PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After a Decade, Owners Still Buying Roger's Sorry Act

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Greg Bedard wrote about it last week – Roger Goodell is more entrenched than ever as NFL commissioner. How is this even possible? And why do football fans have to put up with this arrant nonsense?

It’s a common theme among media types and even some fans that Roger has done a great job for the owners because the league is growing rapidly and making gobs of money. Case in point, Jenny Vrentas in MMQB credited Goodell with overseeing “unprecedented” revenue growth.

With revenues projected to reach $13 billion in 2016, there’s no question that the league has grown. Is this growth unprecedented?

From 2001 to 2006, NFL revenues grew from $4.2 billion to $6.5 billion, a compound annual growth rate of 8.8%. By 2014, under Goodell’s stewardship, revenues grew to $11.1 billion in 2014, a lower growth rate of 6.8% annually. That’s right, NFL revenues did grow, but at a lower rate during Goodell’s tenure than the last five years under Paul Tagliabue.

02-98.png

During Goodell’s first five years (2006-2010), growth actually slowed to 6.3% annually, less than three-quarters of the pre-Roger growth rate. During this time, Roger was paid about $9.5 million per year. When the owners rewrote his contract effective in 2011, Roger’s total compensation more than tripled, averaging something like $35 million through 2015. It’s hard to understand why the savvy members of The Billionaires Boys Club gave away the store here, but that’s what they did. Were they afraid that another business would steal Roger away? Please.

No, the NFL owners, who hold themselves out as being among the most astute business people in the world, negotiated against themselves. During the ensuing labor negotiations and concussion litigation, it had to be galling for players, officials and disabled retirees to see the owners fighting tooth and nail for every last penny, so soon after bestowing such an undeserved financial windfall on their hand-picked Cabana Boy.

(Ed. Note: NFL yearly attendance being pretty reliably around 17 million, Roger’s paycheck can be viewed as a $2 fee on every ticket for every fan for every game. I don't know about you, but I want my money back.)

It is clear that the owners love Goodell. What is much less clear is - why? It’s almost unimaginable that there aren’t any number of competent executives who could produce comparable or (better yet) superior results for a smaller paycheck. You don’t have to be a Harvard MBA to know that hiring less competent help for more money is bad business. There’s no denying it.

What should be of grave concern to the owners is how quickly Goodell turned into a human wrecking ball after his new deal took effect in 2011. Since then, Roger has been up to his eyeballs in a series of monumental screw-ups that have damaged the reputation and the credibility of the league. You’d be hard pressed to identify a single situation that Goodell’s involvement hasn’t made worse. Yet, his apologists are routinely armed with a litany of rationalizations and excuses that only serve to underscore the lameness of their contention that Roger has any kind of any clue at all.

The sad fact of the matter is that Goodell is incompetent, overpaid and a world class prevaricator. In dealing with delicate business matters, his modus operandi has been to pull the pins out of as many hand grenades as he can find and then act surprised when things start exploding all around him. Even his supporters would admit that his public persona is obtuse, stubborn and condescending. And for the past decade, after regularly making a complete hash of things, he has been standing around with his hands in his pockets and a dumb look on his face while The NFL Money Train continues to roar through the station at an astonishing rate of speed. For this, Roger gets all of the credit and a Huge Paycheck.

Is Roger The Idiot Savant of Unprecedented Growth? It seems this is what the apologists and enablers would have us believe. Never mind all of the smoldering wreckage, broken furniture and mangled bodies lying around. Roger really is doing a great job. It’s the fans (and, I suppose, the players, coaches and officials) who don’t get it.

The Billionaire Boys Club is an insular environment where extreme wealth is all that matters. Money can be the single most addictive substance in the world; a tsunami of naked avarice overwhelmed NFL owners a long time ago. The owners are in love with Roger precisely because they sensed in him the same all-consuming greed they embrace every day.

In so doing, they bought into Roger’s absurd vision that this incredibly successful business enterprise needed, above all else, to grow massively bigger. And nothing - not the comfort of the fans, not the safety or dignity of the players, not the security of the disabled retirees who helped build the league into what it is today - can get in the way of that growth. Because when all is said and done, there is money, there is more money and there is even more money. Nothing else matters.

This is the very essence of the NFL’s very large problem known as Roger Goodell. Instead of introducing any sense of restraint and perspective, the Commissioner has successfully appealed to the owners’ very worst instincts. They are truly kindred spirits.

And this is why Roger Goodell stands to be the undoing of the great game of football.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well...Roger has managed to make a life long bitter enemy out of ME...not bragging but he's undersmart and over confident in this respect.
Let it burn.

Greg Bedard wrote about it last week – Roger Goodell is more entrenched than ever as NFL commissioner. How is this even possible? And why do football fans have to put up with this arrant nonsense?

It’s a common theme among media types and even some fans that Roger has done a great job for the owners because the league is growing rapidly and making gobs of money. Case in point, Jenny Vrentas in MMQB credited Goodell with overseeing “unprecedented” revenue growth.

With revenues projected to reach $13 billion in 2016, there’s no question that the league has grown. Is this growth unprecedented?

From 2001 to 2006, NFL revenues grew from $4.2 billion to $6.5 billion, a compound annual growth rate of 8.8%. By 2014, under Goodell’s stewardship, revenues grew to $11.1 billion in 2014, a lower growth rate of 6.8% annually. That’s right, NFL revenues did grow, but at a lower rate during Goodell’s tenure than the last five years under Paul Tagliabue.

http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/5424373eecad049e3a40f53a-800-600/02-98.png

During Goodell’s first five years (2006-2010), growth actually slowed to 6.3% annually, less than three-quarters of the pre-Roger growth rate. During this time, Roger was paid about $9.5 million per year. When the owners rewrote his contract effective in 2011, Roger’s total compensation more than tripled, averaging something like $35 million through 2015. It’s hard to understand why the savvy members of The Billionaires Boys Club gave away the store here, but that’s what they did. Were they afraid that another business would steal Roger away? Please.

No, the NFL owners, who hold themselves out as being among the most astute business people in the world, negotiated against themselves. During the ensuing labor negotiations and concussion litigation, it had to be galling for players, officials and disabled retirees to see the owners fighting tooth and nail for every last penny, so soon after bestowing such an underserved financial windfall on their hand-picked Cabana Boy.

(Ed. Note: NFL yearly attendance being pretty reliably around 17 million, Roger’s paycheck can be viewed as a $2 fee on every ticket for every fan for every game. I don't know about you, I want my money back.)

It is clear that the owners love Goodell. What is much less clear is - why? It’s almost unimaginable that there aren’t any number of competent executives who could produce comparable or (better yet) superior results for a smaller paycheck. You don’t have to be a Harvard MBA to know that hiring less competent help for more money is bad business. There’s no denying it.

What should be of grave concern to the owners is how quickly Goodell turned into a human wrecking ball after his new deal took effect in 2011. Since then, Roger has been up to his eyeballs in a series of monumental screw-ups that have damaged the reputation and the credibility of the league. You’d be hard pressed to identify a single situation that Goodell’s involvement hasn’t made worse. Yet, his apologists are routinely armed with a litany of rationalizations and excuses that only serve to underscore the lameness of their contention that Roger has any kind of any clue at all.

The sad fact of the matter is that Goodell is incompetent, overpaid and a world class prevaricator. In dealing with delicate business matters, his modus operandi has been to pull the pins out of as many hand grenades as he can find and then act surprised when things start exploding all around him. Even his supporters would admit that his public persona is obtuse, stubborn and condescending. And for the past decade, after regularly making a complete hash of things, he has been standing around with his hands in his pockets and a dumb look on his face while The NFL Money Train continues to roar through the station at an astonishing rate of speed. For this, Roger gets all of the credit and a Huge Paycheck.

Is Roger The Idiot Savant of Unprecedented Growth? It seems this is what the apologists and enablers would have us believe. Never mind all of the smoldering wreckage, broken furniture and mangled bodies lying around. Roger really is doing a great job. It’s the fans (and, I suppose, the players, coaches and officials) who don’t get it.

The Billionaire Boys Club is an insular environment where extreme wealth is all that matters. Money can be the single most addictive substance in the world; a tsunami of naked avarice overwhelmed NFL owners a long time ago. The owners are in love with Roger precisely because they sensed in him the same all-consuming greed they embrace every day.

In so doing, they bought into Roger’s absurd vision that this incredibly successful business enterprise needed, above all else, to grow massively bigger. And nothing - not the comfort of the fans, not the safety or dignity of the players, not the security of the disabled retirees who helped build the league into what it is today - can get in the way of that growth. Because when all is said and done, there is money, there is more money and there is even more money. Nothing else matters.

This is the very essence of the NFL’s very large problem known as Roger Goodell. Instead of introducing any sense of restraint and perspective, the Commissioner has successfully appealed to the owners’ very worst instincts. They are truly kindred spirits.

And this is why Roger Goodell stands to be the undoing of the great game of football.

I posted this in another thread but I am guessing that there has been so much cover-up between concussions, screwing players out of revenue, etc. that Roger has the owners by the short-hairs. That and I am also thinking that RG has agreed to be the fall guy if the concussion issue ever went to the federal indictment level.

If the **** really hit the fan, you don't want RG up there saying "I told the NFL Management Council that someone was going to die on the field and they told me to worry about $$$ and not players".

BTW- who's on that council - Jerry Richardson (Panthers) and Pat Bowlen (Broncos), the co-chairmen of the committee; Mara, Robert Kraft (Patriots), Jerry Jones (Cowboys), Art Rooney(Steelers), Clark Hunt (Chiefs), Mark Murphy (Packers), Dean Spanos(Chargers) and Mike Brown (Bengals). Guys how have been screwed by RG and yet they still smile and shake his hand.

The league is making gobs of money because people love football. But I predict a loss of fans if this BS continue. GoToHell is just a puppet whos strings are pulled by the owners, so they don't have to take the heat. He's a douche

The league is making gobs of money because people love football. But I predict a loss of fans if this BS continue. GoToHell is just a puppet whos strings are pulled by the owners, so they don't have to take the heat. He's a douche
I think they've been trading hardcore fans for casual fans. I'm guessing I'll get to watch the fall of the NFL in my lifetime and I'll certainly enjoy it.

What should be of grave concern to the owners is how quickly Goodell turned into a human wrecking ball after his new deal took effect in 2011.

Your verbage is enticing someone to photoshop Goodell onto that picture over Smiley Virus.

I posted this in another thread but I am guessing that there has been so much cover-up between concussions, screwing players out of revenue, etc. that Roger has the owners by the short-hairs. That and I am also thinking that RG has agreed to be the fall guy if the concussion issue ever went to the federal indictment level.

If the **** really hit the fan, you don't want RG up there saying "I told the NFL Management Council that someone was going to die on the field and they told me to worry about $$$ and not players".

BTW- who's on that council - Jerry Richardson (Panthers) and Pat Bowlen (Broncos), the co-chairmen of the committee; Mara, Robert Kraft (Patriots), Jerry Jones (Cowboys), Art Rooney(Steelers), Clark Hunt (Chiefs), Mark Murphy (Packers), Dean Spanos(Chargers) and Mike Brown (Bengals). Guys how have been screwed by RG and yet they still smile and shake his hand.
I agree, they hired someone they could control and to take the fall, someone with brains and a conscious would put a damper in their plan.

What BS? Unfair discipline of the Patriots? Most NFL fans LOVE that. Roger botched the Ray Rice thing, but he was already done as a player so it didn't affect the Ravens. What other teams has he screwed over, besides the Patriots?

Edit: Duh, Saints. So 2/32 have a legitimate beef (but still obviously patronize the league) and 30/32 don't.

Where are the handful of posters that claim Roger is responsible for skyrocketing NFL profits? It's hilarious when they post that crap.

Where are the handful of posters that claim Roger is responsible for skyrocketing NFL profits? It's hilarious when they post that crap.
Nobody is more responsible for the NFL's skyrocketing profits than Rupert Murdoch. Ever since the merger, the NFL had a cozy relationship with NBC and CBS until the mid-90's when Murdoch completely upended the status quo by throwing ridiculous amounts of money at the NFL. For over a decade, the league had 4 networks bidding for 3 packages and boy did they exploit that situation to the tune of billions of dollars.

Time proved that the value of broadcasting the NFL went beyond just the simple commercial revenue generated during NFL broadcasts. When CBS, and subsequently NBC, went without the NFL for a few years, their programming suffered across the board.

If we allow for the fact that ESPN and ABC are now the same company, all 4 networks have the NFL now, but the TV packages have kept going up and up - thanks to a trend started by Fox in 1994.

Nobody is more responsible for the NFL's skyrocketing profits than Rupert Murdoch. Ever since the merger, the NFL had a cozy relationship with NBC and CBS until the mid-90's when Murdoch completely upended the status quo by throwing ridiculous amounts of money at the NFL. For over a decade, the league had 4 networks bidding for 3 packages and boy did they exploit that situation to the tune of billions of dollars.

Time proved that the value of broadcasting the NFL went beyond just the simple commercial revenue generated during NFL broadcasts. When CBS, and subsequently NBC, went without the NFL for a few years, their programming suffered across the board.

If we allow for the fact that ESPN and ABC are now the same company, all 4 networks have the NFL now, but the TV packages have kept going up and up - thanks to a trend started by Fox in 1994.
Wow, I didn't know Murdoch invented fantasy football. <---- attempt at humor.

What BS? Unfair discipline of the Patriots? Most NFL fans LOVE that. Roger botched the Ray Rice thing, but he was already done as a player so it didn't affect the Ravens. What other teams has he screwed over, besides the Patriots?

Edit: Duh, Saints. So 2/32 have a legitimate beef (but still obviously patronize the league) and 30/32 don't.
So far. ...If this BS continues, I believe, in time, it will bite them in the ass. In due time....

Great word to use describing Goodell, "condescending". That's among the things I hate most about listening to that guy, I feel like he's talking to me personally when he speaks, and I'm being talked down to by some idiot with a Communications degree, who with all the right connections coming out of school couldn't accomplish anything better than an unpaid Jets internship.

And so right about the owners being able to hire whoever they want. They could attract nearly any Ivy League MBA with an accomplished career, and as you say, at half or less Goodell's salary. But they take the moron Jets intern. Why would any of the owners think they need to pay that idiot 40 + million. No one is trying to take that guy off your hands. That moron is not in any kind of demand, NONE. That guy would work for $100k a year, be happy about it, and still be overpaid.

The problem with administrations running major sporting leagues is all, and I do mean all, firmly believe an increase in revenue = success. They couldn't be more wrong.

The problem with administrations running major sporting leagues is all, and I do mean all, firmly believe an increase in revenue = success. They couldn't be more wrong.

Can you explain this seemingly nonsensical post?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft