PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Amendola signed - 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
You really should wait to see how this pans out before going after the organization. At this point, only time and a couple of seasons will show which side won.

Why the F--k do we have to wait? What we know, right now, is we've lost a known commodity - actually, a top 10 receiver - for an oft-injured commodity (hopefully) on the rise one. I, obviously, hope it all pans out, that doesn't change what we know now.

I really don't understand all the mitigating for the front office being done by the homers. If I told you 3 months ago that the Pats are going to let Welker go in 3 months when they could have retained him for 2 years @ 6 million per year these same posters would have called me insane (the "talk" was in the 8-12 million range). Well, here we, inexplicably, and, sure as sh-t, here are the homers (as is their wont) bashing those of us that are, rightfully, enraged, disappointed, aghast, inconsolable.....

I agree but Welker had proven production value to the Pats. The contract he signed with Denver wasn't a cap crusher and would've left room to sign a deep threat. Amendola is now on board for more money and we still need the deep WR. I'm curious what other teams would've offered him(?)

Its not like other teams didn't have their chance or, as you said, the contract was a cap killer. The way we as fans have been seeing it over the past year or so is obviously not the way other team saw him. He hit free agency, talked to other teams and the reaction was meh. I'll agree with you that I don't understand it, but by no means are the Patriots unique in this view point. Free agency proved it out.

I like Danny but as far as I'm concerned, WR has now become a major "need" in the draft. Patriots need insurance options, and good ones.

I'd be totally fine with using the $$ available in free agency to go after defense, and to use their first round pick to draft a WR. There are quite a few good WR prospects out there.

I think that was the same if they signed Danny, Welker or even Danny and Welker.

Yeah, but that was for a big outside wide receiver. Now they need another slot guy, "just in case"

Yeah, but that was for a big outside wide receiver. Now they need another slot guy, "just in case"

I think people are overstating Welker's durability at this point. He wasn't indestructible and it isn't like he has never been injured. A contingency plan needs to be there for everyone.

I never said it was an awful signing but WW 2/12 or DA 5/31 is a no brainer to me given WW success in this offense and the fact that he misses next to no playing time and DA's glass like career coupled with who knows what the Brady chemistry will be. If he does suck McDaniels should never be allowed to pick the groceries again, ever.

Till we see the contract it's really 5/10 with another 21 based on performance, incentives, etc.

It could be $2M a year with another $4.2 per year based on games played, catches, yards and other factors. Until we see the actual breakdown it's premature to say its Welker for $6.1M or Amendola for $6.2.. If Amendola matches Welker's stats I'd gladly pay the extra $100K to him and if he doesn't do anything he costs 1/3 of Welker.

1.) No offense, but you buying it is irrelevant. It's inarguable. You can speculate on what Amendola might do in the future, but that's not the same thing as noting the proven production.

2.) The list of players who haven't looked better in the Patriots system is a pretty long one. We can start with Chad Johnson and add a host of others.

3.) Welker's game was clearly on the upswing before he arrived in NE. It's easy to avoid jumping to the conclusion you choose.

Obviously I meant I was not buying it as a good reason, not that I wasn't buying it as a fact.

As for Chad Johnson, I would be interested in seeing the rest of the list, because he was an old, washed up, risky flier, not what we are talking about here.

And Welker's performance instantly jumped once he joined the Pats. He didn't gradually progress to there. It was 67 rec. for 687 yds, and 1 TD for Miami, and then 112 rec., 1175, 8 TDs the next year. In explaining the difference, it makes much more sense to conclude that joining a top-flight offense with a top-shelf QB is infinitely more responsible than Welker trained so hard in the offseason he became a different player.

I rescind my observation about there being no reasons to dislike the move, but I stand by my opinion that Amedola will thrive in New England. I also think that Belichick was thinking as much about 2015 as 2013 when making his decision.

I rescind my observation about there being no reasons to dislike the move

Then I'll leave it at that instead of getting into the rest of your post. Going over it would just be repetitious.

Ummm...Edelman and Hernandez say hello.

Why the F--k do we have to wait? What we know, right now, is we've lost a known commodity - actually, a top 10 receiver - for an oft-injured commodity (hopefully) on the rise one. I, obviously, hope it all pans out, that doesn't change what we know now.

I really don't understand all the mitigating for the front office being done by the homers. If I told you 3 months ago that the Pats are going to let Welker go in 3 months when they could have retained him for 2 years @ 6 million per year these same posters would have called me insane (the "talk" was in the 8-12 million range). Well, here we, inexplicably, and, sure as sh-t, here are the homers (as is the wont) bashing those of us that are, rightfully, enraged, disappointed, aghast, inconsolable.....

The only place Wes Welker is a top 10 receiver is in fantasy football. Get real.

Glasskowski, Tippy Toe hernandez, and now this Amendola stiff. Pats better get Dr. James Andrews an on-site OR at Gillette.

And Josh as done such a great job with the other receiver he brought to the Patriots (Lloyd) :rolleyes:

What is with the insane amount of hate on this board for certain players? Lloyds stats were decent for a #2 WR (more like #4 when you consider gronk and A Hern..) Seems the second a player doesnt put up hall of fame numbers, they;re just some shmuck that should be cut and replaced by someone who will be a hall of famer...

Fans are funny, fickle little creatures

Glasskowski, Tippy Toe hernandez, and now this Amendola stiff. Pats better get Dr. James Andrews an on-site OR at Gillette.

I am gonna laugh when all these guys stay healthy all year and win a SB. Then it will rain down love for amendola.

What was wrong with Lloyd? After Ocoho, and GAlloway, and Holt, and some pics that busted out and Branch couldnt do it and Stallworth couldnt they find a guy on a pretty cheap deal mind you and he puts together what I think was a sold season. Again considering the other targets and it was his first year with Brandy.

Fred from Dartmouth. I have two questions.

1. What is your problem with Lloyd given the facts above?
2. Is your real name Fred and are you really from Dartmouth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back