PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone else feel like it's Jakobi's final season here?

Froob

Independent Investigator & pliable af
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Didn't seem to be much work to get a long term deal done. I think the team may be shifting to faster more explosive players. I think he leaves next season and Thornton takes a bigger role (expecting him to not have a very big one this season).

Didn't seem to be much work to get a long term deal done. I think the team may be shifting to faster more explosive players. I think he leaves next season and Thornton takes a bigger role (expecting him to not have a very big one this season).
50/50 for me, and it all depends on what he would be asking for on the open market, and who else potentially develops to fill his role... Tre Nixon im looking at you this season...

He's not an explosive wr, but is a good possession receiver... converted 42 first downs last year, leading the team (I didnt look up the splits, so I don't know the breakdown of down/distance etc on those 1stD conversions)... but it illustrates that there is some high degree of trust with Mac, and that's a good thing...

I think it's pretty likely that Harry and Agholor are gone next year (Harry likely gone THIS year), which would leave them with Parker and Bourne as the only proven WR's under contract for 2023. If Thornton looks promising that gives you 3. Even if Nixon shows some promise too, then Meyers could still have a role (at the right price) as a 4/5 guy. But my guess is someone would pay him enough to out price him for that, especially since he doesn't really play ST.

I like Meyers and think there's a lot of value to guys that are as reliable as he is (however limited at the ceiling). But my money right now is on them drafting another mid round guy next April and wishing Meyers the best.

It depends on whether anyone emerges from camp and how much he’s looking for per year. Any more than $5M...let him walk. That would put him higher than Bourne who is a way more efficient WR and it’s not even close.

It depends on whether anyone emerges from camp and how much he’s looking for per year. Any more than $5M...let him walk. That would put him higher than Bourne who is a way more efficient WR and it’s not even close.
Agreed, but I would add emerges over the course of the season as a caveat... Don't think that determination can be made on camp/preseason alone... 5m seems a little bit light for a wr but the off-season market will give us the cost indicator next year as the cap grows...

He’s a serviceable WR that likely isn’t going to break the bank. I wouldn’t be surprised for him to stick around long term.

I am thinking unless he has a break out year, he isn't going to have a lot of interest in free agency that will drive him away from the Pats. I think a lot around the league look at him as a Patriots system guy. So unless McDaniels makes a run at him, the Pats will be able to get him back on the cheap.

I am thinking unless he has a break out year, he isn't going to have a lot of interest in free agency that will drive him away from the Pats. I think a lot around the league look at him as a Patriots system guy. So unless McDaniels makes a run at him, the Pats will be able to get him back on the cheap.
Top 20 in receptions with 83... #33 in yards... good route runner... 66% catch percentage... there is a lot to like in that package... If he has a repeat performance this coming season, he will get plenty of interest in free agency... Im not saying he's a ten million dollar a year player, but would 6 to 7.5 surprise me? No, it wouldn't...

Just a reminder that the Pats have almost zero cap space at the moment, and it's hard to envision a contract both sides can live with that wouldn't raise his cap hit.

???

I think the question is whether he will play for us this year.

For next year, if he does well others will likely outbid us.

Top 20 in receptions with 83... #33 in yards... good route runner... 66% catch percentage... there is a lot to like in that package... If he has a repeat performance this coming season, he will get plenty of interest in free agency... Im not saying he's a ten million dollar a year player, but would 6 to 7.5 surprise me? No, it wouldn't...

Patriots WRs have a rep for being system WRs. Remember Edelman had problems getting anyone to take him when the Pats were playing hardball with a contract when he was a free agent and he was forced to come back at a discount. And Meyers is no Edelman.

he is a solid reliable WR that is always open and always catches the ball IMO. If some team offers him a ton of money, then so be it. I would like to have him on the team at a fair price

Patriots WRs have a rep for being system WRs. Remember Edelman had problems getting anyone to take him when the Pats were playing hardball with a contract when he was a free agent and he was forced to come back at a discount. And Meyers is no Edelman.
Edelman was a different type cat... his first few years he was overshadowed by WW... he ran out his deal, and after 2012 he looked around... remember, that was not the JE11 we all know and love... he put up his then best season in 2012, with 235 +/- receiving yards... he came back on a 1 year deal... then signed a 4 year 17m dollar contract after his first 1000 yard season in 2013...

Meyers is going to walk into free agency as a known entity... look at the preposterous prices paid this year...

Edelman was a different type cat... his first few years he was overshadowed by WW... he ran out his deal, and after 2012 he looked around... remember, that was not the JE11 we all know and love... he put up his then best season in 2012, with 235 +/- receiving yards... he came back on a 1 year deal... then signed a 4 year 17m dollar contract after his first 1000 yard season in 2013...

Meyers is going to walk into free agency as a known entity... look at the preposterous prices paid this year...

In 2013, Edelman had 1056 yards and 6 TDs which is better than Meyers has been thus far. And he was also one of the league's top punt returners at that point. And no one wanted him at least not enough to pay him. He made a few visits without a contract offer.

In 2013, Edelman had 1056 yards and 6 TDs which is better than Meyers has been thus far. And he was also one of the league's top punt returners at that point. And no one wanted him at least not enough to pay him. He made a few visits without a contract offer.
I think you are confusing contract years Rob... It was after the 2012 season he was a free agent, and almost went to the Giants... he returned here on a one year deal - up to that point (thru the 2012 season) his best year was a total of 235 yards...

He re-signed for the 2013 season, inking a 1 year deal (which is when he got little notice on the fa market)

After the 1000 yd season (2013), when he became a free agent again the team signed him quickly (March of 2014) to a 4 year 17 million dollar deal

Just a reminder that the Pats have almost zero cap space at the moment, and it's hard to envision a contract both sides can live with that wouldn't raise his cap hit.
Actually, his cap hit should lower from $4M to vet minimum + signing bonus proration based on deals being done nowadays to spread signing bonuses to later years. It can be done and free up cap space.

How do you know he didn't have a contract offer? He may have chosen to come back to the Pats for less money like so many others have (Andrews, Brown, High, Slater, etc.).

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back