PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Best pass catching back out of the backfield in the TB/BB era?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewskie

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Who you got?

Kevin Faulk
Danny Woodhead
Shane Vereen
Dion Lewis
James White

No sarcasm: this is a great topic. Looking forward to the discussion.

My natural response was Faulk but as much as I love him, he did have significant fumbling issues early on in his career.

Is it crazy to answer White here?

Ok... Faulk.

Last edited:
No sarcasm: this is a great topic. Looking forward to the discussion.

My natural response was Faulk but as much as I love him, he did have significant fumbling issues early on in his career.

Is it crazy to answe White here?

Ok... Faulk.
No, I don't think it's crazy to answer White, but I do think it's too early.

Have to go Vereen. He ran routes like a wide receiver and was targeted deeper down the field more than our other backs.

Kevin Faulk.

But in terms of athleticism it has to be Shane Vereen because he could actually run in between the tackles decently.

I personally loved Danny Woodhead. I'm always rooting for the guy!

They're all really good. Faulk is the correct answer, but no one has Dion Lewis' (pre injuries) sheer athleticism and YAC when he had some room to run. For that short time, he was about as explosive as anyone i've ever seen in the NFL outside of the Sanders/Rice/Moss all time great mold.

Woodhead would probably be my next choice after Faulk, b/c he's probably the best runner of all of them, and he did everything well. Running, catching, route running, blocking and he's been good on many teams now for a long time.

White has that great game for the ages and he is a dependable back that runs pretty solid routes and is good catching the ball. Vereen is probably the least good of them, but he was very good as well.

2015 Dion Lewis was the best I have seen a 3rd down back or pass catching back play. Atleast for the Patriots. Unfortunately that was only for 8-9 games.

Faulk gets the nod. He was a better runner than White and had great hands. He never had the shiftiness that Dion portrayed for a half season but was consistently really good.

I'd put it like this:

1 game at his peak: Lewis. Those moves. I feel he's the only one to be a threat to run or catch for 100 yards in a game.
His whole career: Faulk. The durability. The dependability. The unselfishness.
Now, the interesting question might be which one would you sign to a three year contract at his peak? Faulk in 2003? James White now? Vereen in 2013? Woodhead in 2010? Lewis DQed by injury history?

Woodhead was tremendous in his short time here. He was a dynamic runner who allowed TB12 to run the hurry-up as well or better than any running back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back