PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard : Its superbowl or bust for BB after Collins trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Belichick must come through after trading Collins

There were small rumblings of discontent last year after a series of questionable moves (poor coaching in New England’s Week 13 loss to Philadelphia) cost the Patriots home-field advantage in the playoffs, which likely helped swing the AFC Championship Game in favor of the Broncos. But if New England again fails to win the Lombardi Trophy this season, even the most ardent “In Bill We Trust” droids will question the recent defensive moves made by Patriots coach/demigod Bill Belichick, leading to thoughts that were once considered heresy: has the 64-year-old Hall-of-Famer-in-waiting started to lose his touch?

Last season, the Patriots lost two games down the stretch to teams that hired new coaches in the off-season (Eagles and Dolphins), and it cost them home-field advantage in the playoffs. Each game featured some dubious coaching decisions (mortar kick against the Eagles, and running or throwing to only the running backs on their first 19 plays in a loss to Miami in the final game) that cost them a possible shot at the Super Bowl. If the AFC Championship Game was at Gillette Stadium instead of Mile High, the Patriots likely don’t lose 20–18 to the Broncos.
Belichick was largely given a pass for those decisions because he’s more than earned it, but if the Patriots fail to win the Super Bowl this season after Jones and Collins trades, the criticism will be real and unrelenting. New England regularly preaches about their financial discipline, the importance of depth and how no one is above the team.

The Patriots and Belichick may indeed be right again. New England is the most complete team in the AFC, and is the odds-on favorite to win another Super Bowl title. But if the team fails to deliver, New England will be talking about the Jones and Collins deals for years to come and, for the first time in a long time, questioning whether Belichick still makes all the right moves.
Seriously ? Bedard was the guy who said collins was not as good as people made out to be ,at the beginning of the season and now says BB has lost it with this ?
I dont like this trade esp what they got back, but it seems more and more like a discipline move.

I cannot stand Bedard.

Ok. Let BB give $15m / yr to a player wacked out on drugs and always disappears during the middle of the season.

Additionally, let's keep a player who they team has lost confidence in executing the defensive game plan and wants to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL.

Idiot.

Fortunately this man's line of work doesn't care about the concept of accountability ..

Come on now!!! You know these writers want to roast bill at any opportunity. I will say that this team need's home field advantage more then ever to try and get to the big game.

Superbowl is really hard to get to and win. Lots of factors play into it. Could Collins be the difference? Possibly, but who the he'll knows.

Belichick is the best coach in the league.

I am not sure what there is to disagree with.

Bill traded one of his perceived most talented players for a draft pick. He did this when the team was boasting the best record in football. Bill is saying that the team is better off without the player. If they don't win the Super Bowl, the question will be, does bill really know best.

It is a fair question, and one that BB has been comfortable answering for 16 years. The thing that isn't touched on, is that it's always Super Bowl or bust in New England, and this trade doesn't change that in BBs mind. It just confirms it in others.

Coaching staff did blow it last season though, I doubt it'll happen again this year.

Belichick must come through after trading Collins

Seriously ? Bedard was the guy who said collins was not as good as people made out to be ,at the beginning of the season and now says BB has lost it with this ?
I dont like this trade esp what they got back, but it seems more and more like a discipline move.
I agree with him. Pats need to win Super Bowl this year. Not because he traded Collins, though I think he should of waited unless there were some character issues. Pats need HFA and the second Lombardi in three years, and then start building on this current 2 out of three for Brady's final multi year run.

Additionally, let's keep a player who they team has lost confidence in executing the defensive game plan and wants to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL.

Idiot.
Come on now....we go from talking about how to possibly keep Collins (and HT and Butler) to "Idiot" for questioning dumping him midseason for a third round conditional pick?

Is it tuesday his weekly appearance on the clowns show? Tomorrow is a can't miss

Squeaky, the Douche, and Greg ******. That's must see radio.

I cannot stand Bedard.

Ok. Let BB give $15m / yr to a player wacked out on drugs and always disappears during the middle of the season.

Idiot.

Dan Koppen had an interesting thought about Collins' money: He thinks he is ill advised by his manager in thinking he can get that kind of money since that kind of money is not available on the LB market. Even if he gets top LB money it will be far from Von Miller's .. but ironically close to Pats offer if its true they offered him 11M/y. He would be better off if he had our Miguel for an agent.

Look at Kuechly's contract. And he is a much better all-round player than Collins.

Bottom line: its not about his value at all (otherwise BB would definitely keep him until the end of the season) its about his mind not being on the field. So he sent him towards where his mind is ..

Last edited:
I agree with him. Pats need to win Super Bowl this year. Not because he traded Collins, though I think he should of waited unless there were some character issues. Pats need HFA and the second Lombardi in three years, and then start building on this current 2 out of three for Brady's final multi year run.
And if they dont win, should BB step down ? Its so hard to get to the superbowl let alone win it .

Lol its always Superbowl or bust for us fans and the entire New England organization

Bedard's rhetoric unfortunately plays in to the local fans rhetoric who think pats winning SB is their birth right and no other team can or will offer opposition

Yea, cuz ya know, it's soooo easy to get to the SB. That crap makes me laugh, "The Pats suck because they haven't won a SB in 11 yrs. ... Uh, you know before the last one. o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots