PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ben Watson Suspended 4 games to Start the Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Suspected" -- convicted, suspended ...

I normally have reason to be suspicious about players getting suspended for PED’s or any banned substances.

However, Watson’s reasons seem very genuine and very understandable. He had not anticipated playing again.

Very high character individual. If all goes to plan, we will gladly see him in October.

Brady gets suspended: Pats win SB
Edelman gets suspended: Pats win SB
im glad we had at least one player suspended!!!

Next announcement will be his retirement.

They really should change the PED/drug policy to only prevent people from using performance enhancing meds...not meds that allow you to heal faster like HGH nor illegal drugs that only harm performance.

I am cool with this as the Pats knew this beforehand. We're very lucky to have Watson given that we lost Gronk and missed out on Jared Cook.

It's fine. At this point I don't care much about PEDs. Just about everyone does something.

Honestly considering his age taking 4 games off may turn out to be better for us in the long run. I can't see him playing 19 games effectively.

It's fine. At this point I don't care much about PEDs. Just about everyone does something.

Honestly considering his age taking 4 games off may turn out to be better for us in the long run. I can't see him playing 19 games effectively.
It'll also allow us to carry an extra player that would've other wise been cut for 4 games, right? Maybe give us a chance to hold onto a tough cut for an extra month and re-evaluate the roster. Between Gordon's possible return, DT, and now Watson, this team could look incredibly different leading up to the playoffs.

While this certainly "inconvenient" to say the least, I won't be pissed about this IF the Pats knew this was a possibility before they signed him. IF they did know, then it is what it is. Can't be a totally bad thing is Watson is limited to only 12 games this season. He is 38. It will also give us a chance to to look at the young guys close up.

HOWEVER if this was a surprise to the Pats, I wouldn't be surprised at all if one of the younger guys step up, Watson is a cap casualty at the start of the season. If they keep him the entire preseason, then they'd probably have to eat the $600,000 signing bonus. If they cut him within a week or so, they may get all or most of that back, taking the stance that the testosterone info should have been given before signing.

We'll know one way or another which scenario is true within a week or so.

Brady gets suspended: Pats win SB
Edelman gets suspended: Pats win SB
im glad we had at least one player suspended!!!
The new angle the haters are going to use!o_O

HOWEVER if this was a surprise to the Pats, I wouldn't be surprised at all if one of the younger guys step up, Watson is a cap casualty at the start of the season. If they keep him the entire preseason, then they'd probably have to eat the $600,000 signing bonus. If they cut him within a week or so, they may get all or most of that back, taking the stance that the testosterone info should have been given before signing.

We'll know one way or another which scenario is true within a week or so.

Actually, Ken, we know now.

His statement says very clearly that he discussed this with the clubs he was in negotiations with and the Pats offered him a contract knowing that a suspension was imminent.

Screen Shot 2019-05-26 at 6.26.44 PM.png

Title very surprising

But his explanation seems honest and genuine and I can buy this.

"I told my doctors I was finished playing, went through a series of medical tests and was prescribed Bio Identical Testosterone Cypionate to assist in healing my body and mind,”

Watson is a smart guy, but this was uninformed. Testosterone doesn't heal body or mind.

DisastrousHighlevelBoto-size_restricted.gif

But seriously, we’ll be ok.

Good, save some miles.

I assume the team knew this when they signed him as this will have had to have gone through the appeals process before going public.

The part I'm a bit uncertain about is, why did he go through the test if he was retired?

Ben, Wat Son???!? :eek::(

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye