PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Best Article Andy Hart Has Ever Written In His Life.

I love the rationale that the guy who stays late is the guy who starts. Let's just forget about ability. Let's forget about performance. And, of course, assume that every minute staying late is productive and makes you a better player. Can't just be to impress the boss. And, what's even worse, to give a damn about you family.

That's what I find suspicious about, what feels like a sales pitch on Newton for some reason. So, if Stidham stayed 1 minute later than Newton that means he's better than Newton? I am just not buying the narrative and how the media, of all media groups in the country, these Boston media dopes who stir up so much, can't simply tell us if BB was working 1:1 with Stidham last year or not?

How do you keep only 1 back up, a rookie, and then all of sudden turn away from the work you already put in with that prospect the year before? It doesn't make sense other than the pandemic completely ruining their schedule for him.

That's a pretty funny comparison, but a bit befuddled why this article is good. It tells us nothing and it makes no sense. If you had told me BB would think Cam Newton or any of these selfish, primadonna type "look at me" QBs that have come through the NFL, like a Mayfield or the types of QBs that think they are better than they are and love to read the press clippings for attention, that kind of player is absolutely NOT a fit for our culture here. That's a Jets player or maybe Seattle or a place like that. One of these loud mouthed teams....Dallas, Philly, etc. Maybe NOs.. Batlimore.....Teams that think they are better than they are and run their mouth a lot.

That's Cam Newton to me in Carolina his whole career, the Superman garbage, etc, etc, etc. I am still stunned BB signed him and even more stunned at, what appears to fake rhetoric BB is going out of his way to spin during a pandemic, where it comes off like it's being done by design.

Because Newton is 100% the opposite of Pats culture. BB likes high IQ, tough, consistent and productive players. Newton is NONE of that. At the first sign of a bad pattern happening with any player, BB addresses it with a demotion, benching, or he cuts the guy. Whenever the player wanted to make it about himself, that player was gone, so Newton never represented a Pats player. I live in NC so I know PLENTY of Panthers fans who saw what I saw. For years. He makes 1 flashy, nice play for 10 bad ones. Over and over and over.

What could have Stidham have possibly done from January until after the 4th of July with a whole missed offseason to be seen as someone who ascended to fast to being blocked or hidden away by Cam Newton?

What we need is real info, which I can try to get my hands on, because articles like this are useless especially from arrogant Hart who is in love with himself and has no resume beyond patriots.com and had his best years when he was in high school, most likely. lmao

Regardless, it may be back to Jimmy next year anyway. If it's not some odd way to motivate Stidham and he is not the guy, my money is on JimmyG coming back because SF only has 22 mil under the cap and needs to pay Fred Warner at LB, or they're screwed. Lynch has done a very poor job with the money, He's drafted well and the JimmyG trade certainly was strong for the (even though BB's yield is very impressive), so that's a strong possibility.

Next time just type, "blah blah blah" and save everyone the time from reading some pink hat gibberish.

Not sure if I agree completely. How many uber talented teams have the Pats beaten over the years? I'll take the Pats culture + talent over a superiorly talented team.
Ya, I do agree culture plays a huge role, but my disagreement with the original post is when the OP wrote “we’ll have a winning record next year because of culture.” It just doesn’t work that way. Culture didn’t give us a winning record this year, and if we don’t improve the talent (especially at QB) then next year could be similar to this one.

To be clear, I’m on board with Belichick trying to win to preserve the culture and not tanking.

Ya, I do agree culture plays a huge role, but my disagreement with the original post is when the OP wrote “we’ll have a winning record next year because of culture.” It just doesn’t work that way. Culture didn’t give us a winning record this year, and if we don’t improve the talent (especially at QB) then next year could be similar to this one.

To be clear, I’m on board with Belichick trying to win to preserve the culture and not tanking.

I agree.

That's what I find suspicious about, what feels like a sales pitch on Newton for some reason. So, if Stidham stayed 1 minute later than Newton that means he's better than Newton? I am just not buying the narrative and how the media, of all media groups in the country, these Boston media dopes who stir up so much, can't simply tell us if BB was working 1:1 with Stidham last year or not?

How do you keep only 1 back up, a rookie, and then all of sudden turn away from the work you already put in with that prospect the year before? It doesn't make sense other than the pandemic completely ruining their schedule for him.

Stidham had a golden opportunity and blew it. That's all we know. We don't know what he did or didn't do. Point is he didn't grab the opportunity by the horns. Either work ethic or knowing the playbook or too many INTs or checking home early to be with his wife.

Stidham had a golden opportunity and blew it. That's all we know. We don't know what he did or didn't do. Point is he didn't grab the opportunity by the horns. Either work ethic or knowing the playbook or too many INTs or checking home early to be with his wife.

FWIW I think the plan in March was to have Stid as the starter . . . . unless/until a better QB "fell into their laps."

They certainly were in no hurry to draft a QB, or to sign a veteran when they still had the money to do so.

Wait so that's a real picture Stidham posed for? Not a big deal since he probably just did it for money....BUT in light of his Pick 6 and complete lack of starting time, that photo does kinda make him look like a total loser.

I agree that continuing the Patriots winning culture is key. **** tanking.

Another shower-thought I had about Cam is this:

I used to hate his showboating in Carolina whenever it came on the highlight reel, but quickly came to love the guy as soon as I got a closer look at his personality. I really enjoy having Cam at quarterback. BUT. There's an interesting situation I see a lot of OG bucs fans in, where they seem more loyal to their boy Winston, than the incoming goat QB who clearly gives them a better shot at winning. It's almost like losing teams' fans see the jar-half-full in ways like (1) staying loyal to cool-but-not-great players, (2) endless 'what if' scenarios, etc.

I can't really say the loyalty to less-than-successful-players' is good/bad one way or the other, because blind loyalty to a corporate organization is kinda weird too. Just something I noticed and wondered if I would ever do with Cam. Belichick clearly thinks he's the #1 option right now. And while I'm really enjoying Cam at QB (despite the lack of success sometimes), I'm wondering how I'll feel once someone better comes along.

I've never once had to endure a QB change (Cassell doesn't count) in the 16 years I've been a Pats fan. Cam feels right at home, but I wonder if the next QB will.

Last edited:
Kirsch was useless.

PFW was literally unlistenable crap. People who had no chemistry and only limited insight talking over each other and trying to show off how funny they are. It was like listening to a podcast version of a sitcom with a laugh track.

I can only imagine a great writer like Dussault who actually understands the sport and can break it down must have done wonders for them.

That Tanguay article from earlier this week was epic.

I give him credit. He writes/says **** that compels fans to read and react. The problem is he is so over the top he can't be taken seriously.
He was filling in on WEEI this week and I reacted by turning it off in 30 seconds.

“The future is, he’s worried about winning the next game,” Lombardi told OMF on WEEI last week of Belichick. “He’s going to make sure he tries to become 9-7, which is the best record he can be.” BB will always bypass short gains for outright winning. Case in point, Welker's comment about the Jet's coach. BB benched Welker in the first quarter to dissatisfaction of some.
erm
The Welker move may have cost the Pats a playoff game because it caught the rest of the team off guard when Welker wasn't playing and they went 3 and out.

Maybe the Butler benching for the entire SB in 2017 was also a culture issue. We've never heard a reasonable explanation for that move either.

I don't look at those decisions as short gains. They felt like losses because they were losses, big ones.

Bill is the GOAT but not GOD. He makes mistakes, just not nearly as many as other HCs.

I think Andy Hart is basically telling us he’s not as good as Cam.

INTs are a big part of it. He takes risks but he’s really made one play this year in 68 snaps: the nice touch TD pass to Harry against KC. A big part of not being good enough is not taking care of the ball and that’s especially important when you don’t have a big play offense.

My general assessment is also that he appears to have not taken things seriously enough, judging by BB's actions. There's not much to go on, anyway.

However, he seems to have woke up a bit- he was 100% ready to go the last time he got put out there. His read progressions were much faster and better and he was getting the ball out pretty quick. He seems to have gotten the message that he's not going to get many chances to be a starting QB in the NFL.

I like PFW / Unfiltered but couldn't standing listening to Hart. He's a better writer.

Culture, talent, strategy...regardless of the type of organization, the latter two can be acquired or developed fairly quickly. Culture takes years. That's why it is the priority. It is also the most difficult.

Culture, talent, strategy...regardless of the type of organization, the latter two can be acquired or developed fairly quickly. Culture takes years. That's why it is the priority. It is also the most difficult.
Culture is a by-product of winning. No one cares what you say or what your protocols are unless you are winning. That is why there has been such a significant departure from culture this year with Bill becoming an excuse machine and also praising Cam every moment despite how putrid he has been. This team needs a legit QB. Period. When that happens then everyone can wax poetic about culture because we will be winning again.

so, did the culture help them bear Denver this year?

This is like the 2000 season where they ran every player through tough times, kept those who fit like the core foundational guys, and became better going into 2001. So I'm less bothered by the record, they've generally been competitive all season. Next season we have 175m in cap space and a top 10-15 pick.

We do? How did he blow it? He hadn't played in a year and a half. There are new WRs everywhere and a pandemic. You must have missed the timelines like SB1 has.

Did anyone say cut Garoppolo in during the 2015 season?

Here's a hint: Damiere Byrd played with Cam in Carolina. NE signed Damiere Byrd in FA before they signed Newton. By many months. Do the math, please. Then we hear NE had been in contact with Cam for a considerable period of time, which would lead one to believe between April and early July with the pandemic developments, no camps, and BB was desperate. And, he is. He is doing un-BBlike things, like praising the worst QB in a Pats uni since Tommy Hodson or Hugh Millen. Newton is horrible. There has to be something behind BB's game here. That's the point. Both Newton and Stidham are Auburn guys.

There is very little chance BB was annoyed from Sitdham's Dec shredding of our D in practice in 2019, after deciding to only keep him as the back up as the rookie QB, and the pandemic hitting in March. That's 3 months. What could he have done in 3 months to reverse the trend during a pandemic other than being a pandemic? Why did he give him the reps with the 1s in December? I highly doubt BB paid Terrence Brooks to say how good he looked in that small amount of time. It's not staged. It's real as his is superb preseason work.

I always thought the Byrd signing was odd since it happened so fast. I am not saying Byrd was signed to eventually sign Newton, but it's possible this was the plan once we learned of Covid and what it would mean for an NFL season.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back