PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

B.G.C. 2019 NFL Draft/Patriot-Type Players Thread

I see the Patriots needing a DT to replace Brown and a highly talented All-around LB.

@BaconGrundleCandy - Saw your list, noticed you hadn't gotten to the DL or LB yet. I'm curious on the following:

Size wise, Sagapolu from Wisconsin is intriguing as a NT. He's also got a decent pedigree. Do you think he'd be a good addition late in the 2nd round?

I noticed in June you mentioned Josh Allen from Kentucky, but you don't have him on your list as a "Patriots-Type" player. Curious why that is..

I feel exactly the same way & have expressed similar thoughts on DT. NFL ready w upside. Physical, rangy & great recognition skills. I believe he has upside as a nickel & could be a box defender after a year or two if things really go in his favor. Just a great prospect. I can't grade until #'s come out but I can't imagine him not being a top 10-15 player for me.

Honestly reminds me of Earl Thomas lite who I thought was HOF/Elite material at Texas.

Will be a huge need. There aren't many great SAF in the league as is. Playmaker.

He won't last past 15 so we'll have to trade up but we have plenty of ammo.

Are we thinking pure FS or could his game translate into that Star Position?

There's going to be some TE Depth this year.. Lots of talent this year

Are we thinking pure FS or could his game translate into that Star Position?
I think he could be somehwhat interchangeable in certain situations/looks. A little bit of Chung's role. I think Obi would get a look there. It's not concern but he's a bit of an ankle bitter & not the biggest guy at 195-205.

I see the Patriots needing a DT to replace Brown and a highly talented All-around LB.

@BaconGrundleCandy - Saw your list, noticed you hadn't gotten to the DL or LB yet. I'm curious on the following:

Size wise, Sagapolu from Wisconsin is intriguing as a NT. He's also got a decent pedigree. Do you think he'd be a good addition late in the 2nd round?

I noticed in June you mentioned Josh Allen from Kentucky, but you don't have him on your list as a "Patriots-Type" player. Curious why that is..

Pretty sure we all love Allen. He probably goes top 15 though.

I like Sagapolu -- don't know if Bacon does -- but I'm afraid he has the Shelton problem: big time college run stuffer who lacks some lateral agility and can be rendered irrelevant by schemes and blocking that forces him to hold ground while moving down the line. Straight on, he's a monster; angles and defending against reach blocks or designed cutbacks out wide . . . long day on the field for him. Just my .02 cents, although I haven't thoroughly reviewed this year's tape, and he may have improved.

Last edited:

@reamer basically summed up Sagapolu for me. I wouldn't touch him before top 100-50.

Allen's tape this year is that "next step" every scout talks about in terms of what a player needs to do to solidify himself as a top 25 pick.
He improved in every area but looked so good doing it.

His pass rush was more explosive & efficient. Stronger & more decisive in the run game. Both from a physical aspect & mental. He was firing into his man at times this year & overwhelming him at the POA.

He'll definitely be on the P-TP List which will be updated big time soon

Last edited:
Tre Watson

You know I like Watson. He reminds me of E. Roberts, but with the ability to play in space and a little better technique to get off blocks. Could do a lot worse in the mid rounds.

Germaine Pratt is someone of interest to me at the moment..

Seems to shed blocks really well too is also good in coverage as well. Not sure what grade I have on him yet.
He can do a lil of everything which is why I got Leonard vibes but who knows.

He's been vg all year tho.

Pratt is bigger but again I see his stamp all of the field after a game.

Serious question bc I'm huge on strong position groups. Probably less than a 5% chance but what if we targeted both. Obviously w high picks. Let's say 1-2.

Depending on how the board goes they might be bpa & both fill needs. Both are versatile enough to play different roles & look NFL ready. Fant's speed, stride length & route running will be a problem for almost any defender. Hock looks like a Kittle clone you can use & move all over. Plays like the below will are a great example of how you can use him off p/a. Misdirection.

Trust me I want defensive talent & we need it but who knows how the board falls.

I think we'd be lucky if we walked away w these two.

Last edited:
Serious question bc I'm huge of strong position groups. Probably less than a 5% chance but what if we targeted both. Obviously w high picks. Let's say 1-2.

Depending on how the board goes they might be bpa & both fill needs. Both are versatile enough to play different roles & look NFL ready. Fant's speed, stride length & route running will be a problem for almost any defender. Hock looks like a Kittle clone you can use & move all over. Plays like the below will are a great example of how you can use him off p/a. Misdirection.

Trust me I want defensive talent & we need it but who knows how the board falls.

I think we'd be lucky if we walked away w these two.

You have literally read my mind I just posted something along the same lines! Couldn’t agree more with you if I tried!

Jordan Love is someone I've had a crush this year & I think it'll only grow. 25/4 ratio I believe. 65% cmp. Footwork, mostly his steps, could be cleaned up a bit but he's pretty clean.

Has that arm talent, man, does he display the 3 biggies. Touch, Accuracy & Placement. Can easily touch all 3 levels. Very smooth.

He's only a SO so he's eligible next year which is a good thing considering we have to really build up the team save QB. Brady will be here at least next year so we can focus on everything thing this year imo.

I can see it now. Heir Jordan. Count me in on Jordan Love. This guy really is smooth. He's a big time sleeper for the 2020 draft.

You're right on Montez. I don't thing he has the aptitude to grasp this offense let alone any NFL offensive playbook.

Zach Allen - can’t work out a grade for him at all. I got him from 1st round to a 3rd round grade on him.

Not sure what you think.. @BaconGrundleCandy

Zach Allen - can’t work out a grade for him at all. I got him from 1st round to a 3rd round grade on him.

Not sure what you think.. @BaconGrundleCandy
I love him but understand why other might hesitate. Testing will be huge for him. He post good #'s & it would make it a lot easier to pick him for some I imagine.

He fits out mold at that spot though. I know it would never happen but signing Flowers, Frank Clark from FA & drafting Allen might take care of our needs at DE for a minute. Again i cant see Clark here bc of his past but that might help solve our problem & allow us to remain flexibility in RD1.

Back to Allen. 2 gap power on the edge, both spots actually. Vg 1st step. Not a bender but he's a classic worker w length & motor. That translates. Probably will never be. 8+ sack guy but great against the run. Versatile. Reliable & smart. Allen also needs help growing into body which could be real upside if he gets molded right. Needs to tighten up some but strong as a lumberjack. Could probably sell paper towels w a flannel shirt on.

I love him but understand why other might hesitate. Testing will be huge for him. He post good #'s & it would make it a lot easier to pick him for some I imagine.

He fits out mold at that spot though. I know it would never happen but signing Flowers, Frank Clark from FA & drafting Allen might take care of our needs at DE for a minute. Again i cant see Clark here bc of his past but that might help solve our problem & allow us to remain flexibility in RD1.

Back to Allen. 2 gap power on the edge, both spots actually. Vg 1st step. Not a bender but he's a classic worker w length & motor. That translates. Probably will never be. 8+ sack guy but great against the run. Versatile. Reliable & smart. Allen also needs help growing into body which could be real upside if he gets molded right. Needs to tighten up some but strong as a lumberjack. Could probably sell paper towels w a flannel shirt on.

Yeah was just wondering what your opinion was on him as He just never “wowed me” when watching tape whereas some of the other guys I’ve looked at have. I do agree he would fit here perfectly more because of his ability against the run. Agree a D-line of frank and Trey would give us flexibility but I’d be surprised if the seahawks let him go.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back