PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Anfernee Jennings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading some Bama boards and they all really like Jennings. Most thought he was their best player on D this year with McKinney and expected him to be a 3rd or 4th round pick, so perhaps not the reach others thought. Most said he was more reliable and productive than Lewis and almost everyone said they would miss his leadership. The consensus was that the reach was Raekwon Davis, who people thought underwhelmed for two years, rather than Jennings or Lewis.

He's not a high ceiling player but is going to be a dependable, team first player, who has a well rounded set of skills. You don't want him in coverage too often and he isn't going to scream off the edge but he can grow into a Ninkovich type - set the edge well, and maybe pick up 6-8 sacks a year. Plus he can kick inside at times on 3rd down.

I like the pick more after doing a little more research. Just seems like a Patriot.

It is possible that his long term athletic potential might be a bit higher than he showed in college. Why? A PCL tear in the 2018 Sugar Bowl National Semifinal against Clemson caused damage to the artery in his left leg and produced a blood clot, and the leg was in very serious danger of having to be amputated. Fortunately for Jennings, doctors were able to diagnose and treat the injury quickly before amputation was necessary. However, this was a very, very serious leg injury, many thought he would never play again.

However, to his credit, less than nine months after nearly losing his left leg, Jennings worked his way back to start all 15 games for Alabama in the 2018 season. The fortitude and determination to overcome that traumatic experience translate to the qualities that made him a valued starter for Alabama head coach Nick Saban.

So: Glass half empty: He had a very, very serious leg injury at the end of the 2017 season that clearly jeopardized his career. That probably caused him to slide down the draft rankings.

Glass half full: It is amazing he battled back from that to be a 3 year starter for Alabama (no small task given the number of talented linebackers they bring in every year), and Saban loves him. I have no evidence for this, but I speculate that perhaps that ultra-sever leg injury still held him back a bit as far as athleticism once he returned. Perhaps with more time for recovery and a professional strength and conditioning program, perhaps his ceiling is more than it appears at first glance. Certainly his toughness and professional maturity are absolutely top rate.

Last edited:
It is possible that his long term athletic potential might be a bit higher than he showed in college. Why? A PCL tear in the 2018 Sugar Bowl National Semifinal against Clemson caused damage to the artery in his left leg and produced a blood clot, and the leg was in very serious danger of having to be amputated. Fortunately for Jennings, doctors were able to diagnose and treat the injury quickly before amputation was necessary. However, this was a very, very serious leg injury, many thought he would never play again.

However, to his credit, less than nine months after nearly losing his left leg, Jennings worked his way back to start all 15 games for Alabama in the 2018 season. The fortitude and determination to overcome that traumatic experience translate to the qualities that made him a valued starter for Alabama head coach Nick Saban.

So: Glass half empty: He had a very, very serious leg injury at the end of the 2017 season that clearly jeopardized his career. That probably caused him to slide down the draft rankings.

Glass half full: It is amazing he battled back from that to be a 3 year starter for Alabama (no small task given the number of talented linebackers they bring in every year), and Saban loves him. I have no evidence for this, but I speculate that perhaps that ultra-sever leg injury still held him back a bit as far as athleticism once he returned. Perhaps with more time for recovery and a professional strength and conditioning program, perhaps his ceiling is more than it appears at first glance. Certainly his toughest and professional maturity is absolutely top rate.

Also the kid earned 2 degrees at Alabama. Would be awesome if he's one of those under the radar dudes who pleasantly ends up being a 15 year stalwart

Not seen him play but seeing him described as a Nink type...not spectacular but sets the edge well. Hope those takes are right and not the 'he's a bum' ones
I see a similar role.

NFL.com's draft page listed KVN as Jennings' comp prior to the draft. Obviously, we take a projection as a grain of salt, but that caught my attention.

I think of Jennings as closer to a Nink in that, I assume, his early career role will be more of an edge setter.

This guy is an enigma to me.
Why were his foot speed and agility better in 2018, his first year back from injury, then in 2019?

When I watched Jennings in 2019 against several subpar opponents (Arkansas) he seemed to lumber around. But then he shows up with intensity and ferocity in big games against rivals LSU and Auburn (both losses). Even in those games in 2019 he seemed to lack quick twitch athleticism.

Then I went back and watched him in his first game returning from the bad knee injury, the 2018 opener against Louisville. In that game he looks like a different player, fast, quick and agile.
Why would he be faster, quicker and more agile in his first game back from knee injury than a full year later?
Shouldn’t his agility have improved with time?

He was listed at 266 lbs in 2018, and 259 in 2019. So it doesn’t seem he was carrying more weight in 2019.

It’s possible he played injured throughout 2019, such as with a high ankle sprain and sucked it up for the team as a captain.

He participated in senior bowl but skipped combine testing. Maybe he was still recovering.

If we are getting Jennings with his early 2018 agility, this is a tremendous pick.

Otherwise I am concerned that despite his heart and football character he doesn’t have the quickness to make it as a starter. I don’t know how anyone looking at 2019 games can compare Jennings to Van Noy, who is a quick flexible player.

Jennings is rocked up, but I think his best chance is to drop 10 lbs to the 250 lb range to recover some agility. That’s what Hightower did and it helped him.

A better comparison is Trey Flowers, if we are very lucky.

This guy is an enigma to me.
Why were his foot speed and agility better in 2018, his first year back from injury, then in 2019?

When I watched Jennings in 2019 against several subpar opponents (Arkansas) he seemed to lumber around. But then he shows up with intensity and ferocity in big games against rivals LSU and Auburn (both losses). Even in those games in 2019 he seemed to lack quick twitch athleticism.

Then I went back and watched him in his first game returning from the bad knee injury, the 2018 opener against Louisville. In that game he looks like a different player, fast, quick and agile.
Why would he be faster, quicker and more agile in his first game back from knee injury than a full year later?
Shouldn’t his agility have improved with time?

He was listed at 266 lbs in 2018, and 259 in 2019. So it doesn’t seem he was carrying more weight in 2019.

It’s possible he played injured throughout 2019, such as with a high ankle sprain and sucked it up for the team as a captain.

He participated in senior bowl but skipped combine testing. Maybe he was still recovering.

If we are getting Jennings with his early 2018 agility, this is a tremendous pick.

Otherwise I am concerned that despite his heart and football character he doesn’t have the quickness to make it as a starter. I don’t know how anyone looking at 2019 games can compare Jennings to Van Noy, who is a quick flexible player.

Jennings is rocked up, but I think his best chance is to drop 10 lbs to the 250 lb range to recover some agility. That’s what Hightower did and it helped him.

A better comparison is Trey Flowers, if we are very lucky.

Didn't he have even more sacks and pass breakups in 2019? Like throw away the combine stats and his actual football production was actually better ??

Looks like he was the best edge defender in the entire SEC. Plus he had even more sacks last year than Uche did. Getting excited about this dude.
Very versatile player.He definitely was a crucial part of Bama's defense. He was third in tackling ( just behind McKinney) and first in sacks ( 8) . As an edge player he was even better I sacks than his teammate Terrell Lewis . All I want to say is Jennings is typical BB's player. He can do many things defensively and can be used in different defensive schemes.

Worst pick of all the picks made so far imo. Just don't see a lot of potential there. See a backup unfortunately.
I don’t think Patriots fans appreciate Jennings as much now as they will later—a lot like when we first acquired Van Noy from Detroit.

This is the most pro-ready pick from our 2020 class, other than maybe Three Percent.

My favorite pick. Decent value, too, unlike others.

This pick isn’t being talked about enough.

This is the pick I feel best about. Not the highest ceiling of our draft picks, but he feels like he will be a great player based on what I’ve seen.

This pick isn’t being talked about enough.

This is the pick I feel best about. Not the highest ceiling of our draft picks, but he feels like he will be a great player based on what I’ve seen.
Maybe a good thing for us no one saw him at 'bama's pro day. We know for a fact BB got good info on him from Saban.

OK so Jennings:
- Led the entire SEC in defensive stops among edge defenders
- Led the entire Alabama defense with 18 passes defended over 2 years
- Led Alabama in sacks and had even more sacks than Uche did in 2019
- All playing in the SEC, the conference that had an insane 35 players drafted in the first couple rounds.

So in college he was elite at sacks, setting the edge, defensive stops, and defending passes. This could end up being one of the best picks of the draft for the Patriots.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey