PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone see Cameron Heyward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patsmaniac

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I have been reading the draft posts on this site and others evaluating DE's. His performance last night was exceptional. I know it only one game, but, if he can be motivated and can gain a few pounds maybe we are looking very closely at him.

He was a single man crew last night.

I have been reading the draft posts on this site and others evaluating DE's. His performance last night was exceptional. I know it only one game, but, if he can be motivated and can gain a few pounds maybe we are looking very closely at him.

This is exactly why I would stay away from Heyward. He has all the talent in the world but lacks consistency and motivation. I couldnt justify spending a top 50 pick on a guy that I dont know whether or not he is going to show up to play. If he lacks motivation now how is he gonna be when he gets paid. Like i just posted in another thread, give me a guy with average talent that goes all out for 60 min over a guy that only plays when he wants too. There is no doubt he is a talented player but there are too many question marks for me to take him.

You're exactly right, #75 Vince.

One Kenneth Sims is enough for any organization.

Kind of a moot point. I don't see how he makes it to #17 now. At minimum DEN, BUF, WAS and CLE are all probably looking for a guy just like Heyward and his availability may well trump whatever their other perceived critical needs may be.

Heyward has been slipping like no other on draft boards. He has little to no chance at being a 1st round pick, and there's a slight chance he falls all the way to the 3rd round, he's an example of a guy who should have entered as an underclassman when he was the flavor of the month.

Hayward is Vernon Gholston's clone. Looks great, big body, speed but he'll flop in the NFL.

You dont pass on talent like that.The same was said about Carlos Dunlap and he has had a great rookie season.I think BB would do wonders with him.

I saw Heyward eat Love's lunch last night on the outside. For all those that wanted to draft Love, he is terrible at OT and Heyward proved it. Love might be an OG in the NFL, but he is horrible at OT.

On the inside I saw Heyward abuse a true freshman.

Not sure if that qualifies as a monster game or just a guy abusing inferior competition.

Anyone who thinks Heyward isn't as talented as he looked last night should stop watching football.

So Heyward has a great game and now he is all of a sudden a hot and cold player who lacks motivation?

IMO he is a good fit for New England...

Pass rush: Though not a true outside pass-rush threat, he will pressure the quarterback from anywhere on the line. Lines up on either end, as well as at the five-technique. Uses quickness off the snap and excellent length to split double-teams, get inside of linemen when man-up, or push back guards into the pocket. Agile enough to be effective on twists from the outside. Running backs and tight ends are no match against Heyward in pass protection. Tough one-on-one matchup for guards inside due to his lateral quickness, hustle and club move. Corrals and punishes quarterbacks in the backfield, closing quickly and exploding into the tackle. Inconsistent disengaging from blocks; better left tackles can stand him up and latch on with impunity. Can be pushed back with an initial punch but keeps coming to provide a strong secondary rush. Not a great threat to turn the corner from the edge. Forces tackle upfield and can spin inside to prevent scrambles or pressure quarterbacks stepping up into the pocket. Has the length to affect passing lanes when unable to reach the passer but could get his hands up more often.

Run defense: Strong against the run whether lining up against the guard or tackle. Crashes down to close gaps. Can spin off block if runners cut back against the grain. Crashes down on inside runs, using length to factor get in on some plays. Good punch to knock his man back, attacks the ball when it is in his area. Maintains edge discipline to prevent bootlegs on his side of the field. His height can be used against him, however, as he fails to get low on occasion and loses leverage against stronger guards and double teams. Susceptible to cut blocks, though he is athletic enough to recover and get back into the play. Too strong for tight ends to handle one-on-one, uses leverage and hands to blow through those edge blocks. Only adequate backfield awareness, will be sucked in on misdirection and lacks great change-of-direction agility.

Explosion: Excellent quickness off the snap, splits double teams with ease and provides a rare pop into his blocker's pads to knock him back. Will be first man off the ball when pinning his ears back on the rush. Very difficult for slower linemen to match his combination of strength and explosiveness, makes beating them look easy.

Strength: Flashes great upper body and hand strength, dominating most college linemen with leverage and burst, but does not consistently overwhelm better players. Does not have exceptional muscle definition in his arms. Plays tall inside and lacks a great anchor to maintain his ground against NFL-caliber double-team blocking.

Tackling: Solid tackler who can be explosive and always gives good effort. Leans when closing on the ball to ensure contact, his long arms allow him to wrap consistently. Good hustle downfield on screens, even when getting into the backfield faster than the offensive line wants. Also follows plays down the line, often to the opposite sideline. Best when attacking plays in front of him. Though he can redirect well for his height and size, he doesn't change direction easily and lacks the immediate burst to play on the edge in the NFL.

Intangibles: He has a great attitude, work ethic and immense talent. Well-liked by his teammates and coaches, he has fun playing the game. Hustles, but does not wear down much during the course of the game. Returned to school because he enjoys college, wants to win a national championship and wants to earn the title of the most dominant defensive player in college football. Father, Craig "Ironhead" Heyward was a star running back in college and the NFL. Stepfather is Cory Blackwell, a star basketball player for the Wisconsin Badgers in the 1980's who played one season for the NBA's Seattle SuperSonics.

Anyone who thinks Heyward isn't as talented as he looked last night should stop watching football.
Okay, he's as "talented" as he looked last night ... where has he been all season?

Heyward will be the pick at 17 if he is still available. I think he will be.

This is the one guy that intrigues me and scares me all at the same time. When you look at him, you see a guy who is nfl ready physically. He has a frame to add additional mass and when he is on, he has a skillset that translates to what Richard Seymour did for the Patriots, which would be a huge help to this team. OTOH, he has had some games where he is just a non factor and you have to be concerned about that. Seymour's numbers in college were not impressive either but I did not follow the draft as well back then as I like to think I do now, so I don't know if it the same situation. I will say this, based on scheme fit, talent, and potential, I think he is the best player in this draft for the DE position, it just depends on if BB and Co. think he will continue to work to be that player or just flame out like Gholston. I wish I knew.

I've seen a number of OSU games and maybe I'm crazy, but I haven't seen the inconsistency or lack of effort that many draft sources and others here are talking about. He seems to constantly be causing trouble out there. He may not be putting up jawdropping stats, but from what I've seen, he's a monster. I thought he was the best fit for us at DE before the season and I continue to feel the same. The sack numbers don't bother me and they won't bother the Pats either. You can just look at drafting Seymour as an example. The effort and motor are important though. This is clearly a disputed issue when it comes to Heyward, but I'm in the camp who thinks he shows all the tools and skills that would make him an excellent addition to the team.

Pass rush: Though not a true outside pass-rush threat, he will pressure the quarterback from anywhere on the line. Lines up on either end, as well as at the five-technique. Uses quickness off the snap and excellent length to split double-teams, get inside of linemen when man-up, or push back guards into the pocket. Agile enough to be effective on twists from the outside. Running backs and tight ends are no match against Heyward in pass protection. Tough one-on-one matchup for guards inside due to his lateral quickness, hustle and club move. Corrals and punishes quarterbacks in the backfield, closing quickly and exploding into the tackle. Inconsistent disengaging from blocks; better left tackles can stand him up and latch on with impunity. Can be pushed back with an initial punch but keeps coming to provide a strong secondary rush. Not a great threat to turn the corner from the edge. Forces tackle upfield and can spin inside to prevent scrambles or pressure quarterbacks stepping up into the pocket. Has the length to affect passing lanes when unable to reach the passer but could get his hands up more often.

Run defense: Strong against the run whether lining up against the guard or tackle. Crashes down to close gaps. Can spin off block if runners cut back against the grain. Crashes down on inside runs, using length to factor get in on some plays. Good punch to knock his man back, attacks the ball when it is in his area. Maintains edge discipline to prevent bootlegs on his side of the field. His height can be used against him, however, as he fails to get low on occasion and loses leverage against stronger guards and double teams. Susceptible to cut blocks, though he is athletic enough to recover and get back into the play. Too strong for tight ends to handle one-on-one, uses leverage and hands to blow through those edge blocks. Only adequate backfield awareness, will be sucked in on misdirection and lacks great change-of-direction agility.

Explosion: Excellent quickness off the snap, splits double teams with ease and provides a rare pop into his blocker's pads to knock him back. Will be first man off the ball when pinning his ears back on the rush. Very difficult for slower linemen to match his combination of strength and explosiveness, makes beating them look easy.

Strength: Flashes great upper body and hand strength, dominating most college linemen with leverage and burst, but does not consistently overwhelm better players. Does not have exceptional muscle definition in his arms. Plays tall inside and lacks a great anchor to maintain his ground against NFL-caliber double-team blocking.

Tackling: Solid tackler who can be explosive and always gives good effort. Leans when closing on the ball to ensure contact, his long arms allow him to wrap consistently. Good hustle downfield on screens, even when getting into the backfield faster than the offensive line wants. Also follows plays down the line, often to the opposite sideline. Best when attacking plays in front of him. Though he can redirect well for his height and size, he doesn't change direction easily and lacks the immediate burst to play on the edge in the NFL.

Intangibles: He has a great attitude, work ethic and immense talent. Well-liked by his teammates and coaches, he has fun playing the game. Hustles, but does not wear down much during the course of the game. Returned to school because he enjoys college, wants to win a national championship and wants to earn the title of the most dominant defensive player in college football. Father, Craig "Ironhead" Heyward was a star running back in college and the NFL. Stepfather is Cory Blackwell, a star basketball player for the Wisconsin Badgers in the 1980's who played one season for the NBA's Seattle SuperSonics.

Not trying to police (TRUST ME)... just looking out for you here.

Ian tends to really frown on the posting of Copyrighted material. You may want to edit this post and just put the link in. :)

We passed on the last guy i wanted who had the "pedigree" (and I still lose sleep over it :mad:), hopefully, we dont do it again. I think this kid is going to be a player.

We passed on the last guy i wanted who had the "pedigree" (and I still lose sleep over it :mad:), hopefully, we dont do it again. I think this kid is going to be a player.

Who is this that you are talking about?

Ah, so you were a big Bobby Carpenter fan! Or was it Chris Long? Can't miss with "pedigree"! ;)

(At least we got Matt Slater!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes