PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Behind the scenes of Rams Draft room this is how a successful front office looks.

Strange of you to mention that.

They'll always have a soft spot in my heart for that video, same as Phatt Matt & Sean Payton for wearing Stokoe the Clown tee shirts.

Last edited:
If you want to buy that BS they're selling, be my guest.
None of us have any information about what was actually going on there. None. Zilch. Zero. Then the Rams explained themselves. You'd have to be working pretty hard to assume the opposite of the only information you actually have.

Honestly, I think the other thing that irks people about that pick wasn't just the pick itself, but the point of when it came. I'm not one to try and think all that logically either at 11:30pm or whatever it was ... I was kind of like everyone else in terms of, "I stayed up this late for this...?" :mad:

And my take on this isn't new. This was from the day after when I did some digging to try and remember how things unfolded:

"The thought process might have been that Belichick and New England may have had another player in mind who came off the board following their trade back from 21 to 29. There was a significant run on highly-touted defensive players from that point, with Quay Walker, Kaiir Elam, Jermaine Johnson II, Devin Lloyd and Devonte Wyatt each coming off the board following multiple trade-ups by the Packers, Bills, Jets and Jaguars respectively, after they each jumped back up into the fray."

"That could have potentially changed the Patriots’ plans, causing them to switch gears and turn their attention elsewhere."

"It’s entirely possible that Belichick viewed the 29th overall pick the same way he does an early second-round selection, which could have been his mindset. Strange’s stock had been rising, which could have ended seeing someone else taking him off the board early tomorrow. With that being the case, the key factor was likely making absolutely sure he got a player he believed could start and get the job done, which is where Strange fits the bill."

---
He ended up becoming a starter, albeit the knee injury he suffered in camp was a killer. He played through it all year, despite the fact Curran reported back in September that he needed surgery but was opting to just deal with it. Obviously, he eventually got hurt enough where he couldn't continue.

But he had a good rookie year and they were noticeably better running the ball when he was on the field vs when he wasn't. With David Andrews possibly coming to the end (it sounds like 2024 might be his last season), he may end up being a factor there after next season also.

McVay has drafted a lot of duds. Looking at his drafts since 2017, it’s pretty bad. All he’s got is Cupp, Nacua and two decent DL who are no longer on the team. The roster he inherited is deteriorating.

And they had no business making the playoffs this season. If the 9ers had something to play for, they would've taken them out.

Last edited:
McVay has drafted a lot of duds. Looking at his drafts since 2017, it’s pretty bad. All he’s got is Cupp, Nacua and two decent DL who are no longer on the team. The roster he inherited is deteriorating.

And they had no business making the playoffs this season. If the 9ers had something to play for, they wouldn’t taken them out.
Forgot about the pro bowl RB.

This has been explained by the people in the Rams draft room. They were expressing surprise because they were planning on drafting him themselves, having a high rating on him like the Pats but expecting him to still be available in a couple of rounds. In a way, the Pats' drafting of him validated their high rating.
That had him rated as a 3rd round or higher pick, not a 1st rounder. They backtracked a little later on when they drew some heat for mocking another team/coach

It also came out that Strange was someone several other teams were reportedly considering in round two. People forget the Patriots took him at #29, not #19. They got jumped and lost the guy they wanted, so rather than trade back a few spots and risk losing him, they opted to treat that pick like an early round two pick, with the benefit of avoiding a Mankins-esque situation by also having a fifth-year option. He wasn't their first choice at that spot.
He is not and was not deserving of that pick. The next guard taken (by Tampa) is now their starting R Tackle. Nice to have one of those now.

None of us have any information about what was actually going on there. None. Zilch. Zero. Then the Rams explained themselves. You'd have to be working pretty hard to assume the opposite of the only information you actually have.
They showed their live reaction to the pick. They looked shocked and laughed at it. It was open and obvious. Unless you’re incapable of reading human reactions this one was pretty easy. It was also pretty disrespectful so of course they backtracked.

He is not and was not deserving of that pick. The next guard taken (by Tampa) is now their starting R Tackle. Nice to have one of those now.
Just like I asked captain, would you have hated him as a second round pick?

The killer in that draft, which obviously complicates this, is the fact they created the need/urgency due to the move they made that required Strange's selection to begin with. I think that's the bigger problem that I had with it. Not the mindset for why they decided to take him based on what transpired leading up to it, and the fact trading back at that point (since they were already at the end of the round) was risky and could have prevented them from getting him. If they wanted him in round two, it made sense since it also ensured if it panned out, they'd have the extra year to keep him.

Last edited:
Just like I asked captain, would you have hated him as a second round pick
Pretty much yes. First, the entire need to draft a guard was really frustrating because they failed to sign Karras and then turned around and traded Mason. I hated that. Instead of trying to improve the team they let productive vets go to draft an older small school guards. I would have far preferred that they draft Christian Watson with that pick and a guard later and if Strange was gone by the time their next pick came around they could have drafted any other guard. That is, no other guards were drafted until after the Pats second round pick. So yes, Watson is no all pro but is far better that Thornton. I wanted WR first and guard second and think I posted exactly that on this board shortly after that draft

Reactions: Ian
Pretty much yes. First, the entire need to draft a guard was really frustrating because they failed to sign Karras and then turned around and traded Mason. I hated that.
This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

Dynasty started with Drew beating the Steelers. Maybe no dynasty without Drew B :oops:

Go look at the play by play of that game. The drive he entered the game on he had the Patton TD. And then he SUCKED but the Steelers QB was worse. Brady had being playing way better prior to the injury.

Go look at the play by play of that game. The drive he entered the game on he had the Patton TD. And then he SUCKED but the Steelers QB was worse. Brady had being playing way better prior to the injury.

Drew did have that one good 40 yard drive and after that it was hold on, when's he going to **** it up.

The MVP of the 2001 AFCCG was TB imo. Troy Brown.

Sciz always here to bring things back to reality with facts.

Now show BTS of all their other picks the last 3 drafts.
You know their 2023 draft class was pretty much a home run?

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back