PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2018 DRAFT QB THREAD

Last edited:
I think we go for Mason Rudolph if he is there..

I think we go for Mason Rudolph if he is there..

If the thought process is he can come in and win a game or 2 on the off chance Brady is hurt? Eh, Maybe? Not really sold on him tbh.

If the thought process is he can come in and win a game or 2 on the off chance Brady is hurt? Eh, Maybe? Not really sold on him tbh.

I’d personally like Lamar Jackson but can’t see him falling to us, tbh doesn’t look like Rudolph will fall either to us.

Will watch some more film later and give a more rounded review.

Mike White in the later rounds is my guess. He is exactly what the doctor ordered, i think.

I would love to see the Pats draft Luke Falk, he kind of had a down year but he played the majority of the season with a broken hand/wrist (non throwing hand). Because of that we could probably get him in the 3rd or 4th round. And an added bonus he is obsessed with TB12 he pre-order Tom's cookbook and buys into that whole TB12 methodology. Anyways check him out definitely worth a look.

PS...He's from Washington State so it would just be fitting that TB12 took the QB job from a Washington State QB (Bledsoe) and then when TB12 is done he hands the reins off to a Washington State QB (Falk). The whole thing seems so perfect like it is scripted for a Hollywood movie.
This is THE guy. I LOVE Luke Falk. In fact, I’d take him in the 2nd round, with either pick. He’s similar body type to TB12 (6’4” 223), he is ridiculously accurate, especially in the short passing game, with a quick release. He was a walk on (earned a scholarship), so he has a chip on his shoulder (sound familiar ?), and LOVES football. Above average arm (not Elway, but a good arm), can make all the throws. This is the guy I want for the Pats. 3 years to learn under Brady/Belichick, and then Brady retires and the kid takes over.

Another side note, we’ve had several former Washington State receivers try out this year as undrafted free agents, I remember River Cracraft was in, and I think Gabe Marks was in. So my point in mentioning that is, they’ve seen plenty of film on Falk already.

This is THE guy. I LOVE Luke Falk. In fact, I’d take him in the 2nd round, with either pick. He’s similar body type to TB12 (6’4” 223), he is ridiculously accurate, especially in the short passing game, with a quick release. He was a walk on (earned a scholarship), so he has a chip on his shoulder (sound familiar ?), and LOVES football. Above average arm (not Elway, but a good arm), can make all the throws. This is the guy I want for the Pats. 3 years to learn under Brady/Belichick, and then Brady retires and the kid takes over.

Another side note, we’ve had several former Washington State receivers try out this year as undrafted free agents, I remember River Cracraft was in, and I think Gabe Marks was in. So my point in mentioning that is, they’ve seen plenty of film on Falk already.

Appreciate the post man but have to disagree on Falk.

His game is too reliant on the short stuff. 60% of his yards come the short game.

This is bc his arm can't make consistent, tight NFL passes to intermediate & deep areas.

Force him to beat you deep. Pressure (he can't handle it and has no clock) , take away his "spot" & hes a completely different player.

There's a lot to like. Again, like Rudolph, I wouldn't mind if we're talking backup to win 1-3 games etc.

Appreciate the post man but have to disagree on Falk.

His game is too reliant on the short stuff. 60% of his yards come the short game.

This is bc his arm can't make consistent, tight NFL passes to intermediate & deep areas.

Force him to beat you deep. Pressure (he can't handle it and has no clock) , take away his "spot" & hes a completely different player.

There's a lot to like. Again, like Rudolph, I wouldn't mind if we're talking backup to win 1-3 games etc.
Well one thing I think we can all agree on. None of these guys are perfect, AND, there is no reason to think that these guys are what they are going to become in the NFL, meaning there’s always room for improvement. Just look at the scouting report on the greatest QB ever to live, one Tom Brady.

I only saw him in one game but was impressed. Saw recently he was projected 3rd or 4th round. Seems low. I would be all in on that.

Well one thing I think we can all agree on. None of these guys are perfect, AND, there is no reason to think that these guys are what they are going to become in the NFL, meaning there’s always room for improvement. Just look at the scouting report on the greatest QB ever to live, one Tom Brady.

I hear ya. We'll see.

Mike White in the later rounds is my guess. He is exactly what the doctor ordered, i think.

Shhhhh! shut your mouth kenny.o_O

Fellas what's the story on QB Danny Etling LSU he's ranked really low?? He looks decent in the Pocket and throws well outside the numbers.

luke-falk-of-the-washington-state-cougars-runs-with-the-ball-during-picture-id630629834.jpg
Luke Falk - Washington State - QB - 6'4/220

Background
  • From Logan, Utah. Went to Oaks Christian & Logan High School, after a move. Broke records for attp/comp in SR year.
  • Walk on at Washington St. & holds several passing records.
  • Emulates Tom Brady (Training, diet etc Has hat & T-shirt)

Strengths
  • 6'4/220 with room to add some weight/muscle. Prob should be 230-235.
  • For the most part very good mechanics (Base/Feet, quick, smooth release) Plenty to work with there. Arm can strength is sufficient, can hit 45-50.
  • At times good placement & very good accuracy. Can hit the sidelines, back shoulder & M.O.F. w/ anticipation. Adapt at hitting both left & right sides.
  • Isn't typical one read/air read. At times will go through some minor progressions.
  • Takes his craft very seriously & goes the extra mile in terms of training. Always trying to get better, including tinkering with mechanics & strength training. Looking to add on weight, get srronger now.
  • Teammates & Coaches can't say enough good things about him & his work ethic.
  • Put up tons of production & ran his offense like a QB in command.
  • Showed great toughness playing much of this year w/ a broken wrist.

Concerns
  • Falk doesn't have the velocity to complete tight, contested catches or the deep/deeper intermediate parts of the field w/ consistency. Won't test certain looks. Lives off short area throws - checkdowns/shallow crossers etc.
  • Very different player when moved off his spot & under pressure.
  • Inconsistent pocket presence, not much of a clock, holds onto the ball too long.
  • System - gets great spacing from scheme he won't see at next level bc of talent. He'll often wait until his man is wise open before throwing him open. How will he adjust under center & w/ different coaching/scheme?
  • Will lock onto his 1st read too often & advertise the throw. Throws off back foot too often when faced w/ disruption.
  • Average Athlete. Doesn't have the mobility to escape, manipulate the pocket if pressured.

Last edited:
DRW49V-XkAIhSwH.jpg
Mike White - PATRIOT-TYPE PLAYER - QB - Western Kentucky - 6'4/220 - Hands 9 3/8

Background
  • From Florida.
  • Didn't start playing football until SR year in high school. Was standout baseball prospect as a pitcher. Had 90+ fastball & miniscule e.r.a. Started playing at 3.
  • Started at U.S.F. for 2 years before coach Taggart made a change to Quinton Flowers. White transferred to W.K.U. after being introduced to Brandon Doughty (Former W.K.U. QB) by Ken Masterole, his private QB coach. It was then White fell in love w/ W.K.U. & realized he wasn't ready at U.S.F. Knew he need to do more film study, prep work, ask more questions, practice on situational football.

Strengths
  • Looks the part with a real 6’4/220 frame for teams to mold.
  • Pre-Snap - Can can see where he wants to go & spot areas before the ball is snapped. Will call out a defender. Post-Snap - at times will scan but very comfortable working half the field.
  • Has arm talent. His arm can touch & hit deep, intermediate & short areas of the field. Good strength & good velocity.
  • Good accuracy over the last few years. Capable of delivering a ball between defenders or drop it in the barrel on vertical routes & in m.o.f. At times throws w/ touch & anticipation.
  • Showed promise at U.C.F. & Had success at U.W.K. Been through several systems & coaches, shown ability to bounce back after adversity.Back to back 4,100+ yard seasons & 60+ combined TD’S over that span. Lot was asked of him & he didn't shy away from challenge of a full plate.
  • Gained confidence & looked the part w/ NFL talent around him (Lamp, Taylor) , protected pocket & helped from balanced attack (on either side of the ball) Recognized he had major hurdles in terms of preparation & training & is still trying to improve overall game.
Concerns
  • Mental processing wasn't quick enough & stayed on 1st or same read too long. At times would, could see where he wanted to go but body/mind weren't in sync.
  • Velocity isn't a “problem” but it was inconsistent at times (near hash-sideline for ex)
  • Lower half gets stuck in quicksand when ask to make sudden departures from pressure. If NFL athletes are close it's most likely a sack. Quick re-sets are a problem. Footwork could def improve.
  • Internal clock, pocket awareness has to improve. His OL has bad (really bad, they were always offsides even if it wasn't called) but he was responsible for more than his share of sacks & mistakes back there.

Summary
White has plenty of tools to work with & improve upon. Looks the part & has battled through change & adversity. Coaches & teams will have to decide if he's worth the gamble because he's a slow processor. His lack of athleticism won't change. He is who he is there. Has to be noted that Whites been through several system changes & a transfer so stability is something he's never had. He could get the benefit of the doubt there. It's very possible he could click with the right coaches & system after sitting for a year. White’s value is currently in the 3rd-early 4th round

Last edited:
Mike White - Traits That Translate

View attachment 19513
Luke Falk - Washington State - QB - 6'4/220

Background
  • From Logan, Utah. Went to Oaks Christaian & Logan High School, after a move. Broke records for attp/comp in SR year.
  • Walk on at Washington St. & holds several passing records.
  • Emulates Tom Brady (Training, diet etc Has hat & T-shirt)

Strengths
  • 6'4/220 with room to add some weight/muscle.
  • For the most part very good mechanics (Base/Feet, quick release) Plenty to work with there.
  • At times good placement & accuracy. Can hit the sidelines, back shoulder & M.O.F. w/ anticipation. Adapt at hitting both left & right sides.
  • Isn't typical one read/air read. At times will go through some progressions.
  • Takes his craft very seriously & goes the extra mile in terms of training. Always trying to get better, including tinkering with mechanics & strength training. Looking to add on weight now.

Concerns
  • Falk doesn't have the velocity to complete tight, contested catches or the deep/deeper intermediate parts of the field. Won't test certain looks.
  • Very different player when moved off his spot & under pressure.
  • Inconsistent pocket presence, not much of a clock, holds onto the ball too long.
  • System gets great spacing. He'll often wait until his man is wise open before throwing him open.
  • Will lock onto his 1st read too often & advertise the throw.
  • Doesn't have the mobility to escape, manipulate the pocket. Average athlete.

Quick release, good accuracy & hard working. Falk looks like a perfect fit. Lauletta has similar strengths. I think the Pats would have a good chance of grooming either to be TB's successor.

Quick release, good accuracy & hard working. Falk looks like a perfect fit. Lauletta has similar strengths. I think the Pats would have a good chance of grooming either to be TB's successor.

We'll see. I think I'll add P-TP beside Falk at some point. Lauletta & White are really intriguing to me. 23 yo rookies that have a ton of potential with the right development in their game.

Both guys path hasn't been a straight line, as it rarely is but I like how they arrived here and their overall trajectory.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back