PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are we mispronouncing Belichick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who cares. My last name is impossible to pronounce and spell. Everyone in the western world can spell Belichick now.

When we go to restaurants Mrs RW uses Seinfeld names.

Kramer
Klompus
Chote
Gack
Costanza

Funny but let's face it, Weathers isn't the toughest name to pronounce.

Yeah, his wife has a lot of issues besides the Seinfeld obsession.

What's he going to tell us next? Robert is pronounced Row-Bayer?

Funny but let's face it, Weathers isn't the toughest name to pronounce.

I wish it was my real last name. I'd save me and my family a ton of aggravation.

Well, that's not how you'd pronounce Biličić in Croatian, anyways. Both c's with diacritics above them are pronounced as ch's. Assuming the second syllable is stressed, that i would be pronounced closer to the i in "police" than in "sit" and would not morph to a schwa. So it's more like Bill-EECH-ich. But the name was anglicized and is pronounced the way it's pronounced; it's not like we're saying Brady like Brádaigh is correctly pronounced either.

Damn, can get an education on this board.

Enroll in Joe Kerr's Language Academy and you'll be speaking pure Vo Dilunese in a month...

da cah'z ova dere wid dat udda cah widda dent innit...pahked side by each...

Well, that's not how you'd pronounce Biličić in Croatian, anyways. Both c's with diacritics above them are pronounced as ch's. Assuming the second syllable is stressed, that i would be pronounced closer to the i in "police" than in "sit" and would not morph to a schwa. So it's more like Bill-EECH-ich. But the name was anglicized and is pronounced the way it's pronounced; it's not like we're saying Brady like Brádaigh is correctly pronounced either.
It is pronounced GOAT.

Getting back to Bill. The real difference in actual practice is that many pronounce the last syllable as chick and many others pronounce it as chek.

It's kind of like my street name... Gilchrist. more people want to say and spell it crest (like toothpaste) and others say it correctly as crist.
Why I have to spell my address out to every single rep over the phone is way beyond me. I say "GILL CHRIST" and they still spell it wrong.

Because Croatian and English have different alphabets, and unlike English all Croatian letters are phonetic. Croatian is a latinized version of Cyrillic (if you can read Cyrillic, Serbian, which is the same language in the 'original' alphabet, is much easier to comprehend; I'm a a Russian and Bulgarian speaker to get by and can speak enough Bosnian-Serbian-Croatian and Croatian trips me up because of false similarities to English letters while Serbian is easy to get; I have to consciously read Croatian into Cyrillic in my head).

The two different letters are mostly an artifact, the č was at one point pronounced "harder" than the ć, but nowadays they're pretty much the same. To make it even more confusing, a c in Croatian is always pronounced like "ts" (Cyrillic letter Ц). There's no hard c, that's what the letter k is for, and a soft c is the letter s.

Though it sounds confusing, it's actually much less confusing than English in the grant scheme of things. Think about how c, k, and ck can all take on the same pronunciation, but c can also take on the same pronunciation as letter s (which in turn also does double duty with sh), or the sound ch with an h, but to further complicate matters our "ch" can also be a k as in Christmas if the word is of Greek origin, as in modern English the k sound has completely replaced the guttural "kh" sound of the Greek chi, or x, whereas most Slavic languages preserve it in the letter x.

English even has a sound that doesn't exist in Slavic languages (th; hence why Russians, even fluent English speakers, say things like tis or tem or boat instead of this or them or both). You internalize these things as a child as a native speaker, but it explains why English is so difficult to learn.
Билл Белицхицк је професионални фудбалски тренер у Националној фудбалској лиги. Широко се сматра за најбољег.

Билл Белицхицк је професионални фудбалски тренер у Националној фудбалској лиги. Широко се сматра за најбољег.
You shouldn’t tag here.

You shouldn’t tag here.
But did you check the translation? It might say: "Clonamery is an esteemed poster on Patsfans.com and also a generally well-regarded presence on the Internet at large."

But did you check the translation? It might say: "Clonamery is an esteemed poster on Patsfans.com and also a generally well-regarded presence on the Internet at large."
Fake news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes