PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick may be out to prove he is still the best coach...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha, Ha ... okay, you weren't born before 2008.
So that means you are two year old not just figuratively, but literally?

I am a two year old Jet Troll that just spawned from the crust of Rex Ryan's belly button.

Anquan Boldin argued with his offensive coordinator on the sideline during an NFC championship game that his team won, because he was not getting enough playtime.

This is the guy we're upset because Belichick didn't trade for?

Yeah, this makes sense. :rolleyes: God forbid we want to trade for a wide receiver that actually wants to get into a game and make the impact that he and everyone else knows he's capable of. Here's an idea! Let's trade for a receiver that sulks on the sideline and does NOT want to get in the game. That would be so cool...

Every time you write something you prove once again how clueless you are. The Patriots have been around for fifty years, just as long as your Jets. That's not exactly a "short lived life span" - though the amount of time you have been a Jets fan surely is.

As for the last sentence, perhaps that would be correct if you deleted the words "AFC East" and replaced them with the name of your favorite team.

Since the NFL went from six divisions to eight divisions the AFC East has a 269-243 record; only the NFC East and AFC South have more wins. The AFC East as a whole has only two losing seasons in that time; only the AFC South is better, with one. And the AFC East has had the best record overall three times in that span; no other division has had the best record more than twice. In other words, just because your Jets have been weak, the division as a whole has not been.

Then again, I wouldn't expect somebody who just started watching football three months ago to know these things.

As for not making the playoffs, we'll have to wait and see. I've been hearing opposing fans crow that same 'Patriots are done' line for nine straight offseasons now; I suppose sooner or later, just like a stopped watch you could be right. But right now the Patriots are listed as 10:1 to win the Super Bowl, with only three teams listed as being more likely to win it. If you're that confident in the Jets then they're a better value at 15:1.

you're points are all on target, but, please,

:trolls:

Last edited:
Yeah, this makes sense. :rolleyes: God forbid we want to trade for a wide receiver that actually wants to get into a game and make the impact that he and everyone else knows he's capable of. Here's an idea! Let's trade for a receiver that sulks on the sideline and does NOT want to get in the game. That would be so cool...

From 2000-2005, people in this fan base loved finding reasons to justify bringing in free agents, because the Patriots were seemingly bringing them in by the hundreds. Since about 2006, when the CBA and the skyrocketing salary cap ceiling changed the free agent landscape, and the Patriots became less busy in the free agent market, the fan base now looks for every possible reason to justify NOT taking the free agents.

just a side note....from 2004 to 2008, the pats have the lowest percentage in the NFL in terms of draft picks still with the team

just a side note....from 2004 to 2008, the pats have the lowest percentage in the NFL in terms of draft picks still with the team

that stat's been put out here before and no doubt has some merit, but it's also been pointed out by many that the Pats teams from 03--08 were among the strongest in the history of the league, so making the team wasn't all that easy; plus, the pats weren't picking at the top of the draft most of the time in those years.

If we want a player like that, we're too late...LdT already signed somewhere else.

that stat's been put out here before and no doubt has some merit, but it's also been pointed out by many that the Pats teams from 03--08 were among the strongest in the history of the league, so making the team wasn't all that easy; plus, the pats weren't picking at the top of the draft most of the time in those years.

The Patriots also had a larger percentage of lower round picks.

On the BB is an egomaniac out to prove he can duplicate 2001 is ridiculous. I doubt there is a coach in the league who looks to avoid and/or deflects the spotlight more than BB. He is a 'players' coach who runs his team with an iron hand, but he NEVER throws a player under the bus. When things are bad, it's HIS fault, and when they are going well, its the PLAYERS doing. This 'it's all about him' thing is really ludicrous. Just media and fans making it up as they go along.

We have thirteen holes to fill (perhaps eight needed starters or desperately needed rotation players and these are not in any order: TE, WR, WR {a#3 and a #4}, DE. OLB, OLB {assuming no AD}, RB, CB {please don't say Wilhite or Wheatley}, P). And we have twelve Draft choices.

One of the things I like about Toys is that although I disagree with him more often than not, he is always detailed in his posts and tries to back up his opinion with facts...or more opinion ;). Once again, we will disagree.

First a couple of general points.

1. Its APRIL, pre-draft and this team is so far from being complete it isn't even funny. Last year when we added TBC, most of us didn't even react. IMO, I thought he was an excellent addition to special teams, and a no risk signing. NO ONE thought he'd turn into a double digit sacker, with one of the best pressure ratios in the league. Hey, it was TBC we were talking about here. Most posters thought he was camp fodder.

My point is that we DON'T know. We don't even have a clue. BB doesn't "know" either, but he has a much better clue than us. Perhaps he sees Edelman having a similar kind of break out year that Welker experienced when he came to the Pats. Maybe he looks at Chung and sees the next Rodney Harrison in development.

2. I'm on board with the lack of an aggressive FA approach in this year. We just signed a bunch of our own long term. And we STILL have Mankins and Brady to deal with.

Its a lot easier to sign Marshall to a huge WR deal when your QB is making around $2MM/yr. Its another thing to sign him when your QB is going to be making $15-20MM. Two teams in completely different situations

Next year the Jets will have to deal with resigning Revis, D'Brick, Mangold, Holmes, Edwards, and Cromartie (just off the top of my head). ALL of those guys are going to want top 5 contracts....and as we know....it can't be done.

The other key point to remember is that everyone knew that this was going to be a VERY thin FA year, with all those guys having an extra year in RFA. ALL those guys are going to be free NEXT year...and because there will be so many coming into UFA, they will be more economical to sign.

The Pats have shown that they will be aggressive in FA and with trades. If you have to think about the team LT, then NEXT year will be a better year to be aggressive, especially after building your core with 2 excellent DEEP drafts (I hope)

If Toys is absolutely correct and we have all these holes to fill, then adding a WR like Boldin or Marshall wouldn't really make that much of a difference to a team with SOOOO many holes, right?

But do we really have all those holes.

TE - He's right on the money here. We definitely need to add a quality TE. This is a good year for TE's There are several to be had starting in round 2, and we will likely have a shot of one of the top 3. OR we mike make a deal for the Denver TE, if we want a guy who is a good receiver.

WR - From what I've read, this is NOT a great draft for WRs, especially at the top end. OTOH there are a lot of guys who look like they could be solid pros that can be had all THROUGH the first 2 rounds and into the 4th (where Brandon Marshall was found btw). I would look at our draft as telling a lot about where BB thinks Edelman and Tate are in their development. If we don't invest a high pick on a WR, then it tells me that both those guys are looking good this season.

OLB - I wouldn't be so fast about thinking that AD is gone. IF, and I mean IF, BB ends up being the de facto DC, then AD might be very happy to stay another year. I am of the opinion that the very nature of how effective ALL offenses have become, defenses are going to HAVE to become more aggressive, more feast or famine like, in their basic philosophies to be effective. If BB agrees with this, then AD could be a very good tool.

CB- YES I WILL say the W words. Wilhite is STILL a CB in progress and like Hobbs before him, might be much better suited to being the nickelback in the slot. Also Wheatley has had his moments when he manages to get on the field. Its is stupid to dismiss them out of hand. Assante Samuel endured the SAME kinds of ridicule in his first 2 years.

RB - I'm sure we'll draft one, but I doubt it will be in the first 2 rounds. Don't forget that the Pats had the 12th best rushing attack in the league last season, DESPITE being a pass first offense. Only 3 of the 11 teams with better running attacks had few attempts per game. So, I'm OK if we go into the season with Moroney, Taylor, and Morris as our top 3 TBs...along with Faulk and some draft pick. Can the running attack be better. SURE, but its not an immediate need THIS year.

DL - I think we will see one of the top 4 picks going to a guy who projects to be a quality starting 3-4 DE in this league. Just like I'm fairly sure that one will be used to get a quality pass rushing OLB/4-3 DE - But Wright isn't a stiff and Pryor showed that he can play, so we DON'T need an immediate starter like some are suggesting.....and there is still the enigma known as Ron Brace still lurking. I'd be interested in hearing about how HIS off season is going. Is he stronger. Is he lighter? Is he even participating? Its been awful quite on the Ron Brace scene, especially since he's a local kid.

And finally don't forget that FA ISN'T over until September. We don't know who will be available in the near and distant future as time goes on. By the time training camp rolls around there will be plenty of veteran "Jabbar Gaffney" types of WR who will be available to fill in there. There will be several run stopping DT and DE around as well.

What there won't be is available pass rushing DL and LBs (unless we make the Haynesworth trade). THAT is a commodity that EVERY team is looking for, so we will just have to be lucky with the draft or a "travis laboy" type FA blossoming. (I hear Vernon Gholston could be had for a song. LOL )

Last edited:

To quote BB: "Stats are for losers."

On the BB is an egomaniac out to prove he can duplicate 2001 is ridiculous. I doubt there is a coach in the league who looks to avoid and/or deflects the spotlight more than BB. He is a 'players' coach who runs his team with an iron hand, but he NEVER throws a player under the bus. When things are bad, it's HIS fault, and when they are going well, its the PLAYERS doing. This 'it's all about him' thing is really ludicrous. Just media and fans making it up as they go along.

One of the things I like about Toys is that although I disagree with him more often than not, he is always detailed in his posts and tries to back up his opinion with facts...or more opinion ;). Once again, we will disagree.

1. Its APRIL, pre-draft and this team is so far from being complete it isn't even funny. Last year when we added TBC, most of us didn't even react. IMO, I thought he was an excellent addition to special teams, and a no risk signing. NO ONE thought he'd turn into a double digit sacker, with one of the best pressure ratios in the league. Hey, it was TBC we were talking about here. Most posters thought he was camp fodder.

My point is that we DON'T know. We don't even have a clue. BB doesn't "know" either, but he has a much better clue than us. Perhaps he sees Edelman having a similar kind of break out year that Welker experienced when he came to the Pats. Maybe he looks at Chung and sees the next Rodney Harrison in development.

2. I'm on board with the lack of an aggressive FA approach in this year. We just signed a bunch of our own long term. And we STILL have Mankins and Brady to deal with.

Its a lot easier to sign Marshall to a huge WR deal when your QB is making around $2MM/yr. Its another thing to sign him when your QB is going to be making $15-20MM. Two teams in completely different situations

Next year the Jets will have to deal with resigning Revis, D'Brick, Mangold, Holmes, Edwards, and Cromartie (just off the top of my head). ALL of those guys are going to want top 5 contracts....and as we know....it can't be done.

The other key point to remember is that everyone knew that this was going to be a VERY thin FA year, with all those guys having an extra year in RFA. ALL those guys are going to be free NEXT year...and because there will be so many coming into UFA, they will be more economical to sign.

The Pats have shown that they will be aggressive in FA and with trades. If you have to think about the team LT, then NEXT year will be a better year to be aggressive, especially after building your core with 2 excellent DEEP drafts (I hope)

If Toys is absolutely correct and we have all these holes to fill, then adding a WR like Boldin or Marshall wouldn't really make that much of a difference to a team with SOOOO many holes, right?

TE - He's right on the money here. We definitely need to add a quality TE. This is a good year for TE's There are several to be had starting in round 2, and we will likely have a shot of one of the top 3. OR we mike make a deal for the Denver TE, if we want a guy who is a good receiver.

WR - From what I've read, this is NOT a great draft for WRs, especially at the top end. OTOH there are a lot of guys who look like they could be solid pros that can be had all THROUGH the first 2 rounds and into the 4th (where Brandon Marshall was found btw). I would look at our draft as telling a lot about where BB thinks Edelman and Tate are in their development. If we don't invest a high pick on a WR, then it tells me that both those guys are looking good this season.

OLB - I wouldn't be so fast about thinking that AD is gone. IF, and I mean IF, BB ends up being the de facto DC, then AD might be very happy to stay another year. I am of the opinion that the very nature of how effective ALL offenses have become, defenses are going to HAVE to become more aggressive, more feast or famine like, in their basic philosophies to be effective. If BB agrees with this, then AD could be a very good tool.

CB- YES I WILL say the W words. Wilhite is STILL a CB in progress and like Hobbs before him, might be much better suited to being the nickelback in the slot. Also Wheatley has had his moments when he manages to get on the field. Its is stupid to dismiss them out of hand. Assante Samuel endured the SAME kinds of ridicule in his first 2 years.

RB - I'm sure we'll draft one, but I doubt it will be in the first 2 rounds. Don't forget that the Pats had the 12th best rushing attack in the league last season, DESPITE being a pass first offense. Only 3 of the 11 teams with better running attacks had few attempts per game. So, I'm OK if we go into the season with Moroney, Taylor, and Morris as our top 3 TBs...along with Faulk and some draft pick. Can the running attack be better. SURE, but its not an immediate need THIS year.

DL - I think we will see one of the top 4 picks going to a guy who projects to be a quality starting 3-4 DE in this league. Just like I'm fairly sure that one will be used to get a quality pass rushing OLB/4-3 DE - But Wright isn't a stiff and Pryor showed that he can play, so we DON'T need an immediate starter like some are suggesting.....and there is still the enigma known as Ron Brace still lurking. I'd be interested in hearing about how HIS off season is going. Is he stronger. Is he lighter? Is he even participating? Its been awful quite on the Ron Brace scene, especially since he's a local kid.

And finally don't forget that FA ISN'T over until September. We don't know who will be available in the near and distant future as time goes on. By the time training camp rolls around there will be plenty of veteran "Jabbar Gaffney" types of WR who will be available to fill in there. There will be several run stopping DT and DE around as well.

What there won't be is available pass rushing DL and LBs (unless we make the Haynesworth trade). THAT is a commodity that EVERY team is looking for, so we will just have to be lucky with the draft or a "travis laboy" type FA blossoming. (I hear Vernon Gholston could be had for a song. LOL )

This is a great post.

Gostk says Hi!

But then the new crop of JETS trolls will come here in spring 2012 saying how the JETS with all their untradeable compensation picks are gonna clean up and build a SuperBowl juggernaught in the draft. You heard it here first.

Great post.

Incredible post, Ken.

Even fat Rexy concedes that BB is still the best coach. Despite a few years of coming up short I don't think there's anything here to prove. BB's approach is the same it's always been - in the best interest of the team for not just this season but for the long term.

Jonathan Kraft seems to think we'll find good value in late free agents (no link, read interview here about a month ago). Every team that signs a big name needs to cut someone, maybe two ($$).

I'm damn happy to see our money spent on proven players in our system, who want to be here.

Let's dump our last can't miss, big name, free agent first, before we worry about more.

Does this mean that the last few seasons Bill has thrown the weigh in. :confused2:

As long as we are throwing out wild speculation, let me go completely off the deep end...

Belichick isn't building for his legacy over the next several years. He is preparing the team for his exit. He will leave after two years (getting the team through the labor situation) when he is 60 yo. He moves to the FO as president of football operations or something like that, where the scouting/contracts departments report directly to him.

So he is keeping the coordinators open for the new coach. The new coach would report to Belichick but would have most of the traditional GM responsibilities. And this new coach would be...

Jon Gruden

Despite being a top candidate, he has effectively taken himself out of the running for any job. Thought I heard last year (can't find a reference though) that he re-signed with ESPN and wouldn't seek a coaching job for 3 years. A rather specific number...almost like he had a job in mind.

Belichick and Gruden have been linked for a while. Both were consider for the Raider job in '98 and showed a lot of respect for each other before the 2001 playoff. Gruden and Belichick have spoken together in Florida and Gruden was an early defender of the 4th-n-2 call.

Try topping that for nutjob theories!!!

As long as we are throwing out wild speculation, let me go completely off the deep end...

Belichick isn't building for his legacy over the next several years. He is preparing the team for his exit. He will leave after two years (getting the team through the labor situation) when he is 60 yo. He moves to the FO as president of football operations or something like that, where the scouting/contracts departments report directly to him.

So he is keeping the coordinators open for the new coach. The new coach would report to Belichick but would have most of the traditional GM responsibilities. And this new coach would be...

Jon Gruden

Despite being a top candidate, he has effectively taken himself out of the running for any job. Thought I heard last year (can't find a reference though) that he re-signed with ESPN and wouldn't seek a coaching job for 3 years. A rather specific number...almost like he had a job in mind.

Belichick and Gruden have been linked for a while. Both were consider for the Raider job in '98 and showed a lot of respect for each other before the 2001 playoff. Gruden and Belichick have spoken together in Florida and Gruden was an early defender of the 4th-n-2 call.

Try topping that for nutjob theories!!!

I cannot. Game. Set. Match.

Good one.

Last edited:

OK Fair response. I don't agree with all of it but most of what you said makes sense. Good post.

If we pick up a Laboy or even Haynesworth now that his salary is in the ball park and a ready to play TE like Olsen who has been mentioned with us, and a WR like a Santana Moss or a Steve Smith if they can be had and IMO they can be, as long as we aren't pushed to the wall to Draft by Need first which is a bad thing with so many holes.
DW Toys

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes