple of thoughts on those prior lists:

2012 - Not a LB question, but what did you think of Marvin Jones that year (didn't see his name among the WRs shown beside the LB list, thus my curiosity)? He was a binkie of some of us in the forum who thought that his value started as early as late 3rd round...

2014 - KVN is shown lotsa love here; did you see him as just a 3-4 forward-moving OLB (as I did), or did you see hybrid sideline-to-sideline versatility in him already?

2018 - I also thought highly of Genard Avery; he & Micah Kiser were Infinity times better prospects at 143 than JaWrong Bentley was, and still is...but what was it about Kiser that gave him a grade closer to Christian Sam (whom I also liked better than Bentley; hell I liked Leon Jacobs WAY more than Bentley) than to Avery?

2017 - Sorry, but...Boney Tony right there with Ryan Ramczyk?!?

2016 - And may Almighty God damn Stokoe to Hell forever for denying us the opportunity to steal Myles Jack with our 1st-rounder...
99.9% of the time I don't have someone listed is bc I couldn't/didn't watch them enough/lack of tape, just didn't get around to it. Sometimes I just forget, getting caught up in it. It happens. I probably would've had him higher than the 5th round, where he went but who knows.

I thought KVN would flourish under any scheme honestly. Always wanted him closer to the ball. Bill played him perfectly. I think we'll look back and seen that. I think he balls out in Mia but probably had his best years here.

I don't rank prospects. I probably couldn't without letting bias come through. I still put in my opinion in bits and pieces but I grade on position traits. Then add in combine, my thoughts and average the two. Just let it fall that way. Anytime you do that and really let the results play out you'll have outliers and weird **** happen.
So I never care who's in front of who even though that's all that everyone cares about. I always wanted to hit on the specific prospect and tell you about him. Where he'll go. Not getting 1, 2, 3, 4 - 10 right. That's boring to me again even though that's literally what everyone else cares about. It usually works itself out and I end up happy.

TBhelmut ran #'s but not enough using the AV from pfr. I need to get grades from others to compare. He ran mine and NFL so far.

We could've had Jack and both Smiths. Telvin and Jaylon. Cowboys deserve a ton of credit for Smith. I mean he was roadkill after that injury.

Parsons and Moses will both be franchise LBs

Skalski I like a ton, reminds me of Spikes, but built for old school NFL

Jones from Indiana I like a lot as well
I love Bolton and Skalski as guys Bill might go for. It's a decent group.

...We could've had Jack and both Smiths. Telvin and Jaylon. Cowboys deserve a ton of credit for Smith. I mean he was roadkill after that injury.
Yeah I also liked Telvin Smith for us, at either 130 or 140, even if he didn't exactly match our usual physical profile for the position...I thought he was one of the BPAs regardless of position and that he would've made a nice sideline-to-sideline complement to Hightower & Collins...

Yeah I also liked Telvin Smith for us, at either 130 or 140, even if he didn't exactly match our usual physical profile for the position...I thought he was one of the BPAs regardless of position and that he would've made a nice sideline-to-sideline complement to Hightower & Collins...
Yea I thought he could've been Bill's mythical hybrid he was searching after for about a decade.

Some really nice fits from Bolton. Dude is so physical.

Last edited:
Tony Fields, Arizona transfer now at WVU. Having a good year. Doesn't fit our type at LB but has been all the field this year. Rushing the QB off the edge - blitzing. Welcomes contact even though he's about 225. Love how chippy he is in coverage. Doesn't cross the line but will reroute crossers and have no problem touching them up a little bit with a forearm or shove. Decent eyes playing the hole defender. Got his first pick the other week. That defense has some other players on it as well.

Baron Browing is someone who might fit our type and someone I'll have my eye on. 6'3/250 - ish. Versatile played OLB in HS. Moved around a little but played inside last year, mostly as 3rd/4th LB. Going back outside this and is on record saying he's most comfortable at SAM. He's shown he can do a little bit of everything. You want to see him lock down and own a role. He's someone we might be interested in if that happens and build off that. Hoping he's put on a few pounds bc I think SAM is his fit as well.

KJ Britt is someone I could see us taking a shot at in the early-mid rounds. Has been one of the leaders on that defense for a minute now. Has been a great defender by PFF and he is good but his tackling technique is inconsistent imo. Still, fearless shooting gaps. Wants to play behind the line. Has played almost every position at LB but will mostly be inside next level. Seems like a smart player. Someone who make dumb mistakes but not flashy plays either. Good reads against the run for the most part and guesses right when he has to. Can rock back and forth. Patrol that shallow zone. Not someone who can hang with RB/TE. Reminds me a little bit of Roberts, Bentley ... Not sure if that's a good thing but so many things go into a player working out. Obviously someone likes Roberts if he's still playing? Physical guys that lack athleticism. Good teammates. Can be solid but exploited at times. Not the best COD (change of direction) Coaches love these guys bc they're football players who love being coached.

After 5 games, I do not have a first round grade on Moses of Alabama.

he might want to think about going back to Alabama fir his senior year,
Agreed he hasn't been that good. Esp in coverage. I could see him going back.

Monty rice of Georgia is a coverage linebacker who could contribute in our defense.

and the Georgia safety that was in the car wreck lacounte, could be the Chung replacement we desperately need.

Some of the best instincts in the class

He's been on my PTP board. Here's where he's played this year and he's been effective everywhere.
Screenshot_2020-11-18-19-15-59.png

If Collins test well I think he's an automatic top 50 pick. Supposedly 6'4/250 and carries it very well. Really curious if he can play inside bc he looks like a SAM prototype. Stat sheet filler. Heads Up, smart player. He's always reading eyes. Been very good in coverage for multiple years. One of the more intriguing prospects.

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back