Votes: 18 19.8%
  • No, we can spend out money/assets better elsewhere

Votes: 73 80.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely different circumstances.

One player was conduct detrimental to the team, the other was sick and too far behind in the game plan prep to be effective
Not getting into that argument. So let's just go with different cause but effects had resemblance.

I might be more interested in dealing for Allen Robinson...

AB has a cap hit of $18+ million until the end of his contract until the end of 2021. I would not touch him with a ten feet pole. No WR is worth that much except maybe Hopkins, who is young, arguably the best in the NFL and has no character concerns AFAIK.

We are better off looking for a mid-tier free agent or gambling in the draft.

I never said Thomas wasn’t big money so why are you talking about him. But that’s pretty much the only one other than rice who was hurt basically that entire season

You made a bad claim

Teams with highly paid wide receivers have not faired well in the Super Bowl department.

In fact a lot of their teams missed the playoffs this year

I pointed out two highly paid WRs who've won SBs in the past 3 years. Everything since then is you just moving goalposts and trying to dismiss reality in an attempt to save your poor argument.

Look, I get it. Somewhere along the line, you bought into the patently absurd argument that elite and/or "well paid" WRs don't win Super Bowls. You maybe wanted to believe it because of Brady and the Patriots, and you probably felt that reinforced when Brady/Moss missed out by about 6 inches in that 2007 SB, even though the amount of money Moss was making had absolutely nothing to do with Brady getting a sprained ankle in the AFCCG, all three TEs being injured for the SB and the team's starting ORG getting knocked out of the game early on, the team's CB1 blowing plays twice late in the fourth quarter, the officials inexplicably not calling a hold on a critical deep pass, or an opposition WR coming up with the catch of his life in order to keep the eventual game winning drive alive.

But the reality is that big time WRs, and "highly paid wide receivers" do win Super Bowls. And, just as with players at every other position, whether they are getting paid huge money when they win is just a matter of timing. Boldin was at #10 in 2012. Thomas was at #3 in 2015. Jeffery was at #12 in 2017. So, in a year when the six highest paid QBs in the NFL aren't in the playoffs, while two old men outside of that top 6 (Brees, Brady) are still playing, it's an especially foolish argument to try making.

You made a bad claim

I pointed out two highly paid WRs who've won SBs in the past 3 years. Everything since then is you just moving goalposts and trying to dismiss reality in an attempt to save your poor argument.

Look, I get it. Somewhere along the line, you bought into the patently absurd argument that elite and/or "well paid" WRs don't win Super Bowls. You maybe wanted to believe it because of Brady and the Patriots, and you probably felt that reinforced when Brady/Moss missed out by about 6 inches in that 2007 SB, even though the amount of money Moss was making had absolutely nothing to do with Brady getting a sprained ankle in the AFCCG, all three TEs being injured for the SB and the team's starting ORG getting knocked out of the game early on, the team's CB1 blowing plays twice late in the fourth quarter, the officials inexplicably not calling a hold on a critical deep pass, or an opposition WR coming up with the catch of his life in order to keep the eventual game winning drive alive.

But the reality is that big time WRs, and "highly paid wide receivers" do win Super Bowls. And, just as with players at every other position, whether they are getting paid huge money when they win is just a matter of timing. Boldin was at #10 in 2012. Thomas was at #3 in 2015. Jeffery was at #12 in 2017. So, in a year when the six highest paid QBs in the NFL aren't in the playoffs, while two old men outside of that top 6 (Brees, Brady) are still playing, it's an especially foolish argument to try making.

10 million was not a high cap number in 2017 for a receiver. This isn’t hard to grasp.

It would be like saying 100 RBIs was a lot for a batter in 1999.

AB has a cap hit of $18+ million until the end of his contract until the end of 2021. I would not touch him with a ten feet pole. No WR is worth that much except maybe Hopkins, who is young, arguably the best in the NFL and has no character concerns AFAIK.

We are better off looking for a mid-tier free agent or gambling in the draft.
Thought I read that if he were dealt prior to his roster bonus on 3/17 that the trading team would be on the hook for a cap hit that was approx. 15.5m this year and only 12.5m in 2020. Those numbers do seem a bit low, however.

10 million was not a high cap number in 2017 for a receiver. This isn’t hard to grasp.

It would be like saying 100 RBIs was a lot for a batter in 1999.

I've demonstrated you to be completely wrong, because your argument was crap, yet you continue to double down and move the goalposts of your original post. You're making a fool of yourself. Go sleep it off.

I've demonstrated you to be completely wrong, because your argument was crap, yet you continue to double down and move the goalposts of your original post. You're making a fool of yourself. Go sleep it off.

No you really haven’t

what a headcase diva lol

Character is hugely important to factor in when giving gigantic contracts to players... they really screwed themselves with Brown, he forgets that he's just a WR and wants to be bigger than that.. a me-me, look at me type player

I love watching that team implode... would have loved to see the Colts have another miserable season, hopefully the Texans shut that little cindarella story down

This is about AB but it must be noted that Ben is also a crappy leader that sidesteps blame and chucks everyone under the bus, I'm surprised more team mates haven't whipped footballs at that big oaf. Mr "hey I throw pics, that's my game" hopefully they lose AB and he can set pic records next season...

This is about AB but it must be noted that Ben is also a crappy leader that sidesteps blame and chucks everyone under the bus, I'm surprised more team mates haven't whipped footballs at that big oaf. Mr "hey I throw pics, that's my game" hopefully they lose AB and he can set pic records next season...
Yes, AB is a diva and a half, but he’s an incredible talent, too. For whatever reason, he’s not working out in Pittsburgh, and one must look not only at Roethlisberger, but the overall environment in general. They have some issues in that locker room and on the sidelines.

Yes, AB is a diva and a half, but he’s an incredible talent, too. For whatever reason, he’s not working out in Pittsburgh, and one must look not only at Roethlisberger, but the overall environment in general. They have some issues in that locker room and on the sidelines.
Hopefully they keep the blinders on and things stay the same...;)

BB is truly respected, some of that has to do with his success but also how he carries himself, same with TB, 2 natural leaders. Players may say they respect Tomlin and Ben but I'd question that, certainly don't see it from the outside. Just looks like a lot of posturing and bluster imo...

It's tough for people top change, so I don't see much changing if Tomlin keeps running the show.

Hopefully they keep the blinders on and things stay the same...;)

BB is truly respected, some of that has to do with his success but also how he carries himself, same with TB, 2 natural leaders. Players may say they respect Tomlin and Ben but I'd question that, certainly don't see it from the outside. Just looks like a lot of posturing and bluster imo...

It's tough for people top change, so I don't see much changing if Tomlin keeps running the show.
Look no further than what James Harrison said about BB vs Tomlin in the off season.

A wonderful issue for the Steelers to focus on in the offseason! And, maybe Roger the Even Punishment Dodger will make their coach pay for lying on the injury report (a girl can dream, right?) at the start of next season.

sunk cost is the same whether he plays for PITT or for someone else
Yea the $21m cap charge is a sunk cost. It is what it is. From an economics PoV, the Squealers need to think about the prospective/future costs of AB and does he justify them. Looks like over the next 3 years hes slated to make ~$36m and if jettisoned the team can recoup ~$16m in cap space.

If they can get a high pick/player for him it's very attractive for Pitt to pull the trigger on a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots