PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Alan Branch Cooked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish we kept Hicks few years ago....

Talk to Hicks.

Why is this so contingent upon what BB does or doesn't do? What about the adult player himself?

At some point the player has to care and want to play to win.

Who in their right mind would choose the Bears over the Pats? Answer? A loser.

Takes two to tango. If the player isn't motivated to want to win, there is nothing a coach can do.

Last edited:
I thought everything that Branch said was pretty innocuous.
I listened to the interview. He was clearly on there to talk about My Cause, My Cleats. They gave him a platform, and then when he was done, followed up with the standard questions about Butler and BB. I didn't think it was remotely interesting, save for the "that organization" comment, which shows me he's moved on to the next phase in his career. The only other question I would have followed up with would have been if it was common for his position group to know what other position groups have going on re: personnel. My guess would be no. Add to that the fact that the guy was inactive and he likely checked out once he knew that fact. Not a lot to see here.

Moving on to the free agent period, combine, and draft.

Talk to Hicks.

Why is this so contingent upon what BB does or doesn't do? What about the adult player himself?

At some point the player has to care and want to play to win.

Who in their right mind would choose the Bears over the Pats? Answer? A loser.

Takes to tango. If the player isn't motivated to want to win, there is nothing a coach can do.
Obtuse much? Yup, all the time.

The more I think about it the more it was sort of weird he was sitting there dramatically crying during the Anthem. Keep it together, man it's freakin' football. 15 yard penalty.

I listened to the interview. He was clearly on there to talk about My Cause, My Cleats. They gave him a platform, and then when he was done, followed up with the standard questions about Butler and BB. I didn't think it was remotely interesting, save for the "that organization" comment, which shows me he's moved on to the next phase in his career. The only other question I would have followed up with would have been if it was common for his position group to know what other position groups have going on re: personnel. My guess would be no. Add to that the fact that the guy was inactive and he likely checked out once he knew that fact. Not a lot to see here.

Moving on to the free agent period, combine, and draft.

Let's keep in mind, Branch was bounced from 3 other teams before arriving in NE, where he did help win 2 rings here.

But, BB gave him a nice deal last offseason as a reward for his commitment, as well as other privileges accommodating his wishes to be with his family, etc, and now we have him piling on in subtle fashion saying "that" organization.

Yeah, dude, that's the "organization" that put you into a position to make extra money by winning SBs, and to make your career worth it.

It's nothing more than the mental disease that other the other troll types have towards our franchise.

Talk about a lack of respect for your former teammates.

If players want to be losers and play for crap franchises, while making a tad more money, that's certainly their choice. See Akiem Hicks as well, as another notorious malcontent type. But, Branch owes his rings to BB and his willingness to work with him, to get the best out of him.

It wasn't going to happen in Arizona or Buffalo, Alan.

Ever notice the pattern?

1. Inflated ego
2. Hard to motivate
3. Mentally check out

And you know what? It's all tied to the time the player got their money or wanted more.

Asante Samuel, Adalius Thomas, Moss, etc, etc,....the list goes on on and on.

I think BB had some cancers in this locker room this year and was busy doling out football chemo this entire time. That's what I think.

The more I think about it the more it was sort of weird he was sitting there dramatically crying during the Anthem. Keep it together, man it's freakin' football. 15 yard penalty.

Exactly. I pointed this out and continue to, because it essentially proves why BB thought Butler wasn't mentally all there.

The team is constantly talking about mental toughness, and Butler showed mental toughness?

Nah.

Butler never got over BB giving Gilmore "his" money.

Yeah, he’s gone. Butlers gone, next?

Michael Giardi‏Verified account @MikeGiardi
Source tells me Butler & his camp remain extremely frustrated by Pats position & Gilmore signing. Courting offers elsewhere. Wants new home

7:37 PM - 12 Mar 2017

------------------------------

Except there were no offers "elsewhere".

So, you reject 7 mil per on average, likely because of the years (we know BB doesn't really go more than 2 for CBs as proven in the past with Samuel, Bodden, Revis, now Gilmore.

Butler went from a 78 passer rating against going into negotiations and a passer rating of 103 off a SB winning secondary, AFTER negotiations

I can still see Butler's selfie on his flight to New Orleans.

Yep.

I’m betting he don’t get 7 mill per now

Butler thread nine more like.

He won't. He may get years, which I still think is unlikely. I don't think he'll get 4. He MAY get 3 and call it good, but I highly doubt he'll see more guarnateed money than what Kraft/BB gave him.

$100 Kraft and BB were stunned that Butler rejected the offer. They always come with their best ofer and more guaranteed money to show commitment. The problem is, the primadonna positions (CB, WR, RB, DE/OLB), breed primadonnas.

So, there was no leg to dtand on with Butler. Even the trip to NOs to meet witb BB's friend, Sean Payton, screamed of "go visit another team, Malcolm, and you'll see what the market is"......

In other words, I think that entire RFA trip by Butler to NOs, near his hometown in Mississippi, was all for show. The Saints were not likely to lose a pick and overpay when Lattimore is sitting as a rookie cap draft pick option in Rd 1. Did Lattimore have a passer rating against of 103?

Butler clearly was around people who were telling him he's worth a Gilmore kind of price because of SB 49 and admittedly a very good Pro Bowl kind of a year last year.

That's fine, but to think you're a bigger/fast CB that can be left alone on an island, is delusional. Butler's best work is in zone and as a read and react style CB.

That's not 14 mil per money over 2 years like Gilmore is essentially getting.

Even the Edelmans, the Ninks, etc, players who were cultivated here as scrapheap types, don't get 4 year deals at age 28 and 29. The end comes quick and BB likes to protect himself.

Butler will get that from someone. The most dissapointing aspect's that the guy didn't play in a pats uniform in his last game. I thought he deserved to go out playing.

Can we not turn this into Butler Thread II? Please?

What is the big deal? It's more about malcontents, ego and how it affects locker rooms.

Sucks, but it's pretty apparent this was the case. It's not 2009 bad, but still, there seems to be a lot of hints that these things were a peripheral problem this season, which is a shame.

You also have to figure not having Hightower and Edelman always around as LEADERS, allowed this to open up.

Butler will get that from someone. The most dissapointing aspect's that the guy didn't play in a pats uniform in his last game. I thought he deserved to go out playing.

If it's true he cleaned out his locker before flying out there, that's pretty damning to me.

BB is being nice by trying to protect his rights as a FA, but if you read between the lines a little, there is way too much smoke here.

Some team is going to be severely disappointed if they give him 7 mil per+. Branch is also cooked and delusional. Teams SHOULD know, the most motivated Branch ever was, was right here under BB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case