PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB's timeout calling late game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked the decision better after I saw that Catanzaro was 1-4 on kicks beyond 45 yards. With a better kicker/FG unit, my guess is that BB calls an immediate timeout.

Listening to the explanation of the no TO call during the SB they mention and show BB staring across the field analysing the situation.

Last night Collinsworth questions whether or not they should call a TO and show BB staring across the field analysing the situation.

BB is thinking more than how much time is left on the clock.

4th and a lot in the Super Bowl, when the FG was within Gost's range?

Gost was not yet Gost when that decision was made. I assure you that Gost hitting a 48 yd FG in the SB at that stage in his career was just as iffy as Brady/Moss/Welker coming through on a 4th and 13.

Gost was not yet Gost when that decision was made. I assure you that Gost hitting a 48 yd FG in the SB at that stage in his career was just as iffy as Brady/Moss/Welker coming through on a 4th and 13.

I don't agree.

Even if the probability of him making it was 50% or so, that was a lot higher than the chance of getting the first down.

he ended up calling the 2 time outs, but after the clock ran down...If the FG was made, 41 seconds was not enough time.

That's my point. I admit I was wrong about the Seattle thing. If we still had all of our timeouts or even Brady it's a different story but even though it worked out I still disagree.

Listening to the explanation of the no TO call during the SB they mention and show BB staring across the field analysing the situation.

Last night Collinsworth questions whether or not they should call a TO and show BB staring across the field analysing the situation.

Yeah, people sometimes suggest Belichick is just straight number crunching (or more accurately, Ernie is just straight number crunching) in these situations, but I don't think that's accurate. It's a mental game at that point, and if the other team is scrambling and unsure of what to do, there's no need to bail them out with a TO. Let them panic a bit and get hurried and stuck in their heads.

One of my favorite memories of the Super Bowl was during the no time out call with BB calmly analyzing the situation like a chess master while all hell was breaking loose, particularly on the Seahawks sideline. In my opinion, it was his defining moment, I'll never forget it.

Before the 3rd down play Arizona probably figured they were going to go for it on 4th down, as they likely didn't expect to gain that much yardage on 3rd down (frankly I don't know why ALL the safeties were lined up 20 yards deep on that play), so they started running up to the LOS and then realized they were in FG range and the sideline waved them off the field to run the FG unit on. That is what BB saw and when it looked like they were organized he called the TO.

I don't agree.

Even if the probability of him making it was 50% or so, that was a lot higher than the chance of getting the first down.

Why do you presume your arbitrary weighing of the probabilities is superior to BB's?

You should also list all the big time kicks Gost had hit in his career up to that point.

I can promise that the list of big time conversions on 3rd and 4th and long converted by Brady is a far, far longer list.

Last edited:
Why do you presume your arbitrary weighing of the probabilities is superior to BB's?

I don't presume that.

Rather, I presume that if BB thought Gost was a choker, there would have been a different kicker on the team.

I don't presume that.

Rather, I presume that if BB thought Gost was a choker, there would have been a different kicker on the team.

Like all young players, Gost was unproven, not a proven choker. Not surprisingly, BB put faith in the proven guys to make a huge play in a tough spot over the unproven guy.

Bonus fact: Gost's long on the year was 45 yards. And you want him to kick a 48 yarder in the critical moment of a Super Bowl? Or would you rather let the greatest offense of all time try to complete a medium pass?

Last edited:
Bonus fact: Gost's long on the year was 45 yards. And you want him to kick a 48 yarder in the critical moment of a Super Bowl? Or would you rather let the greatest offense of all time try to complete a medium pass?

Really? Because Belichick had no problem letting rookie Ghostkowski hit a 50 yarder in the 2006 playoffs @ SD.

Also, there's no way that a 4th and 13 is a "medium" pass.

Really? Because Belichick had no problem letting rookie Ghostkowski hit a 50 yarder in the 2006 playoffs @ SD.

Yes, and the SD game was outside whereas SB 42 was in a dome. That remains a true head-scratcher.

The fact i gave was just that. Different facts call for different decisions. The kick against SD was in the first few minutes of a 0-0 game and the Patriots had a forgettable offensive unit. Also, Gost had a hit a 52 yarder earlier that year. Late in the third quarter of the most impossibly pressure packed game in NFL history (from pats perspective), asking Gost to hit a kick from 4 yards deeper than his year long, with an all time great offense available, is just a different situation. Also, there is the score to consider. If the score was 10-3 and a FG puts you up two scores, maybe BB goes the other way. As it was, the FG would have kept it a 1 score game even if he hit it.

Duly noted that you, having very little knowledge of the players involved or other relevant facts as compared to Belichick, would have made a different decision.

Yes, most people would characterize 5-15 yards a "medium" length pass.

Yes, and the SD game was outside whereas SB 42 was in a dome. That remains a true head-scratcher.

You are perplexed by completely different facts driving completely different decisions?

Like all young players, Gost was unproven, not a proven choker. Not surprisingly, BB put faith in the proven guys to make a huge play in a tough spot over the unproven guy.

Yes.

Its not like 48 was out of Gost's range and with the way that game was going and Brady getting killed points were at a premium. A 3 there puts them up by 7.

There is nothing wrong that the red dye from BB's hoodie seeped into his pours.

Yes.

Its not like 48 was out of Gost's range and with the way that game was going and Brady getting killed points were at a premium. A 3 there puts them up by 7.

There is nothing wrong that the red dye from BB's hoodie seeped into his pours.

Points were at a premium, so why not try to win the game if it is between two long shots? You know if you can get those guys blocked for a few seconds you can hurt them downfield. It happened in week 17. They came close several times in SB 42. It just wasn't to be. Gost was an unproven player at that time. There was no reason to be confident in him in that spot. People are conflating the Gost of the last few years with the subpar, skittish guy of 2006-2007.

Points were at a premium, so why not try to win the game if it is between two long shots? You know if you can get those guys blocked for a few seconds you can hurt them downfield. It happened in week 17. They came close several times in SB 42. It just wasn't to be. Gost was an unproven player at that time. There was no reason to be confident in him in that spot. People are conflating the Gost of the last few years with the subpar, skittish guy of 2006-2007.

You make it sound like Gost was Scott Sisson. Gost was plenty proven. He was 3-5 beyond 40 and ok the year prior. He made clutch playoff kicks before.

Worse case the ball is marked at the 38. So what.

BB was possessed by the ghost of Mike Martz and Grady Little..

He should have kicked it.

You make it sound like Gost was Scott Sisson. Gost was plenty proven. He was 3-5 beyond 40 and ok the year prior. He made clutch playoff kicks before.

Worse case the ball is marked at the 38. So what.

BB was possessed by the ghost of Mike Martz and Grady Little..

He should have kicked it.

"Plenty proven"? A 75% kicker in 2006 and a guy with a long of 45 in 2007? I'll take my chances with Brady, thanks. Ridiculous how you think there is a "right" decision in this circumstance. Even more ridiculous, that you, and not Belichick, had access to the information that proves your decision to be the "right" one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe