PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard: Patriots teammates "didn't trust" Stidham

Lemme dig up that post in the regular season where I said if anything, they were putting Cam out there because Stid wasn't looking like he could lead them through difficult times.

Stidham’s new career after September? Lol

And who took a HUGE leap at QB in Y3? Yup, the one and only, Josh Allen. I see where you are going with this. And I thought you had a negative obsession with Stid, when all along you are hoping Stid will break out in Y3. Silly me.

And who took a HUGE leap at QB in Y3? Yup, the one and only, Josh Allen. I see where you are going with this. And I thought you had a negative obsession with Stid, when all along you are hoping Stid will break out in Y3. Silly me.
The difference is Josh Allen didn't enter camp in his second year as starter and then in a few weeks lose his job to Matt Barkley and Jake Fromm.

Allen is going to be a pain in the AFC East for a while. The Bills would be really happy at the prospect of facing Stidham if he was starter. Who wouldn't be?

Last edited:
1614130679609.gif

You haven't been paying attention. There's a few that believed he was the 2nd coming. I'm not about to embarass them though.
You first said "crowd." You now say "a few." I don't recall reading the posts from these few, but I'll accept your assertion that they are out there. Most who were calling for Stidham to start the last two or three games were tired of watching Newton attempt to play quarterback and were hoping that anyone, even Stidham, might be an improvement.

Last edited:
You first said "crowd." You now say "a few." I don't recall reading the posts from these few, but I'll accept your assertion that they are out there. Most who were calling for Stidham to start the last two or three games were tired of watching Newton attempt to play quarterback and were hoping that anyone, even Stidham, might be an improvement.
I'd like to see how many of these few were actually serious too

I'd like to see how many of these few were actually serious too
I was just looking at mechanics Stidham could actually throw a nice ball problem was what everyone said his issue has always been making bad decisions and unraveling when he faces pressure.
If this can ever be fixed he could turn into a good QB.
Without that he is a liability.
Now BBs biggest rule is don’t turn the ball over protecting the ball.
You have to look at QBs who did just that.
So Mariota, Jimmy G, Tru I think are are the 3 Vet QBs he is looking at.
As far as Rookies ball security has to start with Lance.
I know he didn’t face top competition but that hasn’t stopped BB from drafting before.
I’d feel pretty good with Mariota and Lance.
Would feel amazing if we did a godfather trade and trade up for Zach Wilson.

There were definitely a few touting for Stidham (not as many before Brady actually left, but there were some then too). But the prevalence of that "movement" is bolstered by an availability bias. You remember them because they stand out, not because it was a large number of people taking over the board. The VAST majority of posters wanted Brady to stay (myself included). Once he was gone, there was a bit of an... we'll call it an "Adjustment Period", where we all needed to cope in our own ways. Some people got angry at Bill, some at Brady. Some people delved deep into their doom and gloom, others looked for reasons to feel hopeful. The latter sometimes turned into latching on to small positives they could find on Stidham and running with them. But again, there was not a significant group of posters who thought he was the next great starter on this team.

It would be like saying most of the board had given up on the team in 2014 just because one guy made the "I don't care, I can't stand it!" thread. That thread is memorable, but it was a fringe poster who snapped, not a pervasive opinion on this board.

If this "report" were true there is no way Bill has Stid come in for Newton as much as he did. Feels like Bedard is just carrying Bill's water here because he refused to bench Cam when he was playing putrid.

BSJ needs clicks to pay Bedard's mortgage. This "report" generated clicks and a thread on Patsfans. It does not matter if the report was exaggerated, it was successful creating lots of clicks. Cha Ching. Cha Ching.

Is the report true? Now that is a different question. Highly unlikely.

If this "report" were true there is no way Bill has Stid come in for Newton as much as he did. Feels like Bedard is just carrying Bill's water here because he refused to bench Cam when he was playing putrid.

Look at the reaction from the Pats sideline. And yet Hoyer still came back to play the entire third quarter. Tells me everything I need to know about what they think of Stid. I'm ok that they didn't bench Cam. He was still better than his backups.

I was just looking at mechanics Stidham could actually throw a nice ball problem was what everyone said his issue has always been making bad decisions and unraveling when he faces pressure.
If this can ever be fixed he could turn into a good QB.
Without that he is a liability.
Now BBs biggest rule is don’t turn the ball over protecting the ball.
You have to look at QBs who did just that.
So Mariota, Jimmy G, Tru I think are are the 3 Vet QBs he is looking at.
As far as Rookies ball security has to start with Lance.
I know he didn’t face top competition but that hasn’t stopped BB from drafting before.
I’d feel pretty good with Mariota and Lance.
Would feel amazing if we did a godfather trade and trade up for Zach Wilson.
There are lots of QBs who weren't good enough to stick in the NFL who can throw a nice ball but fold under pressure.

It's not an easily fixable flaw and Stid is now approaching 25 years old. At that age and no progression it's almost time to put the "failed" label in front of "prospect".

Last edited:
There are lots of QBs who weren't good enough to stick in league who can throw a nice ball but fold under pressure.

It's not an easily fixable flaw and Stid is now approaching 25 years old. At that age and no progression it's almost time to put the "failed" label in front of "prospect".
I would think this would be more a sports psychiatrists work not as much as a coach or am I off base with this?

But he looked great on the Zoomfield! :D

There are lots of QBs who weren't good enough to stick in the NFL who can throw a nice ball but fold under pressure.

You don't understand man, this is all a ruse. Belichick kept Stidham off the field on purpose to protect his development and sensitive psyche.

Now in his 3rd year, Bill will unleash the Kraken taking the entire NFL by surprise. He'll again not draft a QB and will bring back Cam but this time to be Stid's back-up. With all the cap $$ he'll reload with talent and go 12-4 to win the Division. Book it.

Look at the reaction from the Pats sideline. And yet Hoyer still came back to play the entire third quarter. Tells me everything I need to know about what they think of Stid. I'm ok that they didn't bench Cam. He was still better than his backups.

I can buy him not being good enough for the position but the idea that the team would become a complete debacle if he started is absurd. If that was true on any level he does not come in relief of Cam during multiple games.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back