PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adrian Phillips re-signed

We won’t find out until FA.

Like DMC, Mills might have better success at FS than CB.
Is Mills more of a zone corner like McCourty was? In which case it might work. Very intriguing.
Kind of like how the Bucs are trying Sherman (who I'm pretty sure is a zone corner) at free safety now.

Last edited:
Pretty Happy to hear this. Good player that seems to "Get" it.

Amazing Phillips will make $4 mil a year and JC Jackson is going to make $20 mil a year.

The economic disparity of the 2 positions. I'm not making a value judgement just an observation. From a salary cap standpoint JC will be considered 5x more important than Phillips.

Awesome signing! Hopefully jcj next.
We won’t find out until FA.
probably, but not necessarily. Phillips would also have been FA after this season, and as RW commented he would’ve found a strong market if he’d gone looking. But he didn‘t. no reason same can’t happen with JC if Bill opens the checkbook with a fair offer. Unlikely, but not impossible.

This FO just re-signed somebody currently on the injury report for knee & “illness” issues? And who’ll be already 30-1/2 when next season begins? Sounds kinda hasty, especially when considering that our Best DB still remains unsigned for next season.
Jean Valjean I presume?

Amazing Phillips will make $4 mil a year and JC Jackson is going to make $20 mil a year.
The economic disparity of the 2 positions. I'm not making a value judgement just an observation. From a salary cap standpoint JC will be considered 5x more important than Phillips.
if spotrac was right it would be more like 2x not 5x.

looks like Phillips took a big home team discount to stay with the Patriots. Gotta think he’s been around enough to know he’s in a good situation, and money can’t buy happiness. He will bank enough to be all set for the future, as long as he doesn’t blow it all on blow and bling. Great move to sign him. Hopefully it will prove infectious with the rest of the pending FAs.

same can’t happen with JC if Bill opens the checkbook with a fair offer. Unlikely, but not impossible.
With the season JCJ is having, him signing anything under highest paid CB in the league money prior to hitting free agency happening is just wishful thinking on fans' part. Doesn't mean he won't re-sign with the Patriots but he's going to see what offers he gets elsewhere first and force the Pats to tag him. His decision factors are "first" big $$$ free agency contract first and foremost, especially as an undrafted guy.

Phillips is an entirely different circumstance...late career guy, different life factors in his decision making.

Last edited:
Does DMC retire after this year? Any chance we reup him one more year?

Not what he once was, but still a nice presence back there.

Does DMC retire after this year? Any chance we reup him one more year?

Not what he once was, but still a nice presence back there.

1.) I think age and position have a lot onto do with Phillips getting 4 million per year and jackson getting 20 million per year.

2.) mccourty is still playing at a high level, I think bb signs him for another year.

Can jcj be franchised?

Not sure how they can pay dmac 10m per with phillips getting half that.

Awesome signing! Hopefully jcj next.

Wonder if dmc moves on and they slide mills to safety. Then we’d need to sign or draft a cb to go with jcj and jones… still a strong secondary imo as long as we can get that guy, preferably some depth as well.
Yeah, they could use the 2d rounder. :eek:

Can jcj be franchised?

Any player could be (Fran. ) unless they ask-get a no-franchise clause in their previous contract.

So they can keep him for at least one year if willing to pay.

Obviously, if they think he is not a 1-year wonder, it would be better to lock him up for longer at or (more-better ) under the franchise cost.

Glad to see this effort towards the end of this season, probably do not want to wait for the feeding frenzy that awaits when free agency starts and many teams overpay..

Technically the Pats extended Phillips, his contract was not up yet.

Good start at the 2022 team.

I suspect that this is the last year for Hightower, McCourty, and Slater.

Priority has to be signing JC Jackson and Trent Brown.

Can jcj be franchised?

Yes, Jackson can be franchised at over $17 million. I expect the Pats to franchise him if they don't sign him before the franchise deadline.

McCourty contract has been voided, much like Chung's was. I expect him to retire, either way, he won't be on the Pats in 2022.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back