PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Atlanta special teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

RIpats88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
One thing that stuck out to me in the game against the seahawks was hester who was a shell of himself agaimst the pats and was cut by the ravens looked like an all pro

Is this an issue for atlanta? And with edelman/lewis can we exploit this?

One thing that stuck out to me in the game against the seahawks was hester who was a shell of himself agaimst the pats and was cut by the ravens looked like an all pro

That's a very interesting question. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who watched even a few of their games. Were it not for penalties, Hester would have officially had damn near 200 yards in returns and a couple of TD's.

He looked like himself for 1-2 plays and then regressed back to the state that got him cut.

Those Hester returns were eye opening. Were they all Hester or did the Sea Hags uncover a major flaw in Atlanta's coverage. Im sure we're scheming on how to exploit any flaws and Atlanta is hard at work trying to plug any holes. Will be fun to see out this plays out.

I have watched a bit of Atlanta STs. Enough to know ours are better. They don't seem to have a great return game and look prone to mistakes in this area. I think our kick and punt coverage is likely to get us into less trouble and more likely to make a key pin inside the the 10 than theirs. I don't think either ours or their unit gets that huge gain or returns one for a TD but i think they make a mistake before the Pats which cost big time field position.

Much like how their speed on defense causes them to over pursue on that side of the ball, their team speed on special teams causes them to over pursue the returner from time to time. The Pats can definitely exploit this if given a chance.

Over pursuing = Dion Lewis juke time. If there is one opportunity for him to get those shifty legs of last year, it's against these undisciplined bastards.

I've asked this question a few times on other threads so am glad you started one. Special Teams needs to be a factor here. Field position, forcing a fumble or better yet a score or two. Not one of the fancy media outlets has analyzed this part of the game.

Our coverage sucks. And the returners are simply asked to not fumble

Right, we keep forgetting to ask ours to not fumble. Darn it!

At times, it does seem like they focus on everything except not fumbling. Prior to this season, I can't remember our returners getting so many yards--or dropping the ball as much.

Most we can expect is a 15 yard punt return. Rare kickoff to the 35. The lack of playmaking ability on st is really something to behold

Quinns staff doesn't put much stock in special teams as the previous crew did. Mike smith's falcons had one of the best units year in year old, but the trade off is his roster was very thin while Quinns is incredibly deep.

As far as the Seahawks game though.. there was a reason why they were getting flagged on every return.. and those reasons are why Hester was taking off. Even the one that didn't get called back, there was blatant holding everywhere, so don't expect to get huge returns just based off that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes