PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Amendola: Tom Brady is the Patriots way. That’s why he’s in the Super Bowl and the Patriots aren’t.

oh here they come out of the woodwork......the pats are nothing without Brady....blah blah blah

Many years of letting people go when they wanted more than $5m salaries is going to mean a whole host of people coming out of the woodwork.

That being said, it doesn't mean the braintrust needed to follow the same philosophy (let 'em go early) with the greatest superstar in NFL history.

In Danny's case... I actually can't blame him. A lot of times when players "take a pay cut" it really means they restructured. For Amendola, he legitimately took less money each year while making clutch plays in every playoff run. I think the idea that players hate playing for BB is way overblown (see the FA thread), but this is one guy I can understand having a sour taste in his mouth.

I don't think he's 100% right, but I understand for sure. For him in particular, I'm sure the only reason he made those concessions was to keep playing with Brady.

• Agree
Reactions: jah
Belichick needs to go scorched earth.
This is crap players I respected and loved coming at my team I respect and love.
Come on Danny Boy shut your mouth.
Time for a new age in New England I don’t think with all these players talking.
We will get a Watson to come here even if we give up a kings ransom.
We need a Jimmy G or a Marcus Mariota someone happy to have a starting job.
More now than ever we need someone Bill can mesh with.
I’m starting to believe that’s not Deshaun.
It would be nice for current and past players to get up and defend Bill.
Willie Mac, Teddy, Rodney, current players like Dmac Chung, Hightower it’s time fo
Get this right.
Bill it’s time to show the world your that dude.
This is your biggest coaching challenge in your life.
Fix the culture fix the scheme get the talent get the chemistry and win.

I think the pay cut thing is a little overblown. He avoided the worst case scenario as a player in that situation, which is to get released at cutdown day, end up on the open market with a thousand other players, probably lose out on the week 1 salary guarantees, and have to join a new team during the regular season. We saw how much that screwed over Sanu, who didn't catch his second pass of the season until week 12. Although, I will add that he was getting more snaps than Amendola by the end of the season.

Belichick single handedly lost a SB where a severely concussed Gronk put it all on the line, him, Brady, Amendola, Hogan all had incredible, historic games, he never gave them a chance to win and he never apologized or offered any explanation, not to Butler, not to the rest of the players.

When you’re an absolute prick, people tolerate you because you help them win, as soon as you start losing, everyone’s true feelings come out.

Belichick single handedly lost a SB where a severely concussed Gronk put it all on the line, him, Brady, Amendola, Hogan all had incredible, historic games, he never gave them a chance to win and he never apologized or offered any explanation, not to Butler, not to the rest of the players.

When you’re an absolute prick, people tolerate you because you help them win, as soon as you start losing, everyone’s true feelings come out.
It really shouldn't have been difficult to do the right thing for your team.

Play your best tackling corner, make one or two more plays on third down to turn one or more of those Eagles scores into a punt - and win the game. It's that simple. Butler didn't need to be Deion Sanders in that game he just needed to make one or two more plays on third down that obviously Richards, Rowe, Bademosi and Chung couldn't make. That was the difference.

After the game THEN you can discipline him - keep him out of the victory celebration, tell him to not bother getting on the plane back to Boston, tell him to clean out his locker when he gets back, it doesn't matter. You do what it takes to win a Super Bowl first. There is never a guarantee you'll ever play in one again.

It's team first. Not coach first.

Last edited:
It can't be overstated how historic Brady's game was in LII. That was not a nothing defense he torched, that was one of the best defenses in the league.

And Bill threw that all away for - really who knows what reason?

I’m looking for a lie. I don’t see one.

After the game THEN you can discipline him - keep him out of the victory celebration, tell him to not bother getting on the plane back to Boston, tell him to clean out his locker when he gets back, it doesn't matter. You do what it takes to win a Super Bowl first. There is never a guarantee you'll ever play in one again.

It's team first. Not coach first.
Winner for this.

Bill's choice in super bowl 52 pissed A LOT of people on that team off
I will say, from everything I've read and how things played out, it does seem like that was a big moment where certain mainstays lost some admiration for Bill. For Brady he was prepping that season to be his big 40 year old season where he won MVP, did his documentary and finished with a Super Bowl off an amazing performance. Instead he had it ruined because of a coaching decision when he played out of his mind. Then the next year they won in a game where the defense held the opponents to 3 and Brady who had his big moment taken had to sit back and watch Bill get all the credit that day. For Gronk he just missed the season with the greatest Super Bowl comeback ever where Julian Edelman played hero. Now he was back and Edelman was out and Gronk could be the big hero weapon in the game and get some of his shine back

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back