PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are these Patriots free agents worth the following?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I can't make this too complicated with how long the deal is, the guarantee, etc., so let's just go with the annual salary. Please go with a yes/no and feel free to add an explanation.

Trey Flowers
Is he worth $17.5M, roughly the current franchise tag for defensive ends? Not asking if they would franchise him, but the tag amount itself represents top-5 DE value.

Trent Brown
Is he worth $12.5M, roughly the reported amount the Patriots offered Nate Solder last year?

Jason McCourty
Is he worth $5.5M? He made $3M this year but will surely command more on the open market at this position.

Cordarrelle Patterson
Is he worth $5M, a little more than what he made the past two seasons? Undoubtedly other teams will be interested.

Stephen Gostkowski
Is he worth $4.5M? That's elite kicker range, and someone will pay it.

Phillip Dorsett
Is he worth $3M? He may be able to develop further and play a larger role.

Chris Hogan
Is he worth $3M? He is 30 and does not appear to be trending in the right direction.

Malcom Brown
Is he worth $3M? He has not lived up to expectations but is a contributor.

Eric Rowe
Is he worth $2.5M? He is a competent player at a competitive position, and his stock is low.

Ryan Allen
Is he worth $2.5M? He has been very good and probably commands top money at the position.

BONUS

Rob Gronkowski
Is he worth $12M if he decides to continue playing? Releasing him would only be a dead cap hit of $2M. Supposing they restructure his deal, is he worth $8M? What is he worth?

Dwayne Allen
Is he worth $4.5M? There is no dead cap hit from releasing him from his current salary at $7M, which is a likely move. They would need to restructure.

Julian Edelman
Julian Edelman forgets who he is, believes he is Antonio Brown, and texts Bill "pay up bro, or imma do me". Is he worth $8.5M for one year with incentives? He is currently at $5.5, a massive discount.

Danny Amendola
The Dolphins cut Danny Amendola. Is he worth $3M for another year?

Tom Brady
Giselle's career bombs and Tom's fitness program is investigated by the FDA...leaving him penniless and living on the streets. He demands $40M for 2019. Deal?

I can't make this too complicated with how long the deal is, the guarantee, etc., so let's just go with the annual salary. Please go with a yes/no and feel free to add an explanation.

Just to take the top few, in order to keep the post smaller"

Trey Flowers
Is he worth $17.5M, roughly the current franchise tag for defensive ends? Not asking if they would franchise him, but the tag amount itself represents top-5 DE value.

I don't think he's worth the money. He's a good player, but he's aided by being in a system that maximizes his impact. But, given what else is going to be out on the market, we could be looking at another Solder situation, where the play gets an outsized contract due to Brady (in this case BB) and the supply/demand situation. I mean, isn't he a perfect get for either Detroit or Miami?

So, this could (not saying will, but could) be one of those rare situations where the overpay is the way to go.

Trent Brown
Is he worth $12.5M, roughly the reported amount the Patriots offered Nate Solder last year?

Yes. He's been better than 2017 Solder, so he's worth the money. The question is whether he's more interested in comfort on a good team or money in a new environment.

Jason McCourty
Is he worth $5.5M? He made $3M this year but will surely command more on the open market at this position.

No. I'm not sure he's even worth the $3m again, but that's probably the sweet spot.

Cordarrelle Patterson
Is he worth $5M, a little more than what he made the past two seasons? Undoubtedly other teams will be interested.

I don't think he's worth the $5m, but he was worth the $3.25m the Patriots paid him last year. His impact exceeded his production, IMO.

Stephen Gostkowski

He's a kicker. It's not about value as much as it is about replacement. And, since I don't know of any adequate replacement out there, I'd pay him.

Note: My post above is the result of something screwy happening. I tried to edit it, but it would not allow the changes, for some reason.

Trent Brown ain't getting 12.5 from us and Phillip Dorsett is a First Round bust. Love both kickers and think they could work out a deal for Trey Flowers.

Chris Hogan, 30 yrsd old, 29 catches/468 yards/3 Tds
Cordarrell Patterson, 27 yrs old, 20 catches/244 yards/3 Tds

Together, they have a cap of 6.4m, with similar production to DA, with more Tds. Add to that the advantage of youth and Patterson's 21 KRs for 633 yards and a TD, and they have more production. DA has not returned a kick this year, while only returning 7 punts. This doesn't account for Patterson's ability to fill in at RB. Certainly, an argument can be made that he was running the ball out of necessity. but that's part of the full package he brings. No one thought that would lose Hill, Michel, and Burkhead all at once. Do you think DA would've been an option at RB? Me either.

That's what I wrote a while back. I would be in on Patterson, I think his jack-of-all-trades suits the Pats and his total production is fine, based on his pay, but you have to include his KR #'s to get the big picture. He's never going to be more than a #3 or #4 receiver. Patterson also had 228 yards on 42 carries. Now, he's certainly a candidate for an extension and a lower cap #. Hogan, I don't love the production he brings. He struggles getting open. I think his production is more as a result of Tom than his own work.

Ryan Allen
Is he worth $2.5M? He has been very good and probably commands top money at the position.
Pay the man. That one to me is an easy one.
Eric Rowe
Is he worth $2.5M? He is a competent player at a competitive position, and his stock is low.
what is the going rate for veteran CBs coming off injury? Seems like a low enough number.
Tom Brady
Giselle's career bombs and Tom's fitness program is investigated by the FDA...leaving him penniless and living on the streets. He demands $40M for 2019. Deal?
aa8per1kdo6z.gif

Flowers isn’t worth $17m but if we can get him in the $12 - $13m range I think they do it.

Brown to me is a $9m - $10m player.

J. McCourty isn’t getting close to $5.5m here. At $3m I’d bring him back.

Patterson is nice to have but only at about $2.5m.

Ghost is tricky. He’s had a great career but isn’t as good as he used to be. Do you pay him as a top kicker when he’s on the downside? I don’t think he’s worth $5m going forward. 3 years $10m.

Hogan it was nice to have ya but he had a bad year. Can’t get separation and was a big part of the O’s lack of scoring in the SB. He was getting 1 on 1 and go no separation. I’d let him walk.

Dorsett is a 4th receiver and should be paid as such. Nothing over $2m.

Trey Flowers
NO. LOVE the guy, but too much.

Trent Brown
YES He protects The Franchise.

Jason McCourty
UNDECIDED. Function of draft and eval of HeWhoDidNot Play this season. Reconsidering, NO so as to save cap $.

Cordarrelle Patterson
YES. Another year in the system and he will break out. Similar to The Squirrel's seasoning before emerging. And no, I don't expect greatness just a solid improvement as a wideout. He's a threat that Josh knows how to utilize.

Stephen Gostkowski
YES

Phillip Dorsett
YES unless a shiny new tool wideout falls to us in the draft. If so, adios.

Chris Hogan
Is he worth $3M? He is 30 and does not appear to be trending in the right direction.
NO

Malcom Brown
NO Draft or FA

Eric Rowe

NO Used to be a fan. Have thrown in the towel.

Ryan Allen

YES Did you see the punt placements in the SB defensive duel?

BONUS

Rob Gronkowski
Is he worth $12M if he decides to continue playing? Releasing him would only be a dead cap hit of $2M. Supposing they restructure his deal, is he worth $8M? What is he worth?
NO for 12 YES for 8 Expect Gronk, Inc. to turn down 8

Dwayne Allen
Is he worth $4.5M? There is no dead cap hit from releasing him from his current salary at $7M, which is a likely move. They would need to restructure.
NO. To his credit he was a top range blocker.

Julian Edelman
Julian Edelman forgets who he is, believes he is Antonio Brown, and texts Bill "pay up bro, or imma do me". Is he worth $8.5M for one year with incentives? He is currently at $5.5, a massive discount.
YES 8.5 for a one year but I expect the Pats to be creative here and we won't see 8 hit the cap but we will see more than 5.5

Danny Amendola
NO Loved Mr Money in the playoffs but he's another year older. Separation a bigger issue a year older.

Dorsett, yes
Patterson yes
Flowers?? That’s a lot tougher answer
Brown. No
Edelman yes
Gronk yes
Allen yes
Gostkowski yes

The rest are maybes.

Can’t think of many players I’d want for 17M+

Can you imagine how many quality pieces that buys ?

Beddard stated that Flowers is rarely double-teamed.

4 for 60 for flowers. Thats my price and im sticking to it.

Trey Flowers

Trent Brown

Jason McCourty

Cordarrelle Patterson

Stephen Gostkowski

Phillip Dorsett

Chris Hogan

Malcom Brown

Eric Rowe

Ryan Allen

BONUS

Rob Gronkowski

Dwayne Allen

Julian Edelman

Danny Amendola

Tom Brady

Trey Flowers- NO 4/60m

Trent Brown- YES 4/$48m

Jason McCourty - NO $3m

Cordarrelle Patterson -NO $3m

Stephen Gostkowski- I dont know. Cap is up and $4.5 for a kicker is mouse nuts. Maybe for 1yr $4m

Phillip Dorsett- YES $3m

Chris Hogan- WR FA market is thin. Tough to tell. very average player

Malcom Brown- 3m. YES. Not $7m

Eric Rowe- NO. Minimum for vet.

Ryan Allen- YES. Good player

BONUS

Rob Gronkowski- $8m - YES. I think they will protect him if he comes back.

Dwayne Allen- Seems a tad high. Hes useless in the passing game but man what a blocker.

Julian Edelman $8.5? YES but they won't pay him that.

Danny Amendola- YES

Tom Brady- $40m? 1yr?

The defensive line market has a high supply which could help keep Flowers number from getting insanely high. PFF has contract projections, and the top 6 players are all defensive linemen, 5 of them DEs. PFF is sometimes controversial but this lines up with most sites (prior to Nick Foles news.). They have Flowers at 16M and 5 years. As often is the case, though, the Patriots lower guarantees make big free agent signings less likely.

Jadeveon Clowney
Demarcus Lawrence
Dee Ford
Frank Clark
Grady Jarrett
Trey Flowers

I'm so glad I'm not the one making these tough decisions.

With 12 draft picks, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they draft a kicker and/or punter starting in the 4th.

Flowers isn’t worth $17m but if we can get him in the $12 - $13m range I think they do it.

Brown to me is a $9m - $10m player.

J. McCourty isn’t getting close to $5.5m here. At $3m I’d bring him back.

Patterson is nice to have but only at about $2.5m.

Ghost is tricky. He’s had a great career but isn’t as good as he used to be. Do you pay him as a top kicker when he’s on the downside? I don’t think he’s worth $5m going forward. 3 years $10m.

Hogan it was nice to have ya but he had a bad year. Can’t get separation and was a big part of the O’s lack of scoring in the SB. He was getting 1 on 1 and go no separation. I’d let him walk.

Dorsett is a 4th receiver and should be paid as such. Nothing over $2m.

So Trey Flowers is worth $13M and Malcom Brown is worth $10M? Dude...

I think each player is worth whatever the Pats are willing to pay and not a penny more. We'll find out in due time what that is.

Most important signing:

Trent Brown. Offensive line was fantastic this year and he was a BIG part of it. He was better than Solder.

Most obvious release- Hogan

Toughest decision- Gostkowski at 4.5 million

Trey Flowers
No but I thinks he gets close to it as he'll be one of the only FA DE's available due to most of the others getting tagged.

Trent Brown
Yes.

Jason McCourty
Probably not. I think they'll expect Dawson to play plus they have J.C. Jackson and Jonathon Jones.

Cordarrelle Patterson
No.

Stephen Gostkowski
Yes.

Phillip Dorsett
No.

Chris Hogan
Absolutely not.

Malcom Brown
Tough call. The entire D-line's play picked up after the Pittsburgh loss.

Eric Rowe
Absolutely not. The defensive backfield has played so much better without him on the field. I won't miss his two hand touches after the WR makes a falling catch.

Ryan Allen
Yes.

Rob Gronkowski
He's worth it. He made that big time catch in the Super Bowl that set them up for the go ahead score. He may not be like he used to, but he'll take over when he absolutely has to.

Dwayne Allen
Tough call. He's a really good blocker.

Julian Edelman
Absolutely.

Danny Amendola
No. Team needs to inject some youth. They had that nice balance with Malcolm Mitchell.

Tom Brady
Deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back