PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard : Its superbowl or bust for BB after Collins trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
If BB missed the boat with Patrick Chung on the first pass, the only reason he got a second shot was the fact that Philly also made the same mistake.

The bottom line is the only thing that we can expect is that all decisions are well thought out and the vast majority of those decisions are correct. There is too much variability during live play to assess a coach on a decision by decision basis. If any of the plays listed previously had gone differently we would use them as examples of his genius.

Last edited:
I wonder how many posters here actually read the article. It's perfectly reasonable and the same thoughts have crossed the mind of EVERY Pats fan since BB traded Collins - Wow, is this really the best thing for the team right now?

And the SB or bust thing is exactly right too. Because if BB wins the SB then he, and we, can say he did it the right way. Not win it and there isn't a sane Pats fan who won't scratch their head and say, I wonder if Collins would have helped after all.

The knee jerk vitriol for "mediots," and writers in general is just that - a reflex that doesn't include thought, so you may want to disregard such responses when they appear.

How is this not one of the biggest possible personnel blunders that ever happened in the BB era ? Not sure what else you want..

Can't think of any obvious mistakes from the top of my head. Most of the stuff that is being criticized is pretty reasonable and while I might personally disagree with it I usually see the logic behind it and see no reason to point the finger.
Interesting comment that you "can't think of any obvious mistakes". Doesn't that tell you something?

This trade's media/fan firestorm is NOTHING near the level of firestorm we had in 2003 when Belichick cut Milloy straight up the week before the season. Compound that with a 31-0 loss to Bledsoe and the Bills.

How'd that end up working out?

Seems like you have reading comprehension issues. I said i cant even remember specific plays from anything that is more than a season away because my memory is simply not the best. Of course you took it to mean that I cant think of any bad call.

If you really are interested in a discussion then humor me and give me one of those decisions/plays that you consider blunders and lets talk about it.
I didn’t “take it to mean” you can’t think of any bad call, you said you can’t think of any bad call.

The point here is not to give you examples of game management and personnel decisions and have you explain why you agree with them. But it’s easy to cite examples, @Chiuba E. Obele came up with several from just last year: the pooch kick against the Eagles and the game planning against the Dolphins. Want to go back further? Benching Seymour for attending his grandmother’s funeral and missing a practice. All mistakes.

But again, the point here is not to have you laboriously go through and say why you think they were all the right calls. They of course can all be discussed—some may feel that kicking that way against Philly was a terrific idea, for example. I think that’s a bonkers position to take, but fine. The point is you can’t think of ANY mistakes Belichick has made in game management or personnel. You say maybe examples exist, but you just can’t remember them. OK. Pay attention going forward and chime in when you disagree with something. Until then, I’ll assume if Belichick does it, you agree it’s the right thing to do.

I didn’t “take it to mean” you can’t think of any bad call, you said you can’t think of any bad call.

The point here is not to give you examples of game management and personnel decisions and have you explain why you agree with them. But it’s easy to cite examples, @Chiuba E. Obele came up with several from just last year: the pooch kick against the Eagles and the game planning against the Dolphins. Want to go back further? Benching Seymour for attending his grandmother’s funeral and missing a practice. All mistakes.

But again, the point here is not to have you laboriously go through and say why you think they were all the right calls. They of course can all be discussed—some may feel that kicking that way against Philly was a terrific idea, for example. I think that’s a bonkers position to take, but fine. The point is you can’t think of ANY mistakes Belichick has made in game management or personnel. You say maybe examples exist, but you just can’t remember them. OK. Pay attention going forward and chime in when you disagree with something. Until then, I’ll assume if Belichick does it, you agree it’s the right thing to do.

Another questionable in-game decision would be Belichick's decision to not kick a FG in Super Bowl 42.

I'm not trying to **** on Belichick. He's the GOAT. I just don't want us to pretend he's NEVER made a bad decision as a HC or GM

Let me rephrase. Share a personnel or game management mistake or 2 that Belichick has made.

End of the first half vs Seahawks. About 6 seconds left. You instruct your players to commit fouls on the offense to prevent the TD, and force SEA to either go for it at the 1 yard line or kick the FG. I'm guessing they would have kicked the FG since I saw a sideline conversation between Wilson and Carroll, and Carroll already wanted to kick with 6 seconds left.

He also did that in one the Manning Colts games, maybe 2010? End of the half with almost no time left. Just grab the receiver and tackle him, don't give up the TD. But they allowed the TD.

If BB missed the boat with Patrick Chung on the first pass, the only reason he got a second shot was the fact that Philly also made the same mistake.

The bottom line is the only thing that we can expect is that all decisions are well thought out and the vast majority of those decisions are correct. There is too much variability during live play to assess a coach on a decision by decision basis. If any of the plays listed previously had gone differently we would use them as examples of his genius.

I agree with you, the only difference here is that we all know that JC is a top 8 LB, Chung was considered a JAG... So i really think its about character and stuff like that...

The BB as "demigod" quip was unnecessarily snarky.

On BB letting guys like Collins and Jones go: when you don't have a team-centric disciplined approach to your role ("do your job"), regardless of how talented you might be, BB has no use for you. If a player is allowed to free-lance and other players see him getting away with it, they figure they can do the same. Before you know it they're tuning out the coaches and everything is up for grabs. BB might be the only NFL head coach with the control to run things the way he sees fit when it comes to otherwise "indispensable" players.

Last edited:
for the brave souls

Another questionable in-game decision would be Belichick's decision to not kick a FG in Super Bowl 42.

I'm not trying to **** on Belichick. He's the GOAT. I just don't want us to pretend he's NEVER made a bad decision as a HC or GM
And he knows that better than anyone. But his biggest strength is to not let one decision effect another , be it player managment or in game decisions. He knows some will work and some wont .Its the media and others who think that BB is too arrogant to accept his mistakes.He does what HE thinks is right.

for the brave souls

NFW I'm wasting 10 minutes of my life reading that.

But thanks for putting it out there. :)

Reminds me of what Big Sey said: the wind blows hardest at the top. The Idiot Wind, in this case.

I agree with you, the only difference here is that we all know that JC is a top 8 LB, Chung was considered a JAG... So i really think its about character and stuff like that...

Totally agreed. I think this reflects a change after snow gate. There have been plenty of players kept on through the last year of their contracts, even if they were not going to be resigned. My guess is that Adaleus Thomas would not have remained on the team as long if BB had the chance to do it over again. When Moss became more of a distraction than a positive, he was out.

End of the first half vs Seahawks. About 6 seconds left. You instruct your players to commit fouls on the offense to prevent the TD, and force SEA to either go for it at the 1 yard line or kick the FG. I'm guessing they would have kicked the FG since I saw a sideline conversation between Wilson and Carroll, and Carroll already wanted to kick with 6 seconds left.

He also did that in one the Manning Colts games, maybe 2010? End of the half with almost no time left. Just grab the receiver and tackle him, don't give up the TD. But they allowed the TD.
Agree that was poor play, but I'd say that goes on the player (think that was Ryan against Seattle?)

I seriously doubt BB has to worry about anyone questioning his decision making, nor his job security here for that matter, should the Pats not win the SB this year.

While talking about the Jones trade he told how Cooper didn't work out but completely failed to mention that we turned the 2nd round pick we received (the most important part of the trade) to Thuney and Mitchell. Nice journalism.

I hope these two trades do not end up like the Branch trade.Yeah we got some picks and did not overpay but ultimately I believe that cost us the Superbowl that season, and we did not win another one till 2014.

Odds of getting a good player with a conditional 3rd are not good and even if we do I'm still not sure it's worth it.This year we know for a fact we are likely the best team, so why are we lessening our chances of success for something highly speculative.

There was nothing wrong with maximizing our chances this year by letting the Jones and Collins contracts draw down this year, and letting both players walk at the end.Bill is obviously great but this time he has the balance between present and future skewed.

While talking about the Jones trade he told how Cooper didn't work out but completely failed to mention that we turned the 2nd round pick we received (the most important part of the trade) to Thuney and Mitchell. Nice journalism.

We could have still got those two players without the trade they were late draft picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back