PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post All-Time QB Rankings / QB Hall of Fame Monitor

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
You bring up an interesting point about the eras. It makes me wonder if it's worth having a true all-time list and also a Super Bowl era list. Any thoughts on this @Ice_Ice_Brady @Deus Irae

How do you feel about determining the 5 best years ? Just go by highest 5 passer ratings? Using Brady as an example those would be:
1. 2007 - 117.2
2. 2016 - 112.2
3. 2010 - 111.0
4. 2011 - 105.6
5. 2017 - 102.8

Do we feel those were his actual 5 best years?
I like passer rating, but I'm not sure that it allows for enough context. I'd have to do some delving on this. If I get a chance over the weekend, I'll do just that.

I like passer rating, but I'm not sure that it allows for enough context. I'd have to do some delving on this. If I get a chance over the weekend, I'll do just that.
Awesome. I was thinking of maybe taking their best passer rating seasons and going by how far ahead they were of the league average.

Brady’s would be

1. 2007 - 34.6
2. 2010 - 26.9
3. 2016 - 22.9
4. 2011 - 21.3
5. 2017 - 15.9

Awesome. I was thinking of maybe taking their best passer rating seasons and going by how far ahead they were of the league average.

Brady’s would be

1. 2007 - 34.6
2. 2010 - 26.9
3. 2016 - 22.9
4. 2011 - 21.3
5. 2017 - 15.9
That's going to lead to some crazy gaps for some of the transitional years where some players were ahead of the passer rating evolutionary curve. 2007 Brady is one great example, but take a gander at what that would do with Steve Young and Joe Montana, too, for example.

That's going to lead to some crazy gaps for some of the transitional years where some players were ahead of the passer rating evolutionary curve. 2007 Brady is one great example, but take a gander at what that would do with Steve Young and Joe Montana, too, for example.
Yeah you’re right. I just looked at Graham, Staubach, Montana, and Young and it’s definitely not that balanced compared to the more recent guys.

Just to use an example, Rodgers had the 2nd highest passer rating in history last season. It was only +27.9

You bring up an interesting point about the eras. It makes me wonder if it's worth having a true all-time list and also a Super Bowl era list. Any thoughts on this @Ice_Ice_Brady @Deus Irae

Sure - it's pretty to easy to do, as demonstrated here. Taking the years starting pre-merger and putting a really heavy fade on the total score. I could do a lesser fade where Graham shows up higher...but I think this is probably where people would want it with Unitas and Starr still getting about half of their credit since they're right in the middle of the pre and post merger.

1615616120767.png

Edit: maybe this one is better...I changed the fade out years a bit.

1615616427477.png

Last edited:
I feel like the conclusion to this convo is tiers for geezers like Otto, Brady, Y.A., Starr etc and more modern day guys. It's so hard to look at when considering, what they were asked to do. What they were working with in terms of rules, system ..

Maybe something like .. start to 78-80 ... 78-80 to 2004-2006 ... 04-06 to present

Pain in the ass but I feel like it always come up. Perhaps you already looked at this? This idea could help with balance ^^^.

I always like the idea of taking a QB's 5 best years as opposed to consecutive.

How are we rating Mahomes SB win and play if we're looking at that specifically? He wasn't great against SF but made some great plays when needed. Actually one of his more mediocre games but again he made the plays when he had to. Tough deal vs TB. His OL was a wreck going up against a defense that played arguably it's best game all year. Thought this might have been brought up.

Yeah - I mean, there's no question that the position has changed so, so much over the years. Putting together a ranking system within eras would be a lot easier, though...there's just not as big of a challenge because you can draw some failry easy conclusions. Bringing the eras together requires those complexities and fine tuning.

But absolutely, I think it's a great idea to have an option to zoom in on an era or fade out old-timers, or do peer comparisons. I just posted above an example of fading out pre-merger players, and I could just do an opposite effect for post merger, or an effect where you pick a decade and years fade out as you move away from it.

The five best years works for me too. I don't care if they're consecutive. I just don't have the resources to input that type of data right now, but I think I could program something to just take the profootball-reference sheets (copy and paste them in) and automatically read the five best passer ratings. It would take some time. For now, though, I've tied peak rating to career rating, which I think might have a similar effect to the five year peak...it combines the peak with at least some confirmation that the peak is in the same stratosphere as as the QB's norm.

This is what it looks like under the hood...

1615617754465.png

It uses pretty simple input fields though. W/L, Passer Rating, Peak Year, and major awards. Most of the work I've done has been on formulas, filters, adjustments, etc. I'm not trying to be dimissive of new data to get more precise results; I jjust haven't had time to yet.

1615617860477.png

Last edited:
I got to be honest I see a lot of these list and at least imo its hard to argue against.

Like this top ten is tough to argue against imo
Sure - it's pretty to easy to do, as demonstrated here. Taking the years starting pre-merger and putting a really heavy fade on the total score. I could do a lesser fade where Graham shows up higher...but I think this is probably where people would want it with Unitas and Starr still getting about half of their credit since they're right in the middle of the pre and post merger.

View attachment 31087

Edit: maybe this one is better...I changed the fade out years a bit.

View attachment 31088
These are more than fine by me
This is what it looks like under the hood...

View attachment 31093

It uses pretty simple input fields though. W/L, Passer Rating, Peak Year, and major awards. Most of the work I've done has been on formulas, filters, adjustments, etc.

View attachment 31094

Manning is a tough sell in this room but he's my QB2/3 easy. Yea he has his warts but as a whole he's almost as good as there ever was. He just happen to play, fortunately for sports fans. In an era when Brady & Bill caught fire like Thanos with all the stones. Future with blonde dreads and dirty sprite. I'm fine with Manning that high but I also have always had Young in my top 5 as well. So I'm not sure that's the norm.

I think another point that Im taking away from all your stuff is the best usually show up no matter how you set the formula?

I feel like Brady, Manning, Young, Montana one of Johnny U - Otto - Starr- Staubach are as good a top 5 as you'll get?

After that maybe Tier 1B? After the top 10 it gets every man for himself crazy.

I got to be honest I see a lot of these list and at least imo its hard to argue against.

Manning is a tough sell in this room but he's my QB2/3 easy. Yea he has his warts but as a whole he's almost as good as there ever was. He just happen to play, fortunately for sports fans. In an era when Brady & Bill caught fire like Thanos with all the stones. Future with blonde dreads and dirty sprite. I'm fine with Manning that high but I also have always had Young in my top 5 as well. So I'm not sure that's the norm.

I think another point that Im taking away from all your stuff is the best usually show up no matter how you set the formula?

I feel like Brady, Manning, Young, Montana one of Johnny U - Otto - Starr- Staubach are as good a top 5 as you'll get?

I think those 8 are pretty much the top 8 unless you’re using some weird criteria. You can make it top 10 if you want to include Luckman and Baugh.

Then you have Dawson, Bradshaw, Favre, Elway, Marino, Brees, and Rodgers in a tier behind them.

Yeah - with Manning, I had posted a list of QBs who have beaten Brady in the postseason. Brady has only lost to avrerage or below average QBs...and it makes sense because most of those guys have been carried into those games with great supporting casts/defenses, so they just have to play well (but not at an all-time great level) to beat him. I had a list of like 16 Hall of Fame and MVP quarterbacks, none of whom has beaten Brady in the playoffs...except for Manning. Three times. We can quibble about those circumstances, but bottom line is Manning being top-5 shouldn't make a list problematic. I do shudder at a list that has him over Montana, but I don't have strong feelings about him being ranked above anyone else; more of a preference.

I couldn't find an actual list continuous list of NFL Champion quarterbacks that connected the pre-merger and post-merger eras. The Super Bowl, as a term, and as a pop culture event, tends to separate the league history into two totally different eras, and that's too bad because there's such a rich history. Anyway, at some point I'd like to rate these matchups based on the scoring system...but for now, I just like this chart to show that, even though the QB position has changed so much over the years, it's always the quarterback who is the most important position. Championships are so frequently won by the best ones.

1615620817316.png
1615620887172.png
1615620999565.png

Attachments

• 1615620954626.png
    1615620954626.png
    290.7 KB · Views: 1
I suspect you were jarred awake by an urgent text message about my post...like an Amber alert :rofl:
The timing was perfect for such a suspicion, though I don't use any notification stuff. But, yeah, anytime I see Manning in the top 5, I do get a little bit of bilious backup in my throat. He's just so obviously not a top 5 QB, but his career-long stat whoredom shades any attempt to use numbers to slot him more appropriately. And, as I've noted before, he's not the only one to get the benefits of that (Yes, I'm looking at you, Aaron Rodgers, and you, Drew Brees).

The timing was perfect for such a suspicion, though I don't use any notification stuff. But, yeah, anytime I see Manning in the top 5, I do get a little bit of bilious backup in my throat. He's just so obviously not a top 5 QB, but his career-long stat whoredom shades any attempt to use numbers to slot him more appropriately. And, as I've noted before, he's not the only one to get the benefits of that (Yes, I'm looking at you, Aaron Rodgers, and you, Drew Brees).

This list is pretty legit with no intentional anti-Manning adjustment. This is just based on championships and performance (where there's no longevity factor, just efficiency.) Awards are also faded with more modern players, and I think they should be to prevent double dipping and also because QBs are so much more likely to win MVP (RBs don't win anymore) or get a pro bowl nomination (so many guys just skip the game). So that's the only change since yesterday. Oh, and flash in the pan potential has been faded, too, for guys like Mahomes. He's not getting full credit after just three seasons due to small sample size and lkely regression to the mean.

1615623805581.png

Last edited:
This list is pretty legit with no intentioanl anti-Manning adjustment. This is just based on championships and performance (where there's no longevity factor, just efficiency.) Awards ae also faded with more modern players, and I think they should be to prevent double dipping and also because QBs are so much more likely to win MVP (RBs don't win anymore) or get a pro bowl nomination (so many guys just skip the game). So that's the only change since yesterday. Oh, and flash in the pan potential has been faded, too, for guys like Mahomes. He't not getting full credit after just three seasons due to small sample size and lkely regression to the mean.
The Staubach/Unitas flip is striking.

We'll take a break from the top of the chart soon, and and please feel free to comment on these "top-25 issues" because I am not sure if it's my system or my perception that's flawed. Are some of these "against the grain" rankings telling us something about certain players being overrated/underrated, or is the system just mssing something important?

Rated About Right

Dan Marino

Before getting into the other guys, I'll start by somewhat "defending" the Marino ranking. He typically goes between 16-22. The rankings consistently uphold the wisdom that Marino is greatest quarterback to never win a Super Bowl, and it goes through all eras for this; only Tarkenton occassionally pops up higher. Considering Marino's passer rating isn't such a standout and the award index has been largely faded, I think the system is doing its job. Marino is one of the 20 best quarterbacks ever, which is pretty darn good. When you fade out the pre-1967 players, Marino is #9.

1615665986795.png

I could also get into the Terry Bradshaw issue, but think of it as the exact same problem as Marino but with opposite strengths and weaknesses.

Underrated

Norm Van Brocklin

Van Brocklin has always been well-regarded as a top player of the 1960s, but he's been coming up as a top-15/18 overall player due to high very high era-adjusted passer rating.

Bob Griese
The rankings have been consistenly showing Griese is underrated by common rankings, as he's often top 20. His era adjusted passer rating is actually slightly higher than Marino, and his peak year is not even that much lower either. I think he suffers, by fan perception, of not having the gaudy big yard, big TD passing numbers or any "wow" factor, but all of the credentials are quietly there.

Ken Stabler
He's a lot like Griese; he has the numbers and the accolades (All-Decade too) but seems to lack the fanfare of a really big name. He's typically scratching the top 25.

Arnie Herber
If we era-adjust, I belive Herber is the third best Packers quarterback and ahead of Favre. He won four championships in the 1930s, had already won two before Don Hutso arrived, and paved the way for Baugh and Luckman. He was replaced by Isbell, retired, then came out of retirement to play for the Giants. He made it back to the championship game (lost to his former team, the Packers.)

Ed Danowski
It's hard to get too fired up about a guy from the 1930s, but by all available information, Danowski was basically the lite version of Arnie Herber and the class below Sammy Baugh and Sid Luckman. He played in four championships games, winning two. Other players form that era are in the Hall, and other players with that resume are in the Hall.

Ben Roethlisberger
I can't say I really like this one...that the system constantly ranks Roethlisberger in the top 20 all-time, usually in the 18-22 range. I think Roethlisberger is really good but shouldn't sniff the top 20 either, if we're going back 100 years. I've considered adjusting the championship points based on some type of awards index multiplier (the adjustment would be slight but would make a difference.)

Len Dawson
I think most of us realize that Dawson is great and belongs very high, but to a casual fan, he's never talked about in the same sentence as Starr, Unitas, Staubach, etc. Most people know he won a Super Bowl but don't realize he also won two AFL Championships and was one of the best quarterbacks in the country for years.

Overrated

Troy Aikman

Aikman is often in the top 10/top 12 in Super Bowl era rankings, but he'stypically around 25 here. Everything besides his three Super Bowl wins is substandard for that level. Perhaps it's because the system doesn't account for actual Super Bowl/postseason play but just the results. But you also have to ask if a guy with an overall career .57 winning pct and a roughly average era-adjusted rating was very much a...gulp...system quarterback.

John Elway
Elway was coming in around 12-15, but the addition of peak score has been unkind to him as he's now coming in 18-22. I think that the system is off on this one, and like with Roethlisberger, I'm looking for missing gaps in the criteria. Bottom line is Elway should never rank below Roethlsiberger, or even very close. The all-star/all-pro index shows that Elway is a star player while Roethlisberger is not; while I don't think that should give out more raw points, it should be able to identify and correct this problem with a multiplier.

Sammy Baugh
This is certainly a "first world problem" as you have a top-10 guy from the 1930s who is being considered overrated. But this is more about Baugh's ranking compared to Luckman. Baugh is widely regarded as the best QB of that era, but Luckman beats him almost every category, including passer rating and peak rating. Most signifcantly, Luckman was 4-1 in championships and Baugh was 2-3. Three of those games were against each other: the 73-0 game to begin the rivalry, the shocking upset of the 1942 Bears (maybe the greatest team ever), and a Luckman win in the rubber match. Incredible matchups; if you flip that head-to-head championship count, it would flip their rankings. And that's exactly how it should be.

Bobby Layne
Layne was initially showing up as top 10-15 before more precise era-adjustment rankings and peak score were added. Layne is a paradox who needs to be studied further. It's possible that he's closer to Troy Aikman than he is to Otto Graham, but he's probably in the middle. His career stats are not impressive and roughly average for his era, but he does have the pro bowls/all pros. In 1957, Layne got injured, and the Lions still marched to a championship with a career journeyman, Tobin Rote., dominating the Graham-less Browns 59-14.

Attachments

• 1615661030586.png
    1615661030586.png
    41.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Onto the next class.

I haven't spent nearly as much time fine tuning the next class of player, so this is mostly runoff from the settings used on the top 20. I did put a little more emphasis on longevity for these guys. Woud love to get any general thoughts/feedback. Please keep in mind, this is not the top 53 players; it's the top 53 players of the ones I've finished inputting.

Let's call this upper-middle class. We have some guys in the 20-30 range who are on the border of the upper class.

We have some perennial pro bowl players without titles (Tarkenton, Tittle, Kelly, Jurgenson, Anderson, Moon, Fouts, Romo) OR multiple time champs who weren't considered to be top players (Danowski, Thompson, Blanda.) Then a bunch of guys blended somewhere in between. We have the biggest oddball of them all in Morrall, who could be a thread in himself.

1615664729062.png

And here's those same settings but with a very heavy fade-out of pre-1967. It looks like the upper middle class stats to fade into the middle class very quickly here....

1615665512193.png

Last edited:

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents