PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

An inside look at Brady at Michigan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Jeff Howe wrote another great piece over at the Athletic. Mostly its just a bunch of reminisces of guys he played with. It was good enough that I was pissed when it came to an end. Here's just a sample. Something I thought you might not have known about.

Shea: He’s a guy’s guy. He’d go out. Those stories of him chugging a beer, that was a fact. He can chug a beer quicker than me, but I can drink a whole lot more beers than him. I don’t know if I’ve ever said this, but I’m going to say it now. We came up with this beer bong. I remember it was after spring ball. We’re going to go get a beer bong. We put this thing together. We named it “Betsy the Beer Bong Butkus.” Because Betsy goes down smooth, and Butkus because it hits you in your chest. Talk about chugging beers. We had a lot of fun with that. It was in his dorm room. We used it quite a bit. We had a lot of fun with Betsy.

Streets: His slow self, playing basketball, hitting the 3-pointers from the side off the backboard. His team would win, and I’d be like, ‘This guy is awful.’ He was good. He was just slow as hell.

Shea: Intramural basketball, we lost to his team. He was with Jon Jansen. I had Tai Streets and myself. We go to the championship game, and they went zone defense on us. Who goes zone defense in a ****ing rec league? That’s how he is. He would never play me one on one. He’d say, “I just don’t want you to get hurt.” He would play me in PIG, and he had this shot – he would bank a baseline 3-pointer. Think about that. That’s a hard shot. Where I come from, if you make the shot, you can’t take the same shot twice. But in California, he said they don’t play those rules, so he would just sit there and beat me on this damn shot over and over.

Streets: They did play zone. There’s no way they should have beat us. Same thing in tennis. He could play tennis, and we’d play one-on-one and he’d win in that, unfortunately. Then in miniature golf, he’d beat us in that. I had the lead one time, and he came and won it. It pissed me off. He’s an awesome competitor. The tennis thing, he would talk junk, and I’d be like, man, this guy is not about to beat me. He would talk a little stuff and win, and it would make you so mad because he’s so unathletic and slow. He just gets it done, man.

And just this one additional tidbit that I didn't know that I learned from this article. We all know about the "Brady 6". The 6 QB's who were drafted BEFORE him. But what I DIDN'T know was that 3 kickers AND a punter were drafted before him. :eek:

There was a lot more to this piece. Whatever the Athletic charges for a month, it would be worth it for this article alone. I paid $35 for the year so it costs me $2.92/mo

Thanks, Ken.

There was a lot more to this piece. Whatever the Athletic charges for a month, it would be worth it for this article alone. I paid $35 for the year so it costs me $2.92/mo

Chatham's podcast is worth it alone and for the most part they are all free with the exception of the friday ones.

This should be a factor during QB evals. Certifiably obsessed with winning at every little thing seems more important than 40 dash or arm strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes