PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2020 IOL/PTP Thread

I think Ben Bredesen #74 from Michigan looks pretty good as an OG prospect. He's athletic, sticks with his blocks, looks like he has good quickness for pulling and can get to the second level.

I think Ben Bredesen #74 from Michigan looks pretty good as an OG prospect. He's athletic, sticks with his blocks, looks like he has good quickness for pulling and can get to the second level.

he does not have a lot of lateral mobility or quickness. But going forward, he is a beast.

he does not have a lot of lateral mobility or quickness. But going forward, he is a beast.

For the or sake of comparison as I watch on YouTube, which prospects do you think have good lateral mobility and quickness?

For the or sake of comparison as I watch on YouTube, which prospects do you think have good lateral mobility and quickness?
Check out Nick Harris, Hunt, Wirfs, Hennessey, Cushenberry

quinten Nelson from Notre Dane a few years back is the gold standard.

2020 NFL Scouting Combine winners/losers: OL

Tristan Wirfs, OL, Iowa

Many have projected Wirfs as a Pro Bowl guard, and he did nothing on this night to dampen the high expectations for his future. His testing was off the charts for a 6-foot-5, 320-pound lineman. He set a record for his position with a 36.5-inch vertical, tied the record with a 10-foot-1 broad jump, ran a 4.85 40 (the best time among O-linemen this year) and recorded a 7.65-second three-cone drill (fifth-best among offensive linemen). Then he moved like he was controlled by a joystick on change of direction and pulling drills, moving effortlessly from side to side and back and forth at the whim of coaches leading the drills. His agility around cones was also impressive. Wirfs' arms measured 34 inches earlier this week, which means an NFL team may try him at tackle given his size and athleticism. Put it all together, and a team is going to want to lock him up early in the first round.

Hakeem Adeniji, OL, Kansas
Adeniji's smooth movement was tough to overlook. He looked the part of a guy capable of playing multiple positions in the NFL, providing the strongest punch in the group when asked to hit a bag, but still dropping his hips to change directions well. It's been a strong postseason for Adeniji, which could result in him being picked much earlier than many expected back in December.

Ezra Cleveland, OT, Boise State
Cleveland put on quite a show during his time in Indianapolis. He benched-pressed 30 reps before stepping foot on the Lucas Oil Stadium turf, fifth most among O-linemen. Cleveland ran a 4.93-second 40 with a very good 1.73 10-yard split, and that straight-line speed showed in some of the on-field drills. He struggled in other drills when quick change of direction was needed, but his 7.26-second three-cone result was ridiculous for his size (and was the best mark among O-linemen). Teams will be taking another look at the game tape on this underclassman after this performance.

Austin Jackson, OT, USC
Jackson measured at a shade under 6-foot-5 and 322 pounds, with 34 1/8-inch arms. His 5.07 40 with an excellent 1.73-second get-off (10-yard split), added to a 31-inch vertical and 9-7 broad jump, gives him the athletic profile needed to land a first-round selection. Jackson moved well in pass-pro drills and showed light enough feet throughout the workout to give teams confidence in his ability to guard the edge against elite NFL defenders. With Louisville's Mehki Becton having to take a seat due to a tight hamstring after an outstanding 40 and one on-field drill, Jackson joined Wirfs in the spotlight and may have joined the top tier of the tackle group with his effort.

Trey Adams, OT, Washington
Adams' injury history (a 2017 ACL tear and 2018 back surgery) was well-known coming into the combine, and he needed to shine to make teams consider him for a top-100 selection. A 5.60-second 40 (with a 1.89-second 10-yard split, the second-worst in the group) did not aid that effort. Adams' on-field agility was limited during drills, as well. His experience at tackle was reflected in the kick-slide drill, though. I suspect he'll stick in the league for as long as his back will allow, but Adams will probably have to wait until later in the draft to hear his name called.

Logan Stenberg, OG, Kentucky
Stenberg does not suffer fools gladly on the field. Whether he's jawing with referees calling penalties on him or with opposing defensive linemen, he brings the intensity on every snap. However, he could not show the athletic prowess to grab a top-100 selection on Friday. While other large linemen got down the 40-yard dash line in a hurry, Stenberg finished with a pedestrian 5.30-second mark. The 8.00-second three-cone will not be a feather in his cap, either. On the field during drills, he struggled to move with fluidity. His lateral agility is limited, even in comparison to other interior players. His game is physicality, though, which is not part of the combine process.

2020 NFL Scouting Combine winners/losers: Tristan Wirfs shines

Wirfs workout was incredible. Thought maybe there was an outside shot but that sailed with the combine. He can stand on his combine and just cheer his teammates on at his proday now.

Wirfs workout was incredible. Thought maybe there was an outside shot but that sailed with the combine. He can stand on his combine and just cheer his teammates on at his proday now.
Yep, his get-off as reflected by his 10-yard split is especially smooth...and those thighs...insane...

Mekhi Becton running a 5.11 40 at 6'6 360 is also one of the most impressive feats I have ever seen at the combine...He's the anti-Orlando Brown Jr...

Others who I think made themselves some money today include Boise State LT Ezra Cleveland,
USC LT Austin Jackson & UConn's own Matthew Peart, who might have to be a RT in the pros...

Yep, his get-off as reflected by his 10-yard split is especially smooth...and those thighs...insane...

Mekhi Becton running a 5.11 40 at 6'6 360 is also one of the most impressive feats I have ever seen at the combine...He's the anti-Orlando Brown Jr...

Others who I think made themselves some money today include Boise State LT Ezra Cleveland,
USC LT Austin Jackson & UConn's own Matthew Peart, who might have to be a RT in the pros...

I do not have Becton or jelks on my draft board for tackles, because I think they are guards.

I have 100 percent faith that, if he is healthy, cajuste will become our starting right tackle after cannon gets hurt again.

As for drafting a tackle, I think we take a Third round flier of Adams of Washington or a seventh round flier on heck from North Carolina.

I have no idea about Cajuste? I think he is a figment of my imagination, I know they drafted him last year but I can’t be sure? Never seen him except in his draft video at his house. Not sure why some think he can just step in and play without any footage or links to his progress?

I'd take Lloyd Cushenberry in the first. Probably my top interior OL.

I was really hoping Ezra Cleveland would stay under the radar, but I think the cat is out of the bag. If you didn't know, he played with turf toe all season. He didn't practice during the weeks and toughed it out on gamedays. He was extremely limited in his mobility and his ability to anchor because of the injury. Now that he is healthy, he is starting to show his true ability. I think there is a real possibility he goes late round one or early round 2 and has a chance to be just as good as the top 4 guys everyone is talking about.

A guy like Ruiz as a plug-and-play replacement for Thuney or possibly Andrews if he's not healthy?

Makes some sense to me.

I do not have Becton or jelks on my draft board for tackles, because I think they are guards.

I have 100 percent faith that, if he is healthy, cajuste will become our starting right tackle after cannon gets hurt again.

As for drafting a tackle, I think we take a Third round flier of Adams of Washington or a seventh round flier on heck from North Carolina.
A 6'7", 365 lb Guard? With 35" arms? Becton should be given every opportunity to succeed at RT before he has to move inside.

I agree with Patriot Missle, Yawndy Cachoo is really just a figment of our imagination.

I wouldn't touch Adams until the second half of Day 3.

A guy like Ruiz as a plug-and-play replacement for Thuney or possibly Andrews if he's not healthy?

Makes some sense to me.
Thuney imo although he probably could make a go at any IOL tbh. Very talented. Has a little bit of everything. Obviously versatile but his talent is legit. Possible he's an impact player all along those spots. Not just someone filling in. Powerful going forward but he can really take and play with that power on the move.

A 6'7", 365 lb Guard? With 35" arms? Becton should be given every opportunity to succeed at RT before he has to move inside.

I agree with Patriot Missle, Yawndy Cachoo is really just a figment of our imagination.

I wouldn't touch Adams until the second half of Day 3.
I don't understand it either? Tremendous quicks and length. Ridiculous power. Biggest issues imo are improving his hands and weight but he's more than solid already.

Agreed on Adams.

We really could use Scar for another year. Esp if we land one of the big tackles like Wirfs or Becton.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back