PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB's timeout calling late game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course Troy would say that. I'd argue that they needed each other for this unprecedented success. Brady would still have been an amazing QB, Belichick still would have been an outstanding coach but w/o each other I don't think we're talking today about the GOAT QB & GOAT Coach.

I hate the whole "who is more responsible" debate.
Who is Troy? Inside the NFL is Jim Brown, Phil Syms, Boomer Esieson and the guy from the Cowboys

Who is Troy? Inside the NFL is Jim Brown, Phil Syms, Boomer Esieson and the guy from the Cowboys
Ahh gotcha for some reason I thought you meant Troy Brown. But same point.

Ahh gotcha for some reason I thought you meant Troy Brown. But the point I make stands
They made good points. Namely that Belichick is the one that builds the team and has created the culture. Neither Kraft nor Brady built their culture of hard work & success

Brady just plays and executes. But they all said Brady is the greatest QB in NFL history. So they didn't slight him.

Actually I think it was the long snapper. IIRC the snap came in a little off target (low and flat?), which made it more difficult for the holder to get it placed properly in time.

I'm wondering if Collins attempted vault earlier in the game got into the center's head a little bit too, as a distraction when the pressure was already high. That was another one of lots of factors stressing the Cards, including time, and they failed to execute in the moment.

Great point.

I love Belichick and think he's the greatest coach of all time, but I think this is one of those times in which people try to give him too much credit. We took a timeout before the kick (later than I would have liked, but that's not the point) and the kicker could be seen during the timeout going through his motions just like any other kick. It was a bad snap and he flat out missed it. It was poor execution by the Cardinals and NOT Belichick's Jedi mind tricks (with his time out usage) that won the game.

I'd be willing to buy your Jamie Collins theory as more of a plausible reason for the miss than the delayed use of a timeout so good point by you.

Then after they were on the field and not worried about getting set in time they wanted to milk the clock by slowing the pace. That was when he called the time out, took control of the clock out of their hands and gave them a chance to think about how the Pats might try to block the attempt, Collins' vaulting ability, a whole lot of things on top of the physiological stress from rushing onto the field.

if the long snapper really thought that Collins might try to block the FG in that situation, then he needs to brush up on his situational awareness.

the Patriots would have never tried to block that FG attempt with a leaping Collins because the downside of failure by landing on top of the long snapper would be a 15-yard penalty and an automatic first down. the cardinals would then have been able to burn the rest of the clock or take a few shots at the end zone, and at the very least attempt a chip-shot 32-yard FG.

no need for a risky block attempt when you're already leading and the kicker is iffy at that distance.

if the long snapper really thought that Collins might try to block the FG in that situation, then he needs to brush up on his situational awareness.

the Patriots would have never tried to block that FG attempt with a leaping Collins because the downside of failure by landing on top of the long snapper would be a 15-yard penalty and an automatic first down. the cardinals would then have been able to burn the rest of the clock or take a few shots at the end zone, and at the very least attempt a chip-shot 32-yard FG.

no need for a risky block attempt when you're already leading and the kicker is iffy at that distance.

Good counter argument. I'm sold.

Matt Chat and a former long snapper on Twitter are both saying the snap was good enough. Hold was awful.
Arians says otherwise.

“The kid’s been doing great,” Arians said. “He didn’t bounce it back there. It was just about two inches too low. We still should make the kick. It’s not like he hit it on the ground. The kid’s been really good.

“We’re going to stick with him. He’s going to be a good player in the future.”

Arians said “there’s no doubt” that a good snap would’ve likely led to a made 47-yard field goal by kicker Chandler Catanzaro.

“It’s the game of inches,” Arians said. “[If] that one was about two inches higher and it’s a game winner.”

Bruce Arians: Cardinals sticking with rookie long-snapper Kameron Canaday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents