PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post All-Time QB Rankings / QB Hall of Fame Monitor

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
I'm not attempting to compare Brady to Manning. The distance between Brady and Manning, in my mind, is greater than the distance between Manning and whoever you put at #10 on the list.

My issue is that this board over-emphasizes Manning's most un-clutch moments, and under-emphasizes those of other QBs, see Montana, Joe.
You DID compare Brady to Manning when you claimed that they both had a stretch of un-clutch games.

As much as I like bashing Peyton, the point of a statistical model is generally to tell you something you don't already know. Manipulating the model until it lines up with all your preconceptions means it's kind of worthless by definition, since you started with the desired conclusion and worked backwards so it would tell you what you already thought in the first place.

The first model that was basically 1:1 with HOF induction, and who was an edge case toward the bottom, was great because it was based on the model lining up with a real world outcome, not the feelings of the model maker.

Plus any model that makes Peyton look bad on paper is probably going to start breaking all the other rankings. He's the "on paper" king... until you look at the postseason anyway.

That said, if you want to drag Peyton down, look at the things he's uniquely bad at and see if adding them screws up the other rankings. He has the record for one-and-dones in the playoffs, which seems like a pretty good indicator of "regular season hero/playoff chump" that SHOULD kill a QB's ranking. His playoff win % is intensely mediocre too.

You could also weight super bowl wins based on era-adjusted passer rating in the game. So rotting corpse wins count less than games where the QB did anything. Possibly even less than a SB loss like LII where the QB goes HAM but the team still loses.

I also don't know that I'd use raw passer rating for anything, only era-adjusted.

You could also penalize dome QB regular season statistics by some factor. That would knock down Peyton and Brees but not Marino or Brady.

EDIT: Other random thought is that it may simply not be worth it to try to have the model go back to the 1940s or whatever. Like if you make a model that works for everyone who played in 1967 on, or even 1978 on, but not for the old timers, you might just want to say "to heck with it" and drop everyone who played before a certain cutoff because the game itself was just too different back then.

Last edited:
If Manning didn't lead the '06 Colts to a title, who did? I don't recall Bob Sanders single-handedly overcoming a 21 - 3 lead in the 2006 AFCC game.
PEDton Manning had plenty of help in the 2006 AFCCG from the officials and he played poorly in the SB but won because of the defense.

Yep, this one was based off of a formula instead of studying everyone’s career and then ranking them off of my personal opinion and what I value.

I do feel like if Manning never won that second championship, he wouldn’t “break” the whole winning/stats/accolade balance. But since the formula doesn’t take into account how a player won a ring, he does.

Maybe I’ll play around with the era-adjusted rating some more. I did include black ink, which Staubach and Young have a huge advantage over someone like Elway in, but it still didn’t work.

Yeah I suppose when I say longevity, what I mean is that Staubach and Young missed at least 5 more years each for a chance to add to their winning. When it comes to longevity with a guy like Rivers, that doesn’t really mean anything to me because all he was doing was accumulating career stats instead of pumping out 60%-70% winning seasons or making deep playoff runs. And I have no doubt that Staubach and Young would have had more high-level seasons. But like you said, it never happened so it’s hard to implement it in a formula.
Maybe it would help if the QBs defense was included in the formula somehow. Manning's two SB wins were greatly aided by his team's defense, just as Brady's was in 2018.

As much as I like bashing Peyton, the point of a statistical model is generally to tell you something you don't already know. Manipulating the model until it lines up with all your preconceptions means it's kind of worthless by definition, since you started with the desired conclusion and worked backwards so it would tell you what you already thought in the first place.

The first model that was basically 1:1 with HOF induction, and who was an edge case toward the bottom, was great because it was based on the model lining up with a real world outcome, not the feelings of the model maker.

Good post. I don't think there's really any such thing as a final objective rankings; as I stated in the first post, the Hall of Fame monitor closely aligns with Hall of Fame criteria. That doesn't make that list particularly valid for greatness, though, which was apparent with some of the ordering. It's supposed to be an open, adjustable ranking tool that allows for these configurations based on people's opinions, but the interesting thing about it is that you must apply criteria to all; I've purposely avoided any types of poison pills that would only effect a few players. But in terms of bashing Peyton, feeling strongly that one player should rank above another is really the entire crux of how these systems are built. You have to look at the values and adjust according to your thinking.

The Peyton criticism/hate/bias is good because there is some validity to it, and that forces you to work out exactly what Peyton doesn't have that others do have. The playoff win differential, with some increased weight, does a better job of accounting for that stellar postseason that we associate with Staubach, Starr, etc., which is why people thought they should rank above Manning. In addition, much of Peyton's greatnesss, or I should say the greatness that puts him over guys like Montana or Staubach, is due to longevity over efficiency. By recognizing these two adjustments (stronger efficiency weight, stronger postseason win differential rate) it allows for more adjustment options.

That being said, you can see down the list that there are consequences of ramping these up. If de-ranking Manning is that important to you, you'll have to also explain how Patrick Mahomes should be ranked above Brett Favre or Fran Tarkenton. So, it isn't really a valid list in my opinion, but it's a start...maybe too extreme.

I also don't know that I'd use raw passer rating for anything, only era-adjusted.

I agree. I've largely gone away from this. But the original Hall of Fame rankings I posted had a 50/50 mix of era-adjsuted and non-adjusted passer rating scores. By decreasing the era-adjustment, it tends to favor the players who are closer to the modern passer as we know it,

EDIT: Other random thought is that it may simply not be worth it to try to have the model go back to the 1940s or whatever. Like if you make a model that works for everyone who played in 1967 on, or even 1978 on, but not for the old timers, you might just want to say "to heck with it" and drop everyone who played before a certain cutoff because the game itself was just too different back then.

I had posted a few pages back that there's a confidence index now as one of the settings, and it fades out the performance scores of QBs starting in 1967 and works it's way back, in an attempt to balance all kinds of problems with historical QB stats, historical QB record keeping, and the major changes to the position itself. Here's a quick example; if you look at the left column and see "Confidence" is at 150%. Now look at Sid Luckman moving from top 8 to 13, Baugh moving from around 10 to 23, and all hte other all-timers out of the top 25. If you cranked up the level to like 300%, you'd get rid of all these guys.

1615485058301.png

Here's the problem with Marino.

I've made a "best possible" type of configuration for him. I've eliminated the postseason entirely and aggressively faded out the pre-merger players. the list is turned into a bad ESPN fan ranking project, and he's still only #8.

1615486126869.png

Attachments

• 1615485626844.png
    1615485626844.png
    66.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 1615485858133.png
    1615485858133.png
    70 KB · Views: 1
  • 1615485983015.png
    1615485983015.png
    70.4 KB · Views: 1
Here's the problem with Marino.

I've made a "best possible" type of configuration for him. I've eliminated the postseason entirely and aggressively faded out the pre-merger players. the list is turned into a bad ESPN fan ranking project, and he's still only #8.

View attachment 31038
Saving this one to show to a few friends who passionately argue with me that Marino is top 5. I'm sure it will be met with stories of how his teams constantly let him down and he had no help.

This is pretty cool because it shows that the 8-10 playoff record and 0 Super Bowls aren't the only reason some of us don't think that highly of him.

Last edited:
Some people do overrate Marino because his peak was really good (the 1984 season was just beyond on comprehension at the time), his volume was huge for his era and he was just fun as hell to watch.

The thing is, he was a top 5 passer rating guy his first 5 seasons... then cracked the top 5 once over the next 8 seasons. He was solidly camped out somewhere in to top 10, but he wasn't consistently a next level amazing passer anymore really. If you don't like passer rating than more advanced stats like ANYA say the same basic thing.

Add that to his lack of postseason success and yeah, an objective ranking system shouldn't rate him super crazy highly.

That being said, you can see down the list that there are consequences of ramping these up. If de-ranking Manning is that important to you, you'll have to also explain how Patrick Mahomes should be ranked above Brett Favre or Fran Tarkenton. So, it isn't really a valid list in my opinion, but it's a start...maybe too extreme.
Yeah, it's just hard to de-rank Peyton Manning without breaking things, because most broad strokes measures you can put a number to do make him look amazing. 2 rings and raw regular season dominance and lots of awards will do that. It's just hard to get around it unless you get very granular, I think.

This is kind of involved, but I can see creating a correction factor for Super Bowl wins, where if the QB didn't do anything it's worth less. Like Peyton gets less credit for his 54 passer rating stinker in his second "win" and Roethlisberger gets almost nothing for his 22.6 absolute turd game vs the Seahawks that the defense and The Bus won basically by themselves. This probably dings Elway a little since his first Super Bowl win was trash too, but his second one was over 300 yards and almost 100 passer rating so he's OK there.

This kind of thing would boost Rodgers and Brees relative to Mahomes, since Mahomes was mediocre to bad statistically in his SB win while the former were great. Meanwhile Staubach has two Super Bowl wins with passer ratings over 100 in the 1970s.

For Brady it's probably a push, yeah 36 and 53 were meh on paper, but then there are all the other SB wins where he had good to great stats. SB55 he had a passer rating of like 125 and nobody noticed lol

The thing is, he was a top 5 passer rating guy his first 5 seasons... then cracked the top 5 once over the next 8 seasons. He was solidly camped out somewhere in to top 10, but he wasn't consistently a next level amazing passer anymore really. If you don't like passer rating than more advanced stats like ANYA say the same basic thing.
Dwight Stephenson, take a bow!

Regards,
Chris

Brady has been getting 49.99 while the next guy barely cracks 30...I know this is wrong. Even 7 Super Bowls shouldn't give you that much of a lead. I think the problem is that postseason success is one measure, and then Super Bowl is another. So there's a lot of double dipping there which causes the scores to become even more weighted towards championships. If you're 16-7 in the postseason (Montana) or 14-7 (Bradshaw) or 9-1 (Starr), chances are you're already basking in championshp points.

I think a better way to do this is combine the postseason record into the winning pct score, but to weight the postseason scores quite a bit. Example, if you went 10-6 and then 1-1 in the playoffs, your record is 13-9 (playoff wins and losses are X3). Thie winning pct score is a really big deal in this model, so I think this will have a similar effect to the extra playoff category, but it prevents massive double dipping from some guys.

I like this idea, but it creates a problem for high-longevity QBs. Assuming here that a prime counts as 5 consecutive years, rather than 5 best years (these instead would be peaks). How do you measure Brady's prime? His best statistical seasons are spread out all over the place (07, 10, 11, 16, 17, 20), whereas his prime is, IMO, 2014 - 2018. The same could be said of Manning (03 - 06 vs. 12 - 14), Elway (late 80's vs. 95 - 98) and Rogers (early 2010s vs. 2020).

I think if someone were to do prime with this, they would need to take their 5 best seasons even if they're spread out. And like you said, then you run into the problem of do you just choose the 5 best seasons stat wise, or their 5 best seasons total regardless of the stats?

Because even though Brady's 2007 and 2010 are considered by a lot of people to be his best seasons, there is no quarterback in history I would take over Brady from 2014-2018. Never felt more confident in a player. And I actually think 2016 Brady was his peak even though the stats say 2007 or 2010.

I'm looking to strike a balance with peak score. The problem is right now there are some pretty big spikes, outlier seasons. That wouldn't be that big of a deal because it's just one score, so it shouldn't mess things up too much, but then when you try to amp up the peak score, it starts getting pretty crazy. Guys like Milt Plum and Bert Jones had pretty ridiculous MVP seasons where they just played out of their minds, and you get guys like Daunte Culpepper feeding Moss for a 110+ rating that doesn't reflect his career score. There's certainly problems with the small sample sizes like this, when you amplify that score.

An idea:

So let's say that Aaron Rodgers has a peak passer rating that's 30 points above the league average, for a score of 3.0. Milt Plum also has a passer rating that's 30 points above average for a 3.0 score. But Rodgers' career passer rating is 2.0 above average, while Plum's passer rating is average, or 0.0.

Rodgers would get an adjustment like this: (3+3+3+2) / 4 = 2.75
Plum would bet an adjustment like this: (3+3+3+0) / 4 = 2.25

This way, it's likely you're going to get closer to that 3-4 average score and prevent outliers. It isn't a pure peak score, but depending on the math formula, you can make it more or less pure and more or less likely to cover a longer range of peak years.

Bump so a superior thread to the Cam Newton thread and its associated attention whore-driven satellite threads don't bounce this to page 2.

Regards,
Chris

I'm thinking of doing an opposite effect for the awards index...that is, starting them off as very heavy score indicators in the 1920s and slowly fading out their importance as we move forward in time and into the modern game.

We have players from the 1920s who are getting almost zero credit for their stats, since we don't have their stats. But we do have other major indicators like All-Star, All-Pro, MVP. Those become important indexes; however, I've largely devalued the award index because we already have the performance stats and actual on-field accomplishments, so all it's really doing is double dipping (when a QB has an MVP season, the season passer rating, championship opportunity, and winning pct already shows up) and also providing some maddening problems (Manning's 10 all-pros to Staubach's 1, for example.)

I like the accolades index to do two things: Act as check/balance when players fall through the cracks on passer rating and winning pct (Warren Moon and Dan Marino are examples) and account for that lack of information we have as we move backwards in time.

So, I'll be working on a way to have the accolades as cake toppers for the modern players but having sigificantly more weight for the old timers.

What do you think of this solution. @BaconGrundleCandy ?

I'm thinking of doing an opposite effect for the awards index...that is, starting them off as very heavy score indicators in the 1920s and slowly fading out their importance as we move forward in time and into the modern game.

We have players from the 1920s who are getting almost zero credit for their stats, since we don't have their stats. But we do have other major indicators like All-Star, All-Pro, MVP. Those become important indexes; however, I've largely devalued the award index because we already have the performance stats and actual on-field accomplishments, so all it's really doing is double dipping (when a QB has an MVP season, the season passer rating, championship opportunity, and winning pct already shows up) and also providing some maddening problems (Manning's 10 all-pros to Staubach's 1, for example.)

I like the accolades index to do two things: Act as check/balance when players fall through the cracks on passer rating and winning pct (Warren Moon and Dan Marino are examples) and account for that lack of information we have as we move backwards in time.

So, I'll be working on a way to have the accolades as cake toppers for the modern players but having sigificantly more weight for the old timers.

What do you think of this solution. @BaconGrundleCandy ?
I feel like the conclusion to this convo is tiers for geezers like Otto, Brady, Y.A., Starr etc and more modern day guys. It's so hard to look at when considering, what they were asked to do. What they were working with in terms of rules, system ..

Maybe something like .. start to 78-80 ... 78-80 to 2004-2006 ... 04-06 to present

Pain in the ass but I feel like it always come up. Perhaps you already looked at this? This idea could help with balance ^^^.

I always like the idea of taking a QB's 5 best years as opposed to consecutive.

How are we rating Mahomes SB win and play if we're looking at that specifically? He wasn't great against SF but made some great plays when needed. Actually one of his more mediocre games but again he made the plays when he had to. Tough deal vs TB. His OL was a wreck going up against a defense that played arguably it's best game all year. Thought this might have been brought up.

I feel like the conclusion to this convo is tiers for geezers like Otto, Brady, Y.A., Starr etc and more modern day guys. It's so hard to look at when considering, what they were asked to do. What they were working with in terms of rules, system ..

Maybe something like .. start to 78-80 ... 78-80 to 2004-2006 ... 04-06 to present

Pain in the ass but I feel like it always come up. Perhaps you already looked at this? This idea could help with balance ^^^.

I always like the idea of taking a QB's 5 best years as opposed to consecutive.

How are we rating Mahomes SB win and play if we're looking at that specifically? He wasn't great against SF but made some great plays when needed. Actually one of his more mediocre games but again he made the plays when he had to. Tough deal vs TB. His OL was a wreck going up against a defense that played arguably it's best game all year. Thought this might have been brought up.
You bring up an interesting point about the eras. It makes me wonder if it's worth having a true all-time list and also a Super Bowl era list. Any thoughts on this @Ice_Ice_Brady @Deus Irae

How do you feel about determining the 5 best years ? Just go by highest 5 passer ratings? Using Brady as an example those would be:
1. 2007 - 117.2
2. 2016 - 112.2
3. 2010 - 111.0
4. 2011 - 105.6
5. 2017 - 102.8

Do we feel those were his actual 5 best years?

You bring up an interesting point about the eras. It makes me wonder if it's worth having a true all-time list and also a Super Bowl era list. Any thoughts on this @Ice_Ice_Brady @Deus Irae

How do you feel about determining the 5 best years ? Just go by highest 5 passer ratings? Using Brady as an example those would be:
1. 2007 - 117.2
2. 2016 - 112.2
3. 2010 - 111.0
4. 2011 - 105.6
5. 2017 - 102.8

Do we feel those were his actual 5 best years?
Those are probably the 5. Then 2015? And 2014?

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back