mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
a draftee?

is Hoyer signed?

someone else?

no plan, just ASSUME that the patriots will win an appeal

I don't think Hoyer will be interested in a 4 game stint cuz he would be gone week 5

Draft Kevin Hogan in rd 6 and practice squad him week 5

I think Cody Kessler could become a decent NFL starting QB and an effective backup QB right away in this system. He comes from a pro-style offense, has some of the best accuracy in the draft, and his strength is passes from 0-20 yards. His weaknesses include height, arm strength, and a lack of physical traits. Those weaknesses aren't too big of a deal in our system.

I like Hogan as well but those mechanics are rough.

I don't think Hoyer will be interested in a 4 game stint cuz he would be gone week 5

Draft Kevin Hogan in rd 6 and practice squad him week 5

I'd be surprised if they just "handed" a rookie the backup job for the suspension period. When Brady went down in 2008, Cassel got the starting job but they wound up bringing Matt Gutierrez back as insurance for Kevin O'Connell.

I thought there was a decent chance they'd draft a QB late this year or bring an UDFA in even before the court's decision. What I think the decision does is actually bring a 4th veteran QB into camp. Likely not Hoyer, who might start in the right situation. The rookie will compete with the 4th QB, and the winner will be the backup during the suspension if it's still in force by then, and they could keep all 3 regardless if both look decent enough.

I'd be surprised if they just "handed" a rookie the backup job for the suspension period. When Brady went down in 2008, Cassel got the starting job but they wound up bringing Matt Gutierrez back as insurance for Kevin O'Connell.

I thought there was a decent chance they'd draft a QB late this year or bring an UDFA in even before the court's decision. What I think the decision does is actually bring a 4th veteran QB into camp. Likely not Hoyer, who might start in the right situation. The rookie will compete with the 4th QB, and the winner will be the backup during the suspension if it's still in force by then, and they could keep all 3 regardless if both look decent enough.

Any vet will want the full year guaranteed .... I guess you could chase down a Ryan Lindley but that buys you squat....its 4 weeks

Any vet will want the full year guaranteed .... I guess you could chase down a Ryan Lindley but that buys you squat....its 4 weeks

That's exactly the type of guy I'm thinking about, sadly. Like when they brought in Brady Quinn for a workout a few years back.

Yes, not exactly inspiring, but the point is a guy like that could still be better prepared than a rookie to be an emergency QB should something happen to Garappolo.

If a vet is on the roster from the preseason to week one his salary is guaranteed for the year, is it not?

Any vet who's on the roster in Week 1 is eligible for termination pay ("guaranteed salary") if he hasn't already used it.

If I were Bill, I'd ask his buddy Nick Saban for his opinion - his Honest opinion - on Jake Coker
as a 7th-round possibility.

That's exactly the type of guy I'm thinking about, sadly. Like when they brought in Brady Quinn for a workout a few years back.

Yes, not exactly inspiring, but the point is a guy like that could still be better prepared than a rookie to be an emergency QB should something happen to Garappolo.

I disagree

Here you go, I found the veteran QB to compete with the rookie:

JaMarcus Russell wrote every team, asking for a chance

:D

bingo.gif

In my opinion, given the recent and unfortunate turn of events, I would expect the Patriots to sign a veteran to stick behind Jimmy G the first four weeks. I do not think the team would be comfortable with someone with even less experience backing up the back-up over a quarter of the regular season.

In my opinion, given the recent and unfortunate turn of events, I would expect the Patriots to sign a veteran to stick behind Jimmy G the first four weeks. I do not think the team would be comfortable with someone with even less experience backing up the back-up over a quarter of the regular season.

Tim Rattay and Chris Simms say "Yeah, right."

Any vet who's on the roster in Week 1 is eligible for termination pay ("guaranteed salary") if he hasn't already used it.
So, he would paid about $1M for 4 games.

Heh, well if an intellectual leviathan such as Chris Simms disagrees with my humble opinion, then I know I am in the wrong.

Those were the veteran backups that the Patriots turned away at the door when Cassel took over for Brady.

Those were the veteran backups that the Patriots turned away at the door when Cassel took over for Brady.

Now, I gotcha. I'm not the swiftest bird on the flock.

It very well could unfold in a similar manner this season, if Brady is indeed out for the first quarter of 2016.

We will have to wait and see.

If a vet is on the roster from the preseason to week one his salary is guaranteed for the year, is it not?
I'd have no problem with that. Maybe he then can be dealt at the deadline.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back