PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Article on McDaniels and his role in the Pats offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of things. I never said that O'Brien couldn't end up being as good or better than either McDaniels or Weis. He may very well be.

O'Brien does have years of experience as a college OC which should help the transistion. Again Belichick has yet to name him the official OC. I wonder why he does that or if he will before the season starts.

That website is the same website that said Seymour was garbage and didn't even understand what a 3-4 defensive end does.

They also completely ripped off ESPN's web page.

This is just another McDaniels ball washer giving him credit any way he can, even if it means linking to a complete joke of a website.

I am extremely happy McDaniels is gone. All he did here was apply what Belichick innovated from Urban Meyer's offense. It's not too hard to call the same shot-gun formation for the vast majority of your snaps. The guy has a big ego, lacks situational awareness, and on more than one occasion his ineptitude against more wily defensive coordinators cost us games.

Belichick is constantly trying to learn new ways to make this team more effective. He visits with Urban Meyers every year for that reason. It isn't a coincidence that the Pats started to make their offense more like Meyer's spread offense after the yearly visits to Florida started. I am sure that Belichick's yearly fishing outings with Jimmy Johnson include a lot of exchanging of ideas.

Even if McDaniels is an offensive genius, a lot of what he has learned came directly or indirectly from Belichick anyway.

Exactly. Belichick is the one frequently visiting these innovative minds out of his own initiative, picking their brains, and then passing on instructions to his assistants.

The Patriots offense will be completely fine. I have no worries whatsoever. Under McDaniels the offense always choked in key drives or key 1st downs, especially in play off games. His biggest problem was he never saved any plays or employed deception for those big moments. Our chances of winning a championship just went up with McDaniels gone.

Anyone remember the Superbowl? 3 full timeouts, need 40 yards and a field goal to tie, and we call a few stupid hail mary's to end the game.

Last edited:
I had not heard the term "situational football" before...

Clearly this is one incredibly insightful, well sourced, and well informed author. There can be no doubt he knows what he's talking about.

I have been ripping Josh McDaniels as an in-over-his-head 32-year old coach who screwed up the Broncos for years.

How many years has McDaniels been with the Broncos again?

Last edited:
The NFL Sport Channel was linked to the same source that called Richard Seymour overrated.

Anyone remember the Superbowl? 3 full timeouts, need 40 yards and a field goal to tie, and we call a few stupid hail mary's to end the game.

Yep. Rightly or wrongly thats the game I remember. Easy to call plays out the gun when its all going so well but that game needed screens, slants, play actions etc not the constant deep bomb to Moss when the OL was getting manhandled. It was only when the Giants D tired those calls came off and by then we were close enough that they pulled the miracle ..

Im also not sure how much was McDaniels and how much was TB and that O calling their plays at their line and 2 very clever WR's running options

Guess we'll see this year, but like Manning in Indy I suspect Brady will drive what happens on most of the plays on offense this season

That website is the same website that said Seymour was garbage and didn't even understand what a 3-4 defensive end does.

They also completely ripped off ESPN's web page.

Thanks for the obvious. It was mentioned before..

This is just another McDaniels ball washer giving him credit any way he can, even if it means linking to a complete joke of a website.

Compared to you, who is a McDaniels hater who lies and makes things up..

I am extremely happy McDaniels is gone. All he did here was apply what Belichick innovated from Urban Meyer's offense. It's not too hard to call the same shot-gun formation for the vast majority of your snaps. The guy has a big ego, lacks situational awareness, and on more than one occasion his ineptitude against more wily defensive coordinators cost us games.

Just because the base formation is the same it doesn't mean that the routes the receivers run is the same.

Of course, you blame McDaniels ineptitude, but don't blame the players for failed execution.

How does McDaniels have a big ego?

The only one who has a big ego is you, MAV. Because you claim to be smarter than BB, who is the one who had the final say on the plays being called in. Not to mention that, during McDaniels 4 years as OC, the Patriots put up a perfect regular season, won 18 games in a row, had the highest scoring offense in the league, and having won 76% of their regular season games over that time frame.

Please enlighten us on the games that McDaniels specifically cost the Patriots the win. There are 17 of them over the last 4 years.

Well, I suppose that fits in the realm of the "creativity" cited by the author.

Truly, who among us could have imagined such playcalling?

T
Of course, you blame McDaniels ineptitude, but don't blame the players for failed execution.

Not to mention that, during McDaniels 4 years as OC, the Patriots put up a perfect regular season, won 18 games in a row, had the highest scoring offense in the league

Yes the players need to execute but it is the coaches who put the chess pieces in the position to succeed or fail. And under McDaniels the Pats have consistently choked in the big moments, even though he's had better weapons than Weiss had. When Weiss was here our offensive talent was much worse and the D gave up points late, and yet the offense came through time and time again in key moments.

As for your second point, Mike Martz also put up monster points with the Rams, that doesn't mean he was a great playoff coach or a good head coach. He was also stubborn and lacked situational awareness like McDaniels, he kept trying to throw even though the Pats played nickel or dime nearly all Superbowl against him. And just like McDaniels, the blame goes on Martz that game for his play calling, and less blame to Warner/Faulk/Holt/etc

Last edited:
Because you claim to be smarter than BB, who is the one who had the final say on the plays being called in.

More lies from the resident pompous arse on the forum. I have never claimed that, whereas you constantly berate others who disagree with you.

Belichick gives lots of autonomy to his coordinators. Look at how different the D has looked under Romeo, Mangini, and Pees. Even when Mangini was horrible, Belichick let Mangini call the same lax defense for nearly an entire season.

Wow, imagine that. A thread about McDaniels where Maverick44 continues to be alone in beating a dead horse with limp arguments that have been disproven multiple times on this board. Like clockwork.

Yes, I remember the SB.

NFL Game Center: Play-by-Play - New York Giants at New England Patriots - 2007 21

It would seem that YOUR recollection is wrong, though. But, that seems to be the case with you.

Get with the program, DB. When the team makes a play in the closing seconds it's to the players credit. When they fail to make plays in the closing minutes either on offense or defense or both, it's because McKid was in over his head...

maverick4 said:
Belichick gives lots of autonomy to his coordinators. Look at how different the D has looked under Romeo, Mangini, and Pees. Even when Mangini was horrible, Belichick let Mangini call the same lax defense for nearly an entire season.

Only what killed us in the SB was Belichick giving Pees the autonomy to call the least lax defense of the season...and the inability of the players on the field to execute it.

Wow, imagine that. A thread about McDaniels where Maverick44 continues

I'm not the one creating a thread linking to a completely non-credible website to fuel the ball washing of McDaniels as some sort of offensive genius.

McDaniels is gone, I'm happy about it, and haven't made a thread about this in awhile. I did not make this thread, but I'll definitely respond when it comes to false claims about McDaniels' supposed talent.

Funny how Belichick did the traveling, meeting with Meyer and Jimmy Johnson and others, and somehow this article tries to make it all McDaniels.

Only what killed us in the SB was Belichick giving Pees the autonomy to call the least lax defense of the season...and the inability of the players on the field to execute it.

The D failed us late from 01-04 as well, and yet the offense pulled through when we needed it. With better weapons under McDaniels, he can't get it done.

Yes the players need to execute but it is the coaches who put the chess pieces in the position to succeed or fail. And under McDaniels the Pats have consistently choked in the big moments, even though he's had better weapons than Weiss had. When Weiss was here our offensive talent was much worse and the D gave up points late, and yet the offense came through time and time again in key moments.

How is it McDaniels fault if the PLAYERS have choked? Its not. That is what you don't get. And the offense came through plenty of times only to be let down by the defense. Because the defense was such a hodge podge due to injuries... Those are things you refuse to acknowledge.

As for your second point, Mike Martz also put up monster points with the Rams, that doesn't mean he was a great playoff coach or a good head coach. He was also stubborn and lacked situational awareness like McDaniels, he kept trying to throw even though the Pats played nickel or dime nearly all Superbowl against him. And just like McDaniels, the blame goes on Martz that game for his play calling, and less blame to Warner/Faulk/Holt/etc

Sorry, but Martz was the HC for that game. I will point out to you, AGAIN, that BB has the final say on the plays being called in. And its BRADY who has the final defensive reads and who can audible to change the plays if needed. McDaniels did the right thing against the Giants by putting the ball in his best player's hands and relying on him and his best offensive weapons to get the job done. The Players just didn't execute. Hell, for all we know, Brady is the one who called the 3 long passes based on the reads he saw on the field. Yet you refuse to even acknowledge that possibility.

More lies from the resident pompous arse on the forum. I have never claimed that, whereas you constantly berate others who disagree with you.

Sorry, but the pompous arse is you. You have basically claimed that you are smarter than BB because its YOU who claims that everything is McDaniels fault and claim that McDaniels stinks. So you are contradicting BB's judgement of this fact. Therefore, you are claiming to be smarter than him.

Actually, BB didn't let Mangini call the same "lax" defense for nearly an entire season. You seem to forget that BB actually took over the play calling from Mangini that year. While BB does give autonomy to his coordinators, he still has the final say on what plays go in.

The D was different under the different coordinators because of the different caliber of players, mainly. But that is beside the point.

The D failed us late from 01-04 as well, and yet the offense pulled through when we needed it. With better weapons under McDaniels, he can't get it done.

Then neither could BB or Brady. And Brady has a much BIGGER impact on what happens on the field than McDaniels does. Yet, I don't see you putting ANY blame on Brady. NONE.

I'm not the one creating a thread linking to a completely non-credible website to fuel the ball washing of McDaniels as some sort of offensive genius.

McDaniels is gone, I'm happy about it, and haven't made a thread about this in awhile. I did not make this thread, but I'll definitely respond when it comes to false claims about McDaniels' supposed talent.

Funny how Belichick did the traveling, meeting with Meyer and Jimmy Johnson and others, and somehow this article tries to make it all McDaniels.

How do you know that McDaniels didn't do his own travelling to those coaches? The off-season actions of the coaches and coordinators isn't exactly publicized.

This is another thing you do. You think that because you don't read about it that its not happening. Are you honestly that naive to think that the Coordinators and other coaches are doing NOTHING in the off-season to improve themselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3