PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Any tips on consoling a young Pats fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean you could just show him the 1986 world series and the 2003 ALCS...not anything to do with anything except the absolute pure misery the Boston fan base used to go through.
No one should ever have to live through the ‘86 World Series again. Ever

It's just a game we watch for entertainment.

Not that you can tell from some of the chowdeheads who post here!

I need tips on consoling my coworkers. Everyone thinks the world is over.

Presumably the child was taught to win with grace and perspective, so perhaps it's really the same thing?

Kids? Make them watch the Jets for 2 years. That'll toughen em up.

Anyone over 16? Testosterone pills and a prescription to grow a pair.

The only reason winning is fun is because of the possibility you’ll lose. It’s when you realize how common it is to lose, that you truly start to appreciate wining.
See the classic “A Nice Place to Visit” Twilight Zone episode.

Tell him he’s a chicken little and to go root for another team if he doesn’t like it

Sbow him this board and tell him he's going to grow up to be like some of the yokels here if he doesn't stop crying
tenor.gif

hollywoods-best-slaps-godfather.gif

(Just joking ;))

Nothing that a trip to McDonald's and a Happy Meal wouldn't solve...

Nothing that a trip to McDonald's and a Happy Meal wouldn't solve...

That's messed up man. Sure I understand being disappointed if your kid is a Pats fan, but that doesn't mean ya poison the kid.

In the pantheon of playoff losses this one should be one of the easiest to take. They were not considered serious contenders to win it all and they never had the game in hand, And this year comes after winning it last year and being in 4 of last 5. Letting him know that only 1 of 32 teams wins it all each year should help give him a little perspective.

That's messed up man. Sure I understand being disappointed if your kid is a Pats fan, but that doesn't mean ya poison the kid.

So what do you suggest, a kale shake?

It’s tough, especially for young kids. I was really bad with losses until I was around 21. It’s a tough lesson, but it’s a good lesson to learn at a young age. It’s just sports, it’s not life. I know it sounds simple, and it’s tough for young folks. I remember the 1976 playoff loss to the Raiders, I was 14 and so upset. Had first become a Pat’s fan a year earlier in 1975. But really was invested in that 1976 team.
I was a month away from turning 14 so you're just a bit older than me.

I was always a fan, but I really went ga-ga when Fairbanks put together a tremendously talented team in '74, which started 5-0 and was two excruciating losses to Lou Saban's Bills two weeks apart (sandwiching the Bob Windsor win at Minnesota) away from being 8-0. Mack Herron, Jim Plunkett along with several all time Patriots.

Fairbanks utilized the Plunkett trade to SF - one of the all time heists in sports history - along with his continued shrewd signing and drafting to add several more super Pats and, without any devastating injuries, put it together in '76. Behind Hannah and the rest, we just dominated the line of scrimmage. Rookie Haynes was the straw that stirred the drink on defense (plus punt returns). Three years after implementing the 3-4 we had it down and teams just couldn't deal with it.

The Raiders' first TD, off a silly Russ Francis interception, was a desperate heave from Stabler that Biletnikoff hauled in miraculously in the first half.

You know the rest. But, even then, without internet, cell phones, cable TV etc., the media dismissal, denigration and abuse of the Patriots was sickening. Every other franchise has been trumpeted to the stars just for making the playoffs before and since, but for us it was:

"...and oh by the way the surprising New England Patriots are in the playoffs this year...Moving on to every other team in the league...blah blah blah..."

The robbery of the championship that day merits astronomically more than all the generations of moaning and crying about the immaculate reception, in or out of bounds, the F*ck Rule and one unintentionally blown call for the Saints last year in the midst of other calls in their favor and countless opportunities for them to win that game anyway.

Bob Costas tried to point this fact out, at least to the point that Patriots fans have (and will) never accept or forget what happened, in the pregame of the '85 AFCCG, but as always, nobody cared or listened.

Naturally the six titles help, but unwarranted denigration of the team has only increased.

All the ensuing clownery by Sullivan plus the Tatum hit just poured salt into that one, gaping wound from 1976. Officially declaring that our six titles are more legitimate than any other franchise's in history, along with winning another Super Bowl donning our real logo and uniforms, would only begin to set the historical record straight.

That’s the thing, I’ve seen him get upset when he strikes out, when he loses at other things but I’ve never seen him get so upset after a loss. The worst part is he has absolutely no control over the Patriots whereas everything else in life he has some relative control to his successes and failures. It’s like he placed his worth, value and identity in a football team.
Me? I'd go all in. There's endless colorful and fun history with the Pats franchise, and lots more great players and big wins than losses, even leading up to this century. It's also a good opportunity to teach him about life, propaganda (which is nothing new), and personal integrity, which Steve Grogan, for example oozes and which makes him one of the great sports role models.

Doug Flutie, too. Grogan is an example of how without the benefit of good fortune, you could be Tom Brady but life didn't let you. Ditto for Flutie, although Doug at least got a legit shot in Canada and rewrote the record books.

So what do you suggest, a kale shake?

Don't knock those shakes. If ya never tried 'em, pick up a juicer and go to town with veggies n fruits. Just take it easy on the fruits cause you get a serious sugar high n crash.

That stuff is awesome. After a few days ya feel like 10 years younger.

*Disclaimer: make sure you have regular access to a bathroom throughout the day.

When I was 10 we lost in Denver and it killed our chance at a 3 peat. By then I had seen and remembered 3 superbowls and no playoff losses. Brady and Belli were 10-0. I felt entitled like we were invincible and couldn’t lose. Not gonna lie I cried a little.
So did Deion.

I remember the 67 Red Sox' World Series loss even though I was only 5. I vividly remember the 75 Red Sox World Series - I will swear to my grave that that was catcher interference. Then came the 1976 Patriots loss to the Raiders where, even on my snowy tiny non-HD TV screen, I could see that Russ Francis was interfered with and that it was not roughing the passer. Boston fans were truly screwed in 2 big games in a short period of time. For a long time, I gave up on the Red Sox & Patriots over those screw-jobs by the referees/umpires. I was very cynical about football refereeing... maybe I still am.

It's Ok for him to be bummed out. It's human nature. There's always next year. If your son continues to be depressed, do something he really likes. Get his mind off of it. Time will deaden his disappointment.

But truth be told, even though I was in my 40's, I'm still bummed out by that 2007 Super Bowl. I still cannot watch replays of the helmet catch. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes