PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone Who Criticizes the Coaches is a Moron

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a difference between keeping the team in the game, and winning the game. That is the level that the Patriots defense needs to get to so they can be considered an elite championship caliber defense.

I told you time and time again how dependent the defense is on the offense and you and no one believed me. It showed yesterday.
I agree that the defense has a ways to go to improve into being a top 5 elite defense I have never argued that it was an elite defense more opportunistic and complimentary.

The defense was not dependent on the offense yesterday. They played well enough to give the offense chances to win outside of the one demoralizing drive and special teams stuff ups.

Get on the special teams and the offense for their pathetic efforts yesterday not the defense. Clearly you don't care nor do you learn given your broken record rhetoric.

Last edited:
Well this was the problem that I saw coming and why I didnt really believe the Patriots would win the Super Bowl. It was clear all year long that the defense was very dependent on the offense getting them a double digit lead and they could play much more relaxed. Also, they depended on turnovers and I believed that they would not be able to force them in the postseason because #1 the QBs are best in the league and usually dont turn the ball over (proven wrong this weekend), but also because of the Patriots lack of playoff experience. This was the case, the offense struggled and the Patriots fell behind forcing the defense to come up with big stops, and when it mattered most the defense failed. Also, the Patriots didnt force any turnovers, credit Sanchez and the Jets.

While the offense struggled, championship caliber teams have units that can bail the others out when they struggle. This is where the Patriots failed this year, their defense was not good enough to win a championship. It was good, but not good enough. The offense bailed the defense out in a few games this year, but the defense really has never bailed out the offense. The defense had their chance to prove themselves yesterday and they could not do it.

Defense bailed out the offense when James Sanders picked off Manning.

There is a difference between keeping the team in the game, and winning the game. That is the level that the Patriots defense needs to get to so they can be considered an elite championship caliber defense.

I told you time and time again how dependent the defense is on the offense and you and no one believed me. It showed yesterday.

The defense put us in a position to win the game, while special teams and the offense just **** their pants all game.

Defense bailed out the offense when James Sanders picked off Manning.

:confused: The offense gave the defense a 17 point second half lead... Where is the defense bailing out the offense.

Well this was the problem that I saw coming and why I didnt really believe the Patriots would win the Super Bowl. It was clear all year long that the defense was very dependent on the offense getting them a double digit lead and they could play much more relaxed. Also, they depended on turnovers and I believed that they would not be able to force them in the postseason because #1 the QBs are best in the league and usually dont turn the ball over (proven wrong this weekend), but also because of the Patriots lack of playoff experience. This was the case, the offense struggled and the Patriots fell behind forcing the defense to come up with big stops, and when it mattered most the defense failed. Also, the Patriots didnt force any turnovers, credit Sanchez and the Jets.

While the offense struggled, championship caliber teams have units that can bail the others out when they struggle. This is where the Patriots failed this year, their defense was not good enough to win a championship. It was good, but not good enough. The offense bailed the defense out in a few games this year, but the defense really has never bailed out the offense. The defense had their chance to prove themselves yesterday and they could not do it.

You're basically correct. You're also wasting your time.

Last edited:
I agree that the defense has a ways to go to improve into being a top 5 elite defense I have never argued that it was an elite defense more opportunistic and complimentary.

The defense was not dependent on the offense yesterday. They played well enough to give the offense chances to win outside of the one demoralizing drive and special teams stuff ups.

Get on the special teams and the offense for their pathetic efforts yesterday not the defense. Clearly you don't care nor do you learn given your broken record rhetoric.

The defense was not opportunistic yesterday. The biggest possessions for the Patriots defense they failed. After the Patriots scored to end the 3rd quarter cutting the game to a one score game, the following possession the Jets marched down the field 75 yards and scored.

The defense played well enough to win provided the offense played well, but in order to win championships you need to be able to win when one unit struggles.

I agree the offense was terrible yesterday, but this shows that what happens in the regular season doesnt mean anything. People said well they averaged 31 points in the regular season, so they will get that in the playoffs. People were not worried about a bad game from the offense. The defense gave up 28 points, they could have held the Jets to FGs instead of TDs. The defense played poorly, but not as poorly as the offense and special teams. All three units are to blame for the loss, they all contributed to it.

The defense put us in a position to win the game, while special teams and the offense just **** their pants all game.

That shows why the Patriots didnt have what it takes to win a championship this year. The defense was far too dependent on the offense all season long.

Upstater always makes excuses for the team.The bottom line is that the team failed!!!Even with the Youth.:rolleyes:

Oh they failed?

Huh, I thought they won!

Wow, you're a truth-teller.

Saying tha you shouldn't expect to win the SB each year is not an excuse. It's reality. It's fans like you who are spoiled who can't deal with reality.

That shows why the Patriots didnt have what it takes to win a championship this year. The defense was far too dependent on the offense all season long.

Can you tell me what playoff caliber team isn't dependent on their offense to win games?

Last edited:
The defense was not opportunistic yesterday. The biggest possessions for the Patriots defense they failed. After the Patriots scored to end the 3rd quarter cutting the game to a one score game, the following possession the Jets marched down the field 75 yards and scored.

The defense played well enough to win provided the offense played well, but in order to win championships you need to be able to win when one unit struggles.

I agree the offense was terrible yesterday, but this shows that what happens in the regular season doesnt mean anything. People said well they averaged 31 points in the regular season, so they will get that in the playoffs. People were not worried about a bad game from the offense. The defense gave up 28 points, they could have held the Jets to FGs instead of TDs. The defense played poorly, but not as poorly as the offense and special teams. All three units are to blame for the loss, they all contributed to it.
You're right, the defense was not opportunistic nor were they complimentary. They were the best of the three units yesterday and gave the Patriots the best chance to win of the three units. I have not attempted to argue against this and I am now repeating myself for the umpteenth time.

The defense played well enough to win. Nobody could have imagined an F performance from the offense and the special teams. I suggest to you that slim to no defense could have covered over a performance such as the offense put up on Sunday. Even the Ravens and Steelers vaunted D's surrendered big points totals. Both of their offenses fired at some point in the game. The Patriots never did. The Steelers D was able to make plays when it mattered and the Pats weren't. It's no surprise that teams with four of the best defenses are in the conference championship matches but all of them had their offenses fire.

Also I take some ire with your issue about it not mattering during the regular season. Of course it matters. Everything that is done in the regular season is aimed at the post-season. Right now it's not a regular season thing at all. It's a post season choker thing with the Patriots. 0-3 in the last 3 playoffs with the same mistakes repeated.

The Patriots are not a clutch post-season team anymore and we'd have replaced the Colts as the biggest chokers in the NFL if it weren't for the Colts still choking.

I'm still bitterly disappointed given what this team accomplished and accomplished against good sides. Whilst I agree with some of your commentary I don't agree with the philosophy of it.

Last edited:
Can you tell me what team isn't dependent on their offense to win games?

The Patriots were TOO dependent on the offense. It is okay to depend on the offense to get you points, but cannot depend on a double digit lead every week like they got most weeks in the regular season.

The Packers offense didnt play that great last week in Philly, but their defense stepped up and got the W. Thats part of the reason why the Packers are still playing, they have the ability to have one unit step up when one doesnt play like its capable.

The Patriots were TOO dependent on the offense. It is okay to depend on the offense to get you points, but cannot depend on a double digit lead every week like they got most weeks in the regular season.

We needed points this game, not a double digit lead or stupid mistakes.

We were within 1 score at the end of the game. Take away Brady's early interception, Crumpler's dropped TD pass, Chung's fake punt, Going for it on 4-13 instead of kicking a field goal and then trying an onside kick which gave the ball to the jets on our 20, we would have at least gone into OT if not won. All of that was on the offense/special teams. Meanwhile the defense was playing a decent game.

The Packers offense didnt play that great last week in Philly, but their defense stepped up and got the W. Thats part of the reason why the Packers are still playing, they have the ability to have one unit step up when one doesnt play like its capable.

1. The Packers offense had the lead over the Eagles from the beginning of the game.

2. If the eagles hadn't missed 2 easy field goals of less than 40 yards they would have won!

Last edited:

Please, for God's sake, listen to Deus.

We needed points this game, not a double digit lead or stupid mistakes.

We were within 1 score at the end of the game. Take away Brady's early interception, Crumpler's dropped TD pass, Chung's fake punt, Going for it on 4-13 instead of kicking a field goal and then trying an onside kick which gave the ball to the jets on our 20, we would have at least gone into OT if not won. All of that was on the offense/special teams. Meanwhile the defense was playing a decent game.

1. The Packers offense had the lead over the Eagles from the beginning of the game.

2. If the eagles hadn't missed 2 easy field goals of less than 40 yards they would have won!
For some reason it's sexy to hang on the defense rather than admit it was a failure of the entire Patriots system yesterday. That's what is griping me with the conduct of some people here using the I told you so mentality.

For all of the crow that I've gladly eaten over the past 2 years, I still hate that trade and I probably always will. Damn right we could have used him today.
Hind sight being twenty-twenty, I think you have the benefit of being right.

At the time I assumed Belichick made the right call, anticipating an elite player's exorbitant demand. But by golly we sure could have used a player like that. Could have changed the whole dynamic.

Wolfork and Seymour together by themselves are an impressive tandem. We needed Seymour. He's the guy who almost sacked the Giants QB in the SB--but was given a wicked facemask penalty. That wasn't called.

For some reason it's sexy to hang on the defense rather than admit it was a failure of the entire Patriots system yesterday. That's what is griping me with the conduct of some people here using the I told you so mentality.

Because it's easy to just say the patriots are to dependent on their offense to win. It's basically a way of blaming the defense for a loss when they played well and excusing the offense when they played terrible. Pure nonsense.

If this team had a QB who didn't melt in the playoffs and ILB's who could actually cover the middle of the field there would be a game in Foxboro next weekend.

I blame special teams mostly, and that's Pat Chung. But, beyond that, the Patriots D has to get to the place where, when a sputtering offense makes the score 14-11, the D needs to make a stop.

The old D would have. I'm not blasting the D, they played well. It's OK to say they don't have the horses yet, especially a pass rush. In the past, the Pats O has similarly sputtered, but the D picked them up.

Think of all the sputtering offense games, Raiders 01, Steelers 01, Rams 01, Titans 03, Chargers 06, Chargers 07.

Special teams and defense picked them up and made the difference.

Patriots just need more players.

Yesterday, despite sputtering, the Pats could have won when the score was 14-11.

How about we put Welker or an Edelman or a BJGE there instead of Chung who isn't used to recieving snaps/direct snaps

I was kind of wondering why they didn't run a RB pass with Brady in at running back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference