PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone else thinking about a trade for a Tampa QB??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffbiologist

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
They have Garcia as their starter and both Griese and McKnown look better than our backups....Cassel is stinking the place out!

Cassel shouldn't be with the Pats when the reg. season starts.

Last edited:
While I've always joked with my buddy the TBB fan about the HUGE QB roster...

Dang. 3 Good ones? Wow.

I'd be crazy not to think about it.

This is the second straight week we've had a thread about picking up a QB from the opposing team on our pre-season schedule.

Minnesota may be on the phone with Tampa soon - It appears Jackson suffered an injury in their game

This is the second straight week we've had a thread about picking up a QB from the opposing team on our pre-season schedule.

Ya but lets face it the Baltimore QB is a joke. Right now I am thinking a 4th rd pick for Griese....maybe even a higher conditional pick if he plays.

Yep.

Brady is our starting QB. If he goes down I say lets see what we have on the bench.

Cassel shouldn't be with the Pats when the reg. season starts.
Cassel shouldn't be with the Pats when the plane from Tampa touches down. But, then again, it's frustration talking on my part. Let's see what happens Friday.

I would rather have a Philadelphia or NY Giants QB.

sims might get cut
would much rather have him at this point than cassel
i think oconnel could eventually be a number 2, but right now i do not feel comfortable with anyone we have on the roster to be an even decent number 2

I dunno, Cassel can really hold that clipboard. Is there any film of Simms holding a clipboard we could use to compare?

Unless Garcia suddenly becomes available, no thanks.

They're going to go with Garcia - Griese - McCown. Simms offers no improvement, and their rookie is more of a longshot than ours is. Their starting QB is old and gimpy, so they're not going to give up Griese or McCown cheap. I have a feeling that, especially after tonight, Tampa Bay will ask more than either of those guy's are worth in a trade. If we want a vet QB we should look elsewhere.

They're going to go with Garcia - Griese - McCown. Simms offers no improvement, and their rookie is more of a longshot than ours is. Their starting QB is old and gimpy, so they're not going to give up Griese or McCown cheap. I have a feeling that, especially after tonight, Tampa Bay will ask more than either of those guy's are worth in a trade. If we want a vet QB we should look elsewhere.

They are a defending division champion (albeit by default in a fraudulent division) with a starting QB who now routinely gets hurt if opponents (or his teamates in practice) look at him harshly. Gruden will not entertain a trade of either of Griese (whom they just traded for in March) or McCown because his job is on the line. Simms would make Cassel's critics miss him. Bill is never going to trade for a veteran backup at this juncture. Tried that with a veteran WR two years ago and got burnt for a 5th. Those who are available have been for some time now and offer no improvement absent a full off season and less than no improvement absent it.

All of the QB's would likely look better in a functional offense. We don't have that at the moment because as they say it all starts and ends in the trenches, and our trenches are preseason crapholes due to injury. It's limiting our ability to run vs. first string defenses, and that puts the QB at a distinct disadvantage. Could Brady make more of it? Since he's a HOF'er probably yeah. But he could also get killed. Cassel is basically taking one for the team (and The Franchise...) in the interim.

They drafted that guy from San Diego that they will be keeping, that makes 4. My guess is they cut Simms(I dont want him anyways) and may explore a trade for Griese/Mcknown. If its not too $$ why not??

They drafted that guy from San Diego that they will be keeping, that makes 4. My guess is they cut Simms(I dont want him anyways) and may explore a trade for Griese/Mcknown. If its not too $$ why not??

Gruden routinely carries 4 QB's. Because he knows on some level he doesn't really have a starter. Garcia can still make things happen, but he's hurt more often than not. If last night was any indication he won't have any trouble stashing that 5th rounder on the PS - nobody is going to claim him at the expense of a roster spot. Chucky traded for Griese in March - no way he trades him given the way Garcia has struggled to stay healthy in TC. And Griese has his own durability issues once he gets on the field so no way they trade McCown if he looks halfway functional. When you don't have a locked in starter this is what you have. They were even looking at Farve for that reason.

If you really feel that we MUST have a vet backup, I'd rather have BB pick of the phone and call Testeverde or Bledsoe. Those guys come for free (no draft picks lost) and could probably do just as good a job if they were ever needed.

I want to see more of Gutierez and O'Connell before deciding how screwed we are at backup QB.

I've seen enough of Cassel though.

I was actually hoping Cassel would look good so we could maybe get something for him, even a late round pick. Now realistically I think we should all be happy just to free up the roster spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back