PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB did a great job of clock management?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what? That was the MAX downside. It would still have left the GOAT time to get 8 points.
Bullcrap. The MAX downside is they run the ball a couple times and get a first down - but not a touchdown - because then the game is virtually over once they kick that FG. At that point there would be no way Brady could get the ball with anything more than 30 seconds (unless something highly improbable happened like a blocked FG or fumble).

So many people keep saying this.

The defense HAS to bail out the team regardless of what BB does in this case. If they punted they would need the defense to hold and if they go for it and miss they need the defense to hold. Either way they needed a 3 and out.
You seem not to realize that there is a difference between trailing by 1 point versus trailing by 4.

Hindsight is 20/20 but when the Patriots took over with 2:24 left and then again with 1:13 seconds left in the game I sure as heck would have rather needed a FG to win instead of a TD, wouldn't you?

Did you read the OP? It's explained in the OP why he went for it.

Is that what BB said? I'm sure if that situation happens again, he wouldn't automatically go for it.

You seem not to realize that there is a difference between trailing by 1 point versus trailing by 4.

Hindsight is 20/20 but when the Patriots took over with 2:24 left and then again with 1:13 seconds left in the game I sure as heck would have rather needed a FG to win instead of a TD, wouldn't you?

I would rather take two legitimate shots a winning the game than one. Either way the defense has to make a stand. Besides the play called worked. The coaching staff put them in position to win the game or at least make the first down. They can't control a dropped pass

At the time of the 4th down call, the Patriots had basically 2 drives left. Yes, the second one would be easier if it was a FG only, but you have to concede your first chance to get the easier second chance.

By going for it, they took one chance at winning by a FG, with the downside that they would get another chance, but need a TD.

In your scenario, they concede the first drive entirely, but they get one drive where they need a FG.

They gave themselves two chances to win the game. Your scenario only gives them one.

As it turns out, they would eventually cash in on the third drive. Minimizing opportunities for easier odds wasn't what won them the game; multiple shots at it (even more than we originally thought possible) did. The media will talk about how clutch Brady was down the stretch, but we needed 3 opportunities before we could cash in. Which is why you can't concede those opportunities at the end of a game so easily.

Speaking of time management, I am still impressed at how they used the qb sneak when everyone was expecting a pass against the bucs to set up a field goal before half time.

If we lost it wouldve been because of Bradys INT. Not clock management.

Going for it on 4th down reminded me of the SB a couple years ago when BB let the Giants walk into the end zone so that we would at least get the ball back and have a bit of a chance.

It was also very similar to the intentional safety the team took against Denver a few years back.

I would rather take two legitimate shots a winning the game than one. Either way the defense has to make a stand. Besides the play called worked. The coaching staff put them in position to win the game or at least make the first down. They can't control a dropped pass
You can't control a dropped pass but with the sad sack of WR's they are fielding these days, they sure as **** should be able to anticipate a dropped pass being a very likely outcome.

This team's strength is their defense. That's why they should have punted, then received the ball back needing only a FG to win.

TD +2 point conversion wouldve tied it.

It still gave us a chance.

Punting it down the field wouldve let the Saints run out the clock. Going for it made sure we would at least get a chance.

I know, that's what I said in post 34. Again I'm not saying that it was a bad decision I was just pointing out that the math didn't work from the post I quoted. At the time that the decision was made I understood what he was doing, I honestly can't say whether I thought it was a good or bad idea at the time, it just was what it was, both sides could be argued.

You can't control a dropped pass but with the sad sack of WR's they are fielding these days, they sure as **** should be able to anticipate a dropped pass being a very likely outcome.

This team's strength is their defense. That's why they should have punted, then received the ball back needing only a FG to win.

If you are going to worry about a dropped pass you might as well kneel and end the game. Or even better if you are worried about dropped passes then you give your offense two chances on moving the ball instead of just one. In the end it took 3 chances.

The defense it is the strength and they did a great job. Right before that NO had time consuming run oriented drive. You take your chances when you have them.

Watching Turning Point and before the drive Belichick said to Brady and McDaniels "If it's 4th and 3, 4th and 4 then we just gotta be ready to go, we'll hold them to a FG if we have to."

Clearly he had the upmost confidence in the defense to hold them to a FG.

Going for it on 4th down was the right call. Throwing to Dobson in that situation was a bit questionable, IMO, but it was manageable yardage and we have Tom F. Brady. Historically, he's about as good as it gets at converting those types of situations, and even this year where his receivers aren't as good and his accuracy has been off at times, it's still a better proposition than punting and hoping that a defense that's down a bunch of starters can hold up.

On his weekly chat with WEEI, Bill gave the impression that he really wasn't thinking that far ahead, that the only thing he was thinking about was that they needed to convert the 4th down.

So either he was telling the truth and he just got lucky, or he really did think it all through and was just feigning ignorance to the radio hosts.

I'm leaning towards the latter.

This (below) confirms that Belichick really did think it through (that even if they failed on 4th down, all they would have to do is hold them to a FG), and was just playing dumb on his radio interview the next day (where he claimed he didn't think that far ahead and that all he was thinking about was converting on 4th down).

BOSE Sounds of the Game - 10/18/2013

I don't know why the announcers were complaining and comparing it to 09, in the Colts game we had the lead, this game we didn't so I don't have an issue with going for it. Plus Manning was playing much better than Brees.

Only issue that stands out from the coaching is late in CIN, they go for it on 4th and pound it in with BJGE, I believe their only TD, we get 4th and 1 and kick the FG, if we went for it with Blount we score and down 13-10 can kick a FG on that last drive (the rain would have stopped and we probably tie it). So really I think our issue is being conservative not aggressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back