PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Any chance that the Patriots could possibly lure TE Gonzalez back for one more year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

supafly

Eff you, Shula
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I know that we've talked previously around the trade deadline a couple of months ago, but IF there were any chance whatsoever of any team having the capacity to bring him back for one final season, one would think that Brady/Belichick etc would be it.

Gonzalez recently spoke of the situation with Rob Gronkowski and how players need to avoid going low when tackling, so that's how I began to think more about it.

As we know and have heard many, many times before, Gonzalez is the ultimate joker TE (as Gruden reminded us on MNF a few days ago). He would bring a lot back to this offense, and we could also avoid having to rely on Gronkowski for obvious reasons, even if they are different players in terms of blocking, speed, etc.

Any chance at all that we could do this? Would there be any chance whatsoever? Belichick typically avoids going after higher priced FA's, but this may be a rare case where there would be mutual interest and the player's leadership and experience could warrant opening up the checkbook a bit more.

Re: Semi-OT: Any chance that we could possibly lure TE Gonzalez back for one more yea

I don't think it is possible. He is still an elite player but I have heard interviews from him about how he is really ready to hang it up. After coming so close last year, he was guilted into playing this year by his buddies, Matt and co.

Coming here would result in him uprooting his family, leaving a dome, and learning a whole new system.

If we want a free agent te, I would go all in for Scott Chandler. Outside of Ebron, I don't think there is a better option.

Re: Semi-OT: Any chance that we could possibly lure TE Gonzalez back for one more yea

I do understand that, and there are things that I agree with you about such as moving etc. I don't think it'd be that big of a deal to leave the dome as he played with KC for many yrs and is a tough, hard-nosed football player. I do however, get your point for sure...

That said, he also seemed to recently leave the door open last week with his comments about "I could definitely play one more season at a high level if I wanted to." If the situation and the money were right....it could certainly be worth pondering long and hard, particularly in an environment such as this one who regularly competes for that elusive SB every season.

We've seen Belichick coddle older veterans before in terms of allowing them to show up to TC when they wanted to, holding them out of practice during the week, etc; and I think that Gonzalez may fit into the category of someone who he may attempt to have a conversation with, if he chose to of course.

After Brian Waters gave us the cold shoulder, I just don't know. I wonder if Waters would give us a glowing recommendation. These long time KC players probably keep in touch.

After Brian Waters gave us the cold shoulder, I just don't know. I wonder if Waters would give us a glowing recommendation. These long time KC players probably keep in touch.

I'm personally not worried about getting the cold shoulder treatment from one of the most passionate, experienced, and all around "good guys" of the entire NFL in Tony Gonzalez, as I think he has a ton of admiration for Belichick, Brady, and the organization in general.

My concern would be whether or not we could lure him back for one more year, and/or any salary cap implications and heightened cost, as I think those are the obvious barriers; most of all whether or not Gonzelez would even consider it.

will his family make the move to Boston is the money right and how far can the pats go this year in the playoffs with a team full of injuries, I think that's what he will look at if the pats go after him but IMO the pats will sign a jag vet pass catching TE and maybe even Draft one with a late round pick

Nope, he's done. First ballot HOF and a good guy, but if you listen to him he has had enough, he's moving on.

I know that we've talked previously around the trade deadline a couple of months ago, but IF there were any chance whatsoever of any team having the capacity to bring him back for one final season, one would think that Brady/Belichick etc would be it.

Gonzalez recently spoke of the situation with Rob Gronkowski and how players need to avoid going low when tackling, so that's how I began to think more about it.

As we know and have heard many, many times before, Gonzalez is the ultimate joker TE (as Gruden reminded us on MNF a few days ago). He would bring a lot back to this offense, and we could also avoid having to rely on Gronkowski for obvious reasons, even if they are different players in terms of blocking, speed, etc.

Any chance at all that we could do this? Would there be any chance whatsoever? Belichick typically avoids going after higher priced FA's, but this may be a rare case where there would be mutual interest and the player's leadership and experience could warrant opening up the checkbook a bit more.

Based on curiosity and a lack of college football knowledge is there any promising TE's in the draft? We need one and if there is it seems far more logical than banking on Gonzalez for one year...if that could even happen.

Based on curiosity and a lack of college football knowledge is there any promising TE's in the draft? We need one and if there is it seems far more logical than banking on Gonzalez for one year...if that could even happen.

I don't think there's any Tony Gonzalez out there but Jace Amaro would replace the prisoner's role pretty well. He has much more height (Amaro-6'5- the prisoner 6'1) and he's really a big WR with TE size. Belichick likes Te's with high picks because he values rare athletic ability, so he would probably be on the short list if he is still on the board in the first (right now he's too high) Belichick could decide to go blue collar with the back-up TE, but if he wants to return to the 2 TE model they had then he is going to have to find the talent for the 2nd spot in the draft, paying a guy like Graham is out of the question, even if he were to become available. Eric Ebron and Austin Sefarian Jenkins are the other two top TE prospects getting first round love right now.

I don't think there's any Tony Gonzalez out there but Jace Amaro would replace the prisoner's role pretty well. He has much more height (Amaro-6'5- the prisoner 6'1) and he's really a big WR with TE size. Belichick likes Te's with high picks because he values rare athletic ability, so he would probably be on the short list if he is still on the board in the first (right now he's too high) Belichick could decide to go blue collar with the back-up TE, but if he wants to return to the 2 TE model they had then he is going to have to find the talent for the 2nd spot in the draft, paying a guy like Graham is out of the question, even if he were to become available. Eric Ebron and Austin Sefarian Jenkins are the other two top TE prospects getting first round love right now.

That guy Amaro sounds very interesting but obviously there are holes on the DL & OL which I think may be a bigger priority than TE. Tough call but we need a good solid TE other than Gronk IMO if you cant count on the big man to play a full season.

Barring a free agent signing (or trade to accumulate picks) or two, I don't see how we take a tight end in the second, let alone the first.

Maybe it's just the injuries making it seem like depth is an issue on ol/dl, but I think this team needs to invest in some talented snot blowers. WR seems set. Ol/dl, lb, dB. Not necessarily in that order. If we sign some jag vets at those positions, then bpa and a high tight end wouldn't look so crazy.

That guy Amaro sounds very interesting but obviously there are holes on the DL & OL which I think may be a bigger priority than TE. Tough call but we need a good solid TE other than Gronk IMO if you cant count on the big man to play a full season.

Amaro is definitely an interesting prospect but it's unlikely he will be there, especially as the 2nd TE becomes a more prominent piece of many team's offenses. One thing that does work in the Patriots favor though is the shredding process all these player go through, the fault finding process is extensive and exhaustive and although he's drawing praise right now it could be a completely different story 2 months from now.

I'd take Gonzalez in a second. As far as him moving his family, yes I can see that being an issue, but its not like he hasn't done it before, plus its only for a season. Guy can still play at a high level, and teaming him with Gronk would be scary.

Despite what Terrell Suggs says about us, a lot of players would cherish the opportunity coming here. Dillon, Moss, Seau, Adrian Wilson. I could see Gonzo getting giddy about playing with Brady.

Amaro is definitely an interesting prospect but it's unlikely he will be there, especially as the 2nd TE becomes a more prominent piece of many team's offenses. One thing that does work in the Patriots favor though is the shredding process all these player go through, the fault finding process is extensive and exhaustive and although he's drawing praise right now it could be a completely different story 2 months from now.

I love Amaro, but I think there's a good chance he stays another year at TT

Gonzalez will return only with Terrell Owens and Curtis Martin as part of a package deal. Randy Moss is upset over being excluded, but he's past his prime.

1 year deal and done it's not a good deal looking for the future of the franchise. I'd rather sign another FA long term or draft.

IMO we are far off from being able to go back to the 2 TE model and anything we do at the position will need to take being a starter into equation as there is a good chance Gronk wont be ready to start the season sure there is a good chance he will but with ACLs it is also common not to be fully right for another year after that. Also giving his injury history not sure we can count on him. I am not sure we can count on a rookie to be the starter week one if Gronk is not ready.

So IMO we need to be sure we have at least one starting caliber TE that we can expect to be healthy before we start worrying about 2 TE offense. To this note Tony G would be perfect as he would allow us to have that and when Gronk comes back we can then start up the 2 TE offense again. Problem is Tony G has to be a little gun shy about giving it one more go after this last one more go didnt work out so well.

Other than an option like Tony G or some other high priced free agent I think a 2 pronged aproach would make the most sense which to me would be a 3rd or fourth rounder to develope for the future and a cheaper free agent a player who has proven to be a capable starter but will not command huge dollars. Bottom line is Gronk is the position and we dont have a lot of free cash this offseason so back up TE needs to be filled cheaply but effectively. Tony G by no means would be cheap but it would be a one year thing which should be easy to work around from a cap perspective.

Waters didn't want to honour his contract. The team did nothing wrong. And he certainly got quite a few veteran perks despite not being a Patriot for long. In a sport where some people can act "insulted" by offers of "only" $3M a year, you can't take every insulted player that seriously.

And FWIW, Tommy Kelly consulted Richard Seymour before signing with the Patriots. I thought that would have been the kiss of death but he heard enough that he signed on the dotted line.

Still, I think if Gonzalez wanted to play one more year for a contender, he'd go back to Atlanta. He knows the system and personnel, he'd believe a healthy Julio Jones and Roddy White, as well as a top-10 draft pick may help bring them back up to contender status.

I just don't see him coming here.

I would love to have Gonzalez here for a year maybe even 2. I think he is an excellent player who keeps himself in fantastic shape and would a great addition to our locker room. At 37 years old he has 79 receptions for 803 receiving yards and 8 touchdowns in addition 54 of his receptions have gone for a first down which means 62 of his 79 reception – 78% of his receptions have resulted in points or a new set of downs. That awesome!!

I am unsure if Gonzalez would go for it however, as an older player he may not embrace the idea of playing in the cold up here in New England. Right now he plays 11 of 16 games either in the dome at home in Atlanta or in New Orleans, Tampa Bay or Carolina.

Even if we sign Gonzalez I think we need to address the tight end position in the draft and have a player who can contribute as a rookie and then start in his second season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes