PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB's Draft Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
One of Bill's yearly pleasures is working out top Draft prospects he cannot pick. (usually the pleasure is mutual). So he picks their brain a little bit for the next time they meet on opposite sides or “drafting“ them a few years down the road in FA.

Here he took over the workout of top 3 player and by far best rusher/DE of this year's Draft - Bradley Chubb - urging him to do it better/right. And the overwhelmed kid injured his finger on this drill. Id bet Colts (the likely landing spot) are looking at this vid closely. The old IND FO would be filing grievances to Ommissioner as we speak..

Addendum (via Tony):

Last edited:
At the end of it you can here BB telling Chubb, "Yeah well we're picking 31st" hahaha

Trade up and get the beast

Trade up and get the beast

I'd love to. He's perfect for our defense. But most likely he goes top 5 or top 10. Just for kicks, let's look at the cost. I don't think all of our 2018 draft picks would get us to 5, actually. The cumulative total point value (by the old trade chart) is about 1,531, or roughly the value of the 7th overall pick. Not likely to happen. :)

tumblr_lojdmy3wS51qb87bqo1_500.gif

This is one of the reasons Belichick is the best.

Realistically, there's 0% chance we draft this kid. It's not like with Wilfork or Brown tumbling and you can't believe your luck. I mean there's 0% chance. This kid could kill someone and still go in the top 10.

But here is Belichick working the kid out, asking him to try something new, seeing how he adapts to a different technique, just trying to understand the kid. Maybe he'll face him soon. Maybe he will try to trade for him later. Maybe he'll be interested if he becomes a free agent. And maybe he'll never get to coach him. But he's doing the ground work, he's testing the kid, he's learning more about him.

Most coaches and FO wouldn't bother with someone they have no chance at drafting. They play the short game, worried about their immediate futures and looking at this draft alone. Belichick is looking at this draft, the next draft, the next 3 to 5 years...literally playing a different game than most.

Realistically, there's 0% chance we draft this kid. It's not like with Wilfork or Brown tumbling and you can't believe your luck. I mean there's 0% chance. This kid could kill someone and still go in the top 10.

But here is Belichick working the kid out, asking him to try something new, seeing how he adapts to a different technique, just trying to understand the kid. Maybe he'll face him soon. Maybe he will try to trade for him later. Maybe he'll be interested if he becomes a free agent. And maybe he'll never get to coach him. But he's doing the ground work, he's testing the kid, he's learning more about him.

Most coaches and FO wouldn't bother with someone they have no chance at drafting. They play the short game, worried about their immediate futures and looking at this draft alone. Belichick is looking at this draft, the next draft, the next 3 to 5 years...literally playing a different game than most.
I have a hunch it's much simpler than that. I think BB just naturally enjoys coaching talented players that impress him, period. Could be anywhere, anytime, and not with an agenda attached.

Moreover, he's just interested beyond any benefits. A football coach for all times, past and future.

But it'll be low cost suck, which can end up being a great thing.*

*(Ask any baby boomer that ever passed through Subic Bay to explain that for you.)
Hey, I passed through Subic Bay PI...Twice!!

The best twelve weeks of my life, before or since.

Hey, I passed through Subic Bay PI...Twice!!

The best twelve weeks of my life, before or since.

So you know the truth of which I speak. It's nice to know there are some folks here that appreciate the...uh...finer (yeah that's it) things in life

Would be neat to get this type of talent. Rarely know that feel as a Pats fan.

I honestly don't think that Belichick asking Chubb to assault a punching bag for a minute proves any reason to believe that he's thinking about trading for him 3-5 years in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News