PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Available free agents not drafted

Status
Not open for further replies.
DW - You were the one who made the claim that Tate had bad hands. I asked you to prove it. I even gave you the starting point to prove it from by telling you how many times he was targeted.

I knew how many it was. I knew what the % was and who it compared to on the Pats. And I knew that your claim was bogus because of the information.

You putting it up is YOU providing the facts to support your claim. Or, in this case, have your claim go up in smoke..

So....does anybody have an opinion on this Brandon Tate kid?

Well i saw flashes, i didn't think he was That Bad, with another year there should be improvement.

Last edited:

Just my opinion but it seemed to me like he lacked confidence, fire, and maybe some quick decision making skills. Maybe some more coaching will give him more backbone and help him to be more successful. And maybe Brady could slap him across the face before each play to get him angry.

DW - You were the one who made the claim that Tate had bad hands. I asked you to prove it. I even gave you the starting point to prove it from by telling you how many times he was targeted.

I knew how many it was. I knew what the % was and who it compared to on the Pats. And I knew that your claim was bogus because of the information.

You putting it up is YOU providing the facts to support your claim. Or, in this case, have your claim go up in smoke..

2010 YPC Leaders BY Catch Rate:

WR ---------- YPC - Total - YAC - Air yds - 20+% - Lng - TD% - C/R

M. Floyd -------- 19.4 -- 717 - 118 -- 16.2 -- 32% --- 55 - 16% - 48%
D. Jackson ------ 22.5 - 1056 - 354 -- 14.9 -- 45% --- 91 - 13% - 49%
B. Lloyd --------- 18.8 - 1448 - 198 -- 16.2 -- 30% --- 71 - 14% - 50%
Naanee --------- 16.1 -- 371 -- 92 -- 12.1 -- 22% --- 59 -- 4% - 50%
Armstrong ------- 19.8 -- 871 - 171 -- 15.9 -- 34% --- 76 -- 7% - 51%
Knox ------------ 18.8 -- 960 - 243 -- 14.1 -- 33% --- 67 - 12% - 51%
BRANDON TATE 18.0 -- 432 - 112 -- 13.3 -- 33% --- 65 - 13% - 52%
Edwards --------- 17.1 -- 904 - 290 -- 11.6 -- 26% --- 74 - 13% - 52%
Hester -------- 11.9 -- 475 - 222 -- 6.3 -- 10% --- 39 - 10% - 55%
Britt ------------- 18.5 -- 775 - 124 -- 15.5 -- 29% --- 80 - 21% - 58%
Obomanu -------- 16.5 -- 494 - 182 -- 10.4 -- 23% --- 87 - 13% - 60%
Wallace ---------- 21.0 - 1257 - 364 -- 14.9 -- 43% --- 56 - 17% - 60%
Jennings --------- 16.6 - 1265 - 415 -- 11.2 -- 28% --- 86 - 16% - 61%

Catch Rate = Receptions / throws to

Tate's Catch Rate was about mid-pack among "deep threat" WRs, in terms of "hands.".

Hester wasn't nearly the "deep threat" that Tate was and his receiving production wasn't significantly better than Tate's (even though he's been at it awhile longer). But I don't suppose the Bears will be looking to dump him anytime soon.

More BS from you. I don't tell people to "do my work for me." I tell people like you to actually defend your opinion with fact. Not just "Cause I said so" garbage.

What is sour is your eyes, not the testee. When it comes to talent evaluation, you lost all credibility when you refused to believe that Sanders wasn't even 10% as bad as you made him out to be despite BB giving him a 3 year extension at 3 mill per year.

O..K. Cousins, He started it. Don't blame me....Mr. Debruinz i.e "statman". The N.E Pats were 31st in the League in passing yardage. Why don't "YOU" look up to see where those yards were? I will save you the time. Right up the middle. Chung is still young. Merriweather is a loose cannon, but your best buddy Sanders is the blame for most of those yards. Hence we were last in the NFL in getting off the field on third downs as well. Your $3 million dollar back up Safety had a personal good year for him, but he was a disaster for the Team. Do you want me to look up the stats once more?

Let's talk about the NFL Pats Jets playoff game. The Pats get back in 14-11 and then comes Cotchery's 58 yarder. Guess where? Right over the middle. Spikes was the short coverage (a little help please against a WR!) but if you look at the video and that little small spot 30 yards down the field with the #36 on him (you can barely see him) is our.......Safety with that bewildered look in his eyes. I believe he was getting a hot dog. Want to go back to the Colts playoff game?

My eyes were "smarter" than you on your other buddy Maroney who you tried without success to beat me into submission about his extreme value on the Team. A year before the Pats picked up Moss, I said it would be a great addition and you, my friend among others roasted me. So I am not right every time but as much as you.

If you think Tate is great( see I have downgraded him for you) I respect your opinion. IMO I am not buying his "rookie" status last year. His most productive year in college was 25 catches. I have seen his hands. I am all set on that opinion. I say mediocre at best. Upgradable. Hey at least I have the guts to say I hope I am wrong.

I say Sanders probably is a backup and not bad..... but way too much at $3m. He is replaceable in my humble opinion. Those who think he makes our DBs better, have at it.

YouTube - Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in.
DW Toys

Dryheat. Great post!~ Seems like we are involved in yet another slugfest. I think we have gotten off track about what the thread was. Tate is not an available UDFA....is he?
Thanks,
DW Toys

Brandon Tate = Bethel Johnson, and is destined for the same fate.
Mike Wallace was taken immediately after Tate. Thanks, Bill.

This might be the most pathetic post in the thread. That's saying a lot.

You obviously haven't paid much attention to either Tate or Johnson.

Tate is to Johnson what BGE is to Curtis Enis.

They amazing Captain Stone makes a reappeance.. The guy who is the KING of 20/20 hindsight.. Where you been hiding Captain?? Come to tell us how great you are and how Belichick sucks at drafting some more.... :rolleyes:

Some very good players at S and C.

Very limited options at DE, OLB, WR, RB.
Don't know about that. WR Jeff Maehl is a pretty underrated player. 12 TDs and 1000+ yards at Oregon tells me he can probably contribute in the NFL. Surprised he didn't get drafted.

Don't know about that. WR Jeff Maehl is a pretty underrated player. 12 TDs and 1000+ yards at Oregon tells me he can probably contribute in the NFL. Surprised he didn't get drafted.

Good call.

I'd say he'd probably be an upgrade to Brandon Tate, wouldn't you? :)

Some on this board sound just like those in SF (talk radio in those days) who wanted to run Jerry Rice out of town after his rookie season.......too many drops, bad hands, Walsh should have picked someone else, Walsh doesn't know how to draft, Walsh doesn't know what he's doing, etc, etc.

Rice turned out to be pretty good and I bet Niner fans wish they had a coach/GM who is remotely as competent as Walsh was. I guess some people will complain about anything.

Some on this board sound just like those in SF (talk radio in those days) who wanted to run Jerry Rice out of town after his rookie season.......too many drops, bad hands, Walsh should have picked someone else, Walsh doesn't know how to draft, Walsh doesn't know what he's doing, etc, etc.

Rice turned out to be pretty good and I bet Niner fans wish they had a coach/GM who is remotely as competent as Walsh was. I guess some people will complain about anything.

Tate has had two camps. He is not a "rookie". I don't get it with this "he's only had one year" stuff?

Someone threw Givens in my face. He could block on the outside. He was special at that. Tate has never had to that.

Rice had a resume. You can stick with a kid that showed previous upside. That is not 25 receptions. He was mediocre at UNC..... (now watch this!) Debrunz ...show me the evidence that Tate had a college resume as a WR that was more than mediocre?

Injuries yes. Part of the game. Gronkowski was injured his Senior year but had 47 receptions in his junior year.......... Tate had 25. Taylor Price had 56 receptions on a running Team.

Did you know that Bethel Johnson at Texas A & M had 40 receptions in his best year?

I hope all of you Tate fans are right. I hope he can be made into an NFL wide receiver. I am skeptical but I hope I am dead wrong. My humble opinion is we are wasting possible positive plays by targeting him as a starting WR. Is he a 4th or 5th WR? o.k. I will buy that. I actually think he will improve this year, but he still is no more than a 4th guy, i.e. JAG.

At the end of the day, is he replaceable as a Pats starting WR as someone I want to use in the clutch....?....absolutely. Right now at this second (and they have never caught a NFL pass), would I be more comfortable with Jeff Maehl or Armon Binns both UDFA...etc? Not even close. Would I prefer even Ochocinco in the clutch? Yep.
DW Toys

Tate has had two camps. He is not a "rookie". I don't get it with this "he's only had one year" stuff?

Maybe you forgot that he started the 2009 season on PUP, which meant he couldn't be out on the field getting reps with Brady?

Last edited:

I agree 100%.

Just make sure you distinguish the difference between snarking and sincerity, my newly arrived friend. ;)

Good call.

facepalm.gif, Mahel wouldn't be an upgrade over anybody on this roster.

Last edited:

Someone threw Givens in my face. He could block on the outside. He was special at that. Tate has never had to that.

Rice had a resume. You can stick with a kid that showed previous upside. That is not 25 receptions. He was mediocre at UNC..... (now watch this!) Debrunz ...show me the evidence that Tate had a college resume as a WR that was more than mediocre?

Injuries yes. Part of the game. Gronkowski was injured his Senior year but had 47 receptions in his junior year.......... Tate had 25. Taylor Price had 56 receptions on a running Team.

Did you know that Bethel Johnson at Texas A & M had 40 receptions in his best year?

I hope all of you Tate fans are right. I hope he can be made into an NFL wide receiver. I am skeptical but I hope I am dead wrong. My humble opinion is we are wasting possible positive plays by targeting him as a starting WR. Is he a 4th or 5th WR? o.k. I will buy that. I actually think he will improve this year, but he still is no more than a 4th guy, i.e. JAG.

At the end of the day, is he replaceable as a Pats starting WR as someone I want to use in the clutch....?....absolutely. Right now at this second (and they have never caught a NFL pass), would I be more comfortable with Jeff Maehl or Armon Binns both UDFA...etc? Not even close. Would I prefer even Ochocinco in the clutch? Yep.
DW Toys

Tate might end up as a 4th WR, i.e. JAG. I don't disagree with that. But I really don't get the obsession with Ochocinco. Really, what is this about?

Ochocinco is not a deep threat like Tate. He's now a target in the short-to-intermediate passing game. He's bigger than most of our WRs, but he doesn't offer a deep threat as his 12.4 YPC last season suggest, and not cracking 15 YPC for the past 3 seasons.

Is he an upgrade over Tate as a #3 or #4 receiver? Possibly, but he doesn't add the deep threat that Tate does. And I keep hearing about Tate's bad hands, and I've seen some bad drops. He only catches 52% of his targets, which looks pretty awful. But Ocho only caught 53% of his targets last season, despite being a target of shorter passes.

Is Ocho going to overtake Welker or Branch as a starter? No. So is he really any better than Tate? What would Ocho contribute as a non-starter, potentially 5th on the passing target list behind Welker, Branch, Gronk, and Hernandez? He doesn't add speed to the equation, he's not a deep threat, and he doesn't catch a significant portion of his passes compared to Tate.

I can understand people hating on Tate. I disagree with it, but I understand it. But your love affair with Ochocinco is beyond comprehension.

Good call.

facepalm.gif, Mahel wouldn't be an upgrade over anybody on this roster.

Good LORD. :rolleyes:

Y'all REALLY haven't been paying attention, now, HAVE you??
smiley_towel.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye