PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick's record when facing elite, ultra talented offenses in the playoffs, will blow your mind!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score

Apparently, Belichick is a grandmaster when it comes to facing elite offenses, particularly teams with pro bowl talent

As it turns out, the Patriots are 5-0 in playoff games during the Bill Belichick era against teams with Pro Bowl players at the 3 most important positions on offense, during that season: QB, WR, and RB.

They are, as follows (via @Joey007 and @irishfanatic)

2001 Steelers (NE won 24-17, Pro-bowlers Stewart/Bettis/Ward, opponent scoring avg 22.0 ppg)
2001 Rams (NE won 20-17, Pro-bowlers Warner/Faulk/Holt/Bruce, opponent scoring avg 31.4 ppg)
2004 Colts (NE won 20-3, Pro-bowlers Manning/James/Harrison, opponent scoring avg 32.6 ppg)
2004 Eagles (NE won 24-21, Pro-bowlers McNabb/Westbrook/Owens, opponent scoring avg 24.1 ppg)
2012 Texans (NE won 42-14, Pro-bowlers Schaub/Foster/Johnson, opponent scoring avg 26.0)

Belichick's record expands to 6-0 when you include his time as DC on the 1990 Giants team, which defeated a record-setting Bills offense that also included 3 Pro-bowlers at QB, WR, and RB, in Super Bowl XXV)

1990 Bills (NYG won 18-17, Pro-bowlers Kelly/Thomas,/Reed, opponent scoring avg 26.75 ppg)

Cant wait to see what Bill does against Roethlisberger, Brown, and Bell. Shut em' down Bill! SHUT EM' DOWN!!!!!!!

Last edited:
The teams that came into Gillette and won in the playoffs - that's the '09 and '12 Ravens and '10 Jets - all had really strong offensive lines and elite defenses. None of those teams were really great on offense.

Tomlin doesn't change up the d scheme very much. BB is going to feast on him like usual

True, but this stat concerns Belichick defensive schemes - not Tomlin's

The teams that came into Gillette and won in the playoffs - that's the '09 and '12 Ravens and '10 Jets - all had really strong offensive lines and elite defenses. None of those teams were really great on offense.

Yes. But the figure cited here has more to do with teams like Pittsburgh, that have pro bowl skill players at the 3 top positions on offense: talent at QB (Roethlisberger), at wide receiver (Brown) and at running back (Bell)

Im gonna take a crack at those teams, 01 rams, 03 colts, 04 Colts, 06 chargers. not sure about the last one. but Id say the 03 titans as my first guess and the 01 Raiders as my second

So 01 rams was right. I saw 03 colts was wrong which I was suprised about. the 04 eagles, must be one I didnt even think of that team

Last edited:
Im gonna take a crack at those teams, 01 rams, 03 colts, 04 Colts, 06 chargers. not sure about the last one. but Id say the 03 titans as my first guess and the 01 Raiders as my second
Neither, 2012 Texans actually. Schaub, Foster and Johnson.

Edit: and apparently the 06 Chargers actually aren't one, they had Gates but he's a TE.

2nd EDIT: Ahhh. 04 Eagles. McNabb, Westbrook and TO.

Last edited:
I'd like to see the final scores and other team stats. Guess I could do the legwork myself lol.

Neither, 2012 Texans actually. Schaub, Foster and Johnson.

Edit: and apparently the 06 Chargers actually aren't one, they had Gates but he's a TE.

Yeah all of them were guesses. only got 2 right. So its 01 rams, 04 eagles and colts, 12 texans, lets find the last one. could be the 03 panthers but i dont think so

What about 04 eagles?

just looked, 04 eagles ans colts are two of the teams
Actually searched up myself, you actually got 3 out of 5, the 03-04 Colts and 01 Rams. So that would be all five.

Edit: scratch that, the 03 Colts didn't have that. My heads hurting. :eek:

Actually searched up myself, you actually got 3 out of 5, the 03-04 Colts and 01 Rams. So that would be all five.

Edit: scratch that, the 03 Colts didn't have that. My heads hurting. :eek:

01 Pittsburgh! I never would have guessed that one

FOUND IT. It's a weird one, the 01 Steelers. Apparently Kordell Stewart was considered a Pro Bowl QB that year. :rolleyes:

So: 01 Steelers, 01 Rams, 04 Colts, 04 Eagles, and the 12 Texans.

Phew.

Lol from my recollection of that game I would've never guessed either. I mean we literally made the QB cry. ;)

Totally forgot about stewart, I thought Maddox was the quarterback

Tomlin doesn't change up the d scheme very much. BB is going to feast on him like usual

Actually, Butler has installed a new defense. It's quite different in terms of secondary responsibility. Brady will still shred them, but it is a bit different.

I think that was in 02, the year after that. Stewart got benched for him.

Hey did your ratings buttons dissapear, mine dont show up, its Kinda just a blank thing, I can use them just not see what I am clicking

That 2004 Divisional game against the Colts was a thing of beauty.

Manning set the record for most TDs in a season.

The colts were the first team to have THREE wide receivers each with 1,000 yards and 10 TDs.

Who would be covering these elite receivers while an MVP quarterback was throwing them the ball?

That's right, 2nd year man Asante Samuel, undrafted rookie Randall Gay, and TROY BROWN!!!!!!

....and they gave up THREE POINTS! I mean, that's just unbelievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back