PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are the Patriots really this Terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.
..... at drafting and/or developing Wide Receivers?

From players like Bethal Johnson, Taylor Price, Aaron Dobson, David Givens and we all remember the Chad Johnson debacle. Remember the Brandon Tate pick, wasn't he picked literally right before Mike Wallace by the Steelers? The same team that ALWAYS seems to have a good grasp on how to draft WRs.

I will give them credit for Edelman and D. Branch, Troy Brown and of course Gronk and Hernandez but other than these guys, who have they really drafted and developed into superstars? Why are the patriots so below average in this state? I see all these other teams, including the Buccaneers (I live in Florida) draft all of this amazing wide receivers and offensive talent. Why has Bill missed on these same talents?

Anyone else feel this way?
BB is the worst

Thought I read the Pats WR coach part times as a car detailer in the Stadium parking lot...mornings

..... at drafting and/or developing Wide Receivers?

From players like Bethal Johnson, Taylor Price, Aaron Dobson, David Givens and we all remember the Chad Johnson debacle. Remember the Brandon Tate pick, wasn't he picked literally right before Mike Wallace by the Steelers? The same team that ALWAYS seems to have a good grasp on how to draft WRs.

I will give them credit for Edelman and D. Branch, Troy Brown and of course Gronk and Hernandez but other than these guys, who have they really drafted and developed into superstars? Why are the patriots so below average in this state? I see all these other teams, including the Buccaneers (I live in Florida) draft all of this amazing wide receivers and offensive talent. Why has Bill missed on these same talents?

Anyone else feel this way?

Umm ... Branch and Givens made a solid 1-2 combo. Givens was not a superstar at all, but for a 7th round pick he contributed a lot.

The patriots are specifically terrible at finding Receivers that excel outside the numbers. Combine that with a qb and an offensive system that emphasizes inside to outside progression reads and you have a recipe for our current situation.

Also, i think this offense tries to be too efficient(sounds crazy right). With a guy like harry you have to throw him some 50/50 balls and back shoulder passes and allow him to use his measurables a raw ability to make plays that can energize an otherwise lethargic offense. Brady needs to spread em out ,sling it and start throwing what i like to call "fu×k it passes". Jonathan jones got beat by "fu$k it passes" twice in a row.

Umm ... Branch and Givens made a solid 1-2 combo. Givens was not a superstar at all, but for a 7th round pick he contributed a lot.
For sure, I mentioned Branch and gave credit for him and a few others but....... there's like 4 out of who knows how many they've drafted over the years. Not a great percentage

One area where our WRs have the edge over other teams is a healthy respect for women and children. They may not be the most athletic or the best, but they’re the most non-misogynistic receiving corps in the league. They have truly taken on the identity of our owner, Mr. Kraft, who respects women so much that he offered financial compensation for sexual acts up and including getting his butt finger blasted.

One area where our WRs have the edge over other teams is a healthy respect for women and children. They may not be the most athletic or the best, but they’re the most non-misogynistic receiving corps in the league. They have truly taken on the identity of our owner, Mr. Kraft, who respects women so much that he offered financial compensation for sexual acts up and including getting his butt finger blasted.
I literally hollered at this.

Cliffhanger thread titles are the worst. Except for the one I did today in my AB thread, which no one seemed to appreciate.
we need more baseball threads in the main forum.

we need more baseball threads in the main forum.
The Yankees are looking to bolster their pitching staff. Perhaps a conversation about that is in order?

That is a myth that has been debunked so many times. I don't understand how the Steelers being this supposedly amazing WR drafting team keeps coming up. They have had their fair share of duds. But they also take many more swings at it.

Here is the list of WR the Pats have taken in the first four rounds in the BB era:

Branch 02, Johnson 03, Jackson 06, Tate 09, Price 10, Dobson 13, Boyce 14, Mitchell 16, Harry 19

Steelers:

Burress 00, Randle 02, Gibson 05, Holmes 06, Reid 06, Sweed 08, Wallace 09, Sanders 10, Wheaton 13, Archer 14, Bryant 14, Coates 15, Schuster 17, Washington 18, Johnson 19

It is 9 picks vs. 15 picks. And if you look at the list of their WRs I think it is obvious why I refer to them ALWAYS having a good grasp to be a myth.

The complexity to learn the Pats offense on a rookie who comes into the league has been well documented. Unlike veterans they come in and are not only trying to understand the playbook, but have to upgrade their physique, polish and clean up their fundamentals (route running, how to use your body, ect.) and figure out life as a pro.

It doesn't help that projections from college to the pros are a crapshoot even if some snake oil salesmen want to tell you differently. If they weren't then we would not have as many busts every year through the league.

Also in the end -- and maybe most importantly -- roster building doesn't exclusively consist of the draft. If you can find pieces that can do specific roles for you -- based on proven NFL level film -- for a reasonable price (be it FA or a trade) then your assets are often better spend on other positions in the draft.

And lets not get started how much of it also is affected by long term thinking in terms of having continuity for players that will leave through FA.

The last point is why the lack of TE picks has been so baffling. The pipeline there has been ignored for too long. But as with everything I am sure there was a reasonable logic behind prioritizing other positions. I am sure nobody just "forgot" about it or thought it was "unimportant".

Ultimately roster building is a bunch of compromises given the constraints set by the league in terms of roster size and cap space.
Am I crazy or is Antonio Brown missing from the list? As far as the Steelers drafting more receivers that’s obvious but at least they’ve hit a few home runs. We have really only hit on Givens and Branch in Bill’s tenure (Bill said he didn’t know where Edelman would play when he drafted him). The Steelers hit a home run with Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, Mike Wallace, and JuJu. They also got some good receivers with Burress, Wheaton, Randle El, Santonio Holmes and Martavious Bryant (when he managed to stay on the field). Sure they have strikeouts but at least they have some good and great receivers to show for it.

The Yankees are looking to bolster their pitching staff. Perhaps a conversation about that is in order?
tunescribe would appreciate it. he loves baseball threads in the main forum.

Am I crazy or is Antonio Brown missing from the list? As far as the Steelers drafting more receivers that’s obvious but at least they’ve hit a few home runs. We have really only hit on Givens and Branch in Bill’s tenure (Bill said he didn’t know where Edelman would play when he drafted him). The Steelers hit a home run with Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, Mike Wallace, and JuJu. They also got some good receivers with Burress, Wheaton, Randle El, Santonio Holmes and Martavious Bryant (when he managed to stay on the field). Sure they have strikeouts but at least they have some good and great receivers to show for it.
Brown was a 6th round pick. The list was for the first four rounds.

Harry has played in a total of two games and has never had the speed to create separation. His ceiling will be Boldin and his floor will be complete trash. But he’s a guy that the game is currently moving at a million miles per hour for on the field and he’s forgetting to do some of the little things (like running a route correctly) because of that. In other words, a rookie. A rookie playing in the hardest offense in the NFL to learn. He’ll have to learn to use that big body of his to pull down the ball. Hopefully he will, and quickly. But don’t blame him for the growing pains of the offense that are brought on because they’re trying to work in rookies at the WR positions. Blame the people who decided that this was the way to go while hoping they’ll eventually end up being right.

Boldin was much leaner. When i see harry i see almost a tight end body with muscle. Haven’t seen anything down the field yet. He’s slow off the line. I always felt that boldin overachieved. Amazing he had that type of career. Well sometimes it comes down to route running as well.

Speaking of Chad Jackson and the ‘06 draft, Here’s some interesting tidbits:

Greg Jennings admitted on the Colin Cowherd show he was furious the Pats drafted Jackson over him.

D’Angelo Williams has admitted many times he hates the Pats for taking Maroney over him. Williams thought the Pats were drafting him.

Talk about two brutal misses. What could’ve been.

Last edited:
I would add james washington to that list with the Steelers. He’s coming on lately. Diontae Johnson has over 400 yards which is not bad. Those guys know how to draft wrs.

That is a myth that has been debunked so many times. I don't understand how the Steelers being this supposedly amazing WR drafting team keeps coming up. They have had their fair share of duds. But they also take many more swings at it.

Here is the list of WR the Pats have taken in the first four rounds in the BB era:

Branch 02, Johnson 03, Jackson 06, Tate 09, Price 10, Dobson 13, Boyce 14, Mitchell 16, Harry 19

Steelers:

Burress 00, Randle 02, Gibson 05, Holmes 06, Reid 06, Sweed 08, Wallace 09, Sanders 10, Wheaton 13, Archer 14, Bryant 14, Coates 15, Schuster 17, Washington 18, Johnson 19

It is 9 picks vs. 15 picks. And if you look at the list of their WRs I think it is obvious why I refer to them ALWAYS having a good grasp to be a myth.

The complexity to learn the Pats offense on a rookie who comes into the league has been well documented. Unlike veterans they come in and are not only trying to understand the playbook, but have to upgrade their physique, polish and clean up their fundamentals (route running, how to use your body, ect.) and figure out life as a pro.

It doesn't help that projections from college to the pros are a crapshoot even if some snake oil salesmen want to tell you differently. If they weren't then we would not have as many busts every year through the league.

Also in the end -- and maybe most importantly -- roster building doesn't exclusively consist of the draft. If you can find pieces that can do specific roles for you -- based on proven NFL level film -- for a reasonable price (be it FA or a trade) then your assets are often better spend on other positions in the draft.

And lets not get started how much of it also is affected by long term thinking in terms of having continuity for players that will leave through FA.

The last point is why the lack of TE picks has been so baffling. The pipeline there has been ignored for too long. But as with everything I am sure there was a reasonable logic behind prioritizing other positions. I am sure nobody just "forgot" about it or thought it was "unimportant".

Ultimately roster building is a bunch of compromises given the constraints set by the league in terms of roster size and cap space.

Yeah let’s give a sample size and leave out the fact Steelers drafted AB in the 6th round

Steelers have drafted plenty of very good WRs

Antonio Brown
Plaxico Burress
Santonio Holmes
Juju Smith Schuster
Mike Wallace
Emanuel Sanders
James Washington looks like the next stud

That list above blows away what the patriots have done

Nkeal was a jump ball WR in college who never could get separation there. A horrible pick when deebo Samuel was sitting there whose known as an excellent route runner in college with elite separation ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back